aberdeen-music

Wanted: Xbox 360 console

brownie

You should try solid gold on union street, its across from the malt mill.

They are selling a premium pack (console + wireless controller + headset + hard drive + HD cables) + call of duty 3 + any other new game for 299.99.

The premium pack alone costs 279.99 in any other store!

Considering each new game normally costs you 44.99. you are technically getting the premium pack for 209.99! Its by far tyhe best deal iv seen.

They're not actually cheaper. By the time you buy a game, an extra remote/nunchuck and a classic controller, you're talking £280.

Yeah but once you buy a game and an extra controller for the xbox you're over that by a fair chunk again, so it is cheaper.

When I was in blockbuster the other day they were doing Xbox packs for £250 inc project gotham.

You should try solid gold on union street, its across from the malt mill.

They are selling a premium pack (console + wireless controller + headset + hard drive + HD cables) + call of duty 3 + any other new game for 299.99.

The premium pack alone costs 279.99 in any other store!

Considering each new game normally costs you 44.99. you are technically getting the premium pack for 209.99! Its by far tyhe best deal iv seen.

Many thanks and cheers for the pm:up:

Also, xbox 360's have a manufacturers garauntee of only ONE YEAR. Although the newer ones are perfectly fine, the older ones tend to be a little shady. Say for example some one is selling an 11month old system. You buy it, then it fooks after 1 month - you are screwed.

If you do decide to buy a second had one, solid gold will give you a 3 month money back garauntee, even if the console itself is 11 months old. Second hand Core packs are 170 i think, and premium packs are 210.

I still think the better deal is the brand new premium pack + call of duty 3 + any other new game = 299.99 as you will get a full year garauntee.

Steve

Yeah but once you buy a game and an extra controller for the xbox you're over that by a fair chunk again, so it is cheaper.

When I was in blockbuster the other day they were doing Xbox packs for £250 inc project gotham.

Yes. As you said, that deal (with a game and an extra pad) is cheaper than buying a wii + game + pad(s) for £280.

see also

Edit: and I'm not even including the cost of a 2gig SD card to save your Wii virtual console games (+£40 ish). I don't dislike the Wii (I own one) but the idea that it's a lot cheaper than the Xbox 360 is a total fantasy.

Yes. As you said, that deal (with a game and an extra pad) is cheaper than buying a wii + game + pad(s) for 280.

The deal I mentioned included one old game and only the one pad that came with the console. Which puts it level with the Wii and it's one game (Wii sports) and pad in the box. Once you add the extra controller and another game like you were suggesting it would again be more expensive.

Still some good deals kicking around for the xbox this christmas. It still makes the Wii look good that a new console + games + accessories is going for around the same price as a 1 year old console package. Perhaps a fairer comparison would be how much the Wii packages are next year compared to the xbox ones this year.

[big sigh]

Allow me to show my working. I'll use gamestation prices as they seem to be the most competitive on the high street (and I've researched this)

BTW I don't even like Gamestation, but thats another story.

For someone that wants a "bare bones" package (console, 1 game, 2 controllers) - lets not count wii sports as a full game in its own right (because it isn't)

Xbox 360

Core package console + 1 game + extra controller for £234.99

Wii

Console + 1 game = £209.99

+ extra wii remote at £29.99

+ nunchuck at £14.99

total price = £254.97

Now lets suppose someone wanted the full package with all of the above plus internet online play and downloadable retro games.

This requires a hard disk for the xbox. For the Wii this requires either the classic or gamecube controller + extra memory for VC games if we're being realistic (and trying to make a valid comparison).

Xbox 360

360 premium package + one game + extra controller = £304.99

Wii

Console + 1 game = £209.99

+ extra wii remote at £29.99

+ nunchuck at £14.99

+ 2 classic controllers at £14.99 each

+ 1Gb SD card at £24.99

Grand total = (that's right) £309.94

OK, OK. So you think Wii Sports is a real game (try telling that to the kids at Christmas). That's fine. We'll say thats the price for TWO games.

Oops, I forgot about the aforementioned solid gold 360 deal

Premium pack (console + wireless controller + headset + hard drive + HD cables) + call of duty 3 + any other new game for £299.99

Well, what do you know?

Yes, 360 prices have come down since it was launched. But does comparing this years Xbox prices to next years Wii prices really make any sense in the real world? i.e the world where someone faces the choice of buying one or the other, now.

Of course all of this is moot as you have little chance of purchasing a Wii before Christmas. Unless you find a "bargain" on eBay.

hey,

The first batch of consoles were apparently prone to having faults - thats why i reckon buying a second hand console isnt such a good idea. Apart from them, all the rest are totally fine, iv been playing mine loads and have had absolutely no bother whatsoever. Also, i know a load of other people who bought one recently (over the past 9/10 months) and they have had no problems :)

Steve