aberdeen-music

Club Sapphire - Champagne & Cocktail Piano Lounge

Guest Neutral
If I wasn't at work I'd be conducting a search myself. Sounds hilarious.

Sadly I sit about 6 metres from surfcontrol and my interest in sexy robots would be around my department in a matter of seconds.

*awaits home time*

I bet youre just hoping they dont have "sexy robots" in their filter list, if they do they know now

• 1 month later...

Hah! Last night I was talking with Sandy Nairn, and he told me that he was "working round the corner". I was shocked at this because I couldn't imgaine anyone paying to see Sandy naked. Apart from Fi.

Anyway he told me that it wasn't a strip bar, and coaxed me along for a look.

The place was a pleasant surprise... and definately not a strip club. It's a piano bar, and is inspired by the 1940s. I got chatting to the guys that run it, and they were really nice people. It's a free house, they are totally independent, and they stock a decent range of booze. The toilets are among the nicest in Aberdeen, with - get this - real towels!

Up on stage there's a piano, they have a decent mic, and the vocal comes through nice and clear.

The dress code only applies at weekends, and I have the impression it's more a visual thing so that the punters are vaguely in keeping with the 1940s theme. Anyway they let me in.

The confusion about it's purpose may have come from people misinterpreting the website. I checked it out this morning and in all honesty would have come to the same conclusion. But having been there I can now see what they were trying to get across. Think 'Chicago' meets Raymond Chandler meets LA Confidential.

The closest they come to 'tits oot' is that once a month they run a burlesque night, which is fan-dancing - as in dancers with those huge feather fans. My understanding is that the dancers are not enturely nude and that the interesting bits are covered. The impression I got, and I suspect that Jimsin might be able to verify this, is that this night is closer to the sentiment of obedience school than teasers.

Apparently there was an internal issue where someone's mother took it apon herself to print up and distribute cheap flyers on pink card. They are very embarressed about this. I've got some of their real flyers to distribute in the bar, and they are much nicer.

They are looking for people to perform, and if you can sing and play piano then I'd recommend giving it a shot.

OK it's not Drakes, and it's a crime that Drakes shut down. But it was what... 2 years before these guys took it over? So give them a break. It's actually nice to see the old place open in a vaguley acceptable form. IMO they've made a nice job of the decor.

So ends the comment from someone that has actually been!

I was walking past the other ngiht as well and was invited in by the manager and Sandy as well.

Feels weird due to the fact that, yes, it used to be Drakes. but fuck me, the place is classy.

However, given that they invited me of all people in, shows they're not cunts. The guy was really nice and the bar seemed top notch.

People should check it out if they want a nice quiet drink etc

Yes - I'll admit that my initial impression of place based on flyers and website was that it was another tacky strip bar ... but no - is actually a really nice place, and staff are always really friendly and welcoming.

Bringing a burlesque night to Aberdeen is something that's been long overdue - performances are all about tease and comedy & are entertaining & non-sleazy.

Definitely a pleasant surprise & worth checking out for anybody who hasn't been in there yet.

Guest DustyDeviada
The toilets are among the nicest in Aberdeen, with - get this - real towels!

They don't have a guy in there with all the aftershave and stuff do they like Soul Bar, etc?

Bugs me having to pay a quid to take a slash.

Sounds good though, will check it out.

What's the weekend dress code again?

They don't have a guy in there with all the aftershave and stuff do they like Soul Bar, etc?

Bugs me having to pay a quid to take a slash.

You're not obliged to use those guys. I always make a point of getting them to move so I can use the handdryer, rather than feel like I have to give them money 'cause they handed me a towel.

So, the photo's on the web site dont represent the place at all then? Coz to be honest, it looks pretty dire on the site. I especially like the group of blokes on the stage, class... The 'wipe down' floors and wall are a good idea though...

Still a long time off before I head in I reckon, still pinches a smidge that the place ain't mine!

So, the photo's on the web site dont represent the place at all then? Coz to be honest, it looks pretty dire on the site. I especially like the group of blokes on the stage, class... The 'wipe down' floors and wall are a good idea though...

Still a long time off before I head in I reckon, still pinches a smidge that the place ain't mine!

It is much better in the flesh. The photos are not representative.

Understand how you feel, but at least it has remained independent, is offering something a little different, has had some money spent on it, and is not in the hands of the dude from O' Henry's ;)

It's better that it looks different inside, provides some closure.

Interesting factoid - that building is the place where Laura and I first held hands :) It was during a lock-in at the 'Last Ever Night of Buskers', and a bar brawl broke out as I was staring into her eyes, but I was so infatuated (and pissed) that I didn't even bother joining in LOL.

Ta... I'll get around to going in someday.

No reason for not going other than not going out much and having many great nights in there and many more hours than I had at home over two years so it may pinch the old nostalgia strings a little too much, initially!

A bar brawl started coz you were looking into Laura's eyes... Wow! I tip my bandana :up: :up: