aberdeen-music

Dons sign Brewster

Lemonade

It really signals our ambitions for a European place, signing a 40 year old striker! Especially when you consider that for the first time in years we actually already have 4 strikers who are all scoring; it's wages that could have been better used.

Mind you if he scores the winner against the huns on Saturday I'll eat my words.

From the BBC:

Former Dundee United manager Craig Brewster has signed for Aberdeen until the end of the season.

Kilmarnock and St Mirren were also interested in signing the 40-year-old free agent, before Brewster chose to sign for the Pittodrie outfit.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood was looking to strengthen the side following an injury to striker Lee Miller.

"I'll be in on Thursday to do the deal and I'm delighted to be joining Aberdeen," Brewster told The Express.

Interview: Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood

Brewster, who also managed Inverness Caledonian Thistle, played under Calderwood at Dunfermline.

The veteran forward had an unsuccessful spell in charge at United from January to October, before being replaced by Craig Levein.

"It was obviously hard to tell Jim (Jefferies, Kilmarnock manager) and Gus (MacPherson, St Mirren manager) that I would not be joining either of their clubs but they accepted the decision and I thank them for that," said Brewster.

"At the end of the day, I decided to go for Aberdeen because of my past experiences with the management team."

Meanwhile, the Dons match against third placed Rangers on Saturday is a sell-out with all 22,100 tickets being sold.

It really signals our ambitions for a European place, signing a 40 year old striker! Especially when you consider that for the first time in years we actually already have 4 strikers who are all scoring; it's wages that could have been better used.

Unlikely - he's not eligable to play till January 1st.

I don't think it's a bad signing - he's only there as cover for Miller (how ironic is that?) and Brewter was always a decent player at Dunfermilne.

Oh yeah I forgot they'd have to wait for the transfer window to open, I agree he was a decent player at Dunfermline, but he wasn't 40 then. Plus, I don't think we need a striker as much as we need a decent left back or a back-up keeper.

Talking of left backs, we've not seen much of Dan Smith. Thought he looked alright in his debut away to Buddies (and only game?). Soutar is alright, are you talking about cover beyond that? Age is but a number and if Brewster is fit to cover Miller then I'm happy enough. That's 3 decent (Lovell, Miller, Brewster) and one goalscoring (Mackie) strikers we've got. I guess Miller and Brewsters relationship may be soured by their time together at Utd?

Guest onlynik
Yep, the possibility of Miller playing upfront with the guy who terminated his contract at united for being lazy sounds awkward.

Maybe it was part of a rouse or larger plan so they could play together for the Dandies. :)

Diesel's a Killie man!

I think the age thing is irrelevant, nobody would be complaining if we had signed Teddy Sheringham.

I think Ready Teddy is in a league of his own - although Special Brew is/was/might still be a very good player.

On the age issue, my concern (as a Killie fan) was that the Big Man might have been past his sell-by date - we've had that plen-tee times at Rugby Park - McCoist, Andy Smith, Ross Jack, Ray Steven - all decent strikers, all signed a season too late.

Time waits for no man - even me :laughing: I had to quit playing this year, just because I could no longer keep up and I suspect Mr Brewster - who's ages with me - will suffer the same fate (albeit a mile's worth of rungs up the class ladder :laughing: ).

Diesel, you may just be the man to answer a quick pub debate question for me - Did McCoist ever score against Rangers for Killie in any competition? How bout against Celtic?

No - he never scored against either, but for some reason, he notched regularly against Hearts & Hibs.

McCoist did provide us with one piece of pure magic, when after taking absolute pelters from the Hearts fans about his weight, scored and hat-trick and on the 3rd goal, ran down the Main Stand side at Rugby Park with his his shirt up, waggling his bare, flabby belly at the cameras - total genius :up:

Supposedly Calderwood was hoping to sign a younger striker as cover, but under the new age discrimination legislation, he was obliged to make Brewster an offer when he came on the market.

I imagine Aberdeen's newest/oldest acquisition will be spectating on Saturday. You'll most likely find him sitting in the Main Stand... in the OAP section, naturally.