aberdeen-music

What are you learning to play?

• 4 weeks later...
Any Psyopus. I dare anyone to try that shit. acctually makes no scence.

Transcribing Ludovico Einaudi and Michael Nyman tunes from piano on to bass.

learning to sight read better. its pish.

Interesting! Heard some ludovico stuff on guitar but it wasn't quite up to scratch....

After seeing some 15 year old blitz his stuff on keyboard on Youtube I've sort of given up trying to learn....

Now working on fingerstyle, which is something I have never really done before.

Also trying to play walking bass lines and chords at the same time (half of what I need to do to play solo jazz guitar). This is also related to fingerstyle.

Trying to learn a harmony part for a song my metal band made up. I keep making mistakes when I try to play it.

I've also been learning various other jazz standards also and practicing soloing, which is one of my weakest areas.

Learning music from notation is sight reading practice. The 'sight reading books' are too boring for my liking, I am speaking as someone who practices scales in all keys along to a metranome, then speeds up the tempo in groups of 10 or 20 bpm until I can't play any fater, reduce tempo by 20 bpm, try to play faster than before until I have done enough.

The main thing is, keep playing and try to do some 'academic' type stuff as much as possible but you need to prevent yourself from losing interest eitherway.