aberdeen-music

Malt Mill

malt mill

HI calling all LIVE music goers in Aberdeen we have recently taken over the Malt Mill and are looking for your views on how the music and the venue could be improved on .We are hoping to expand from just Fri /Sat to mid week and incorperate different jenres of music,So let's keep it live and post your suggestions !!:up:

HI calling all LIVE music goers in Aberdeen we have recently taken over the Malt Mill and are looking for your views on how the music and the venue could be improved on .We are hoping to expand from just Fri /Sat to mid week and incorperate different jenres of music,So let's keep it live and post your suggestions !!:up:

Cool - hope to get a gig there next year.

As Camie & Graeme rightly pointed out, a house PA would be good idea. My mates band played there recently and paid £250 for the hire - that's a lot of samolians just to play music.

Good luck with the venture and I hope you're well supported.

ps - at the risk of being pedantic - it's "genre" :)

Ok first thing is employ me as your full time booking agent with a wage and a percentage of the door.....:up:

Book quality covers and tribute bands for the weekends so as not to scare off the casual passing punters, and book original bands with the ocasional touring combo and local support during the week....

And you do need a decent PA. Its a fairly large investment, but well worth it.

When do I start?

G...

If i were you, the first thing i would do is change the name, because Malt Mill reeks of shit to most peoples ears.

I very much doubt thats going to happen, it costs a fortune to change/rebrand, the malt Mill may not have a good rep as a music venue but it has a fair few regulars etc who like it the way it is, it's more important to change the reputation than run away from it, because everyone would just go - aye the place that used to be the malt mill anyway.

I like the name the Malt Mill, the problem will be overcoming the prejudice many of the Aberdeen music 'scene' have about the place - rightly or wrongly. To do that the best bet is a new PA and to work hard along the lines of Graeme C's post imo. It would beeasy to spend a fortune on rebranding, when that fortune could be spent on improving the venue. The first step has been taken with the new owner coming on here and soliciting the view of the people here, the next step is to implement some changes etc. Its good to see a venue trying to improve and nice to have another musician owning a venue too :)

Cheers

Stuart

I very much doubt thats going to happen, it costs a fortune to change/rebrand, the malt Mill may not have a good rep as a music venue but it has a fair few regulars etc who like it the way it is, it's more important to change the reputation than run away from it, because everyone would just go - aye the place that used to be the malt mill anyway.

I like the name the Malt Mill, the problem will be overcoming the prejudice many of the Aberdeen music 'scene' have about the place - rightly or wrongly. To do that the best bet is a new PA and to work hard along the lines of Graeme C's post imo. It would beeasy to spend a fortune on rebranding, when that fortune could be spent on improving the venue. The first step has been taken with the new owner coming on here and soliciting the view of the people here, the next step is to implement some changes etc. Its good to see a venue trying to improve and nice to have another musician owning a venue too :)

Cheers

Stuart

Jester is right, there's fuck-all wrong with the name - at least it has an air of tradition about it.

Aberdeen is already full of pubs/clubs with stupid misspelt, "clever" or faux Irish names. Fuck thon.

Have a drinks promotion and get the bands on a bit earlier as well - I recently went there to see "Hush" and they weren't on 'til after 10:00pm and a few folks had got fed up and gone home by then - which is a shame as they were excellent.

Have a warm up band playing crowd pleasers and maybe a couple of solo acts (one for you Hog?) to keep the momentum going.

Have a drinks promotion and get the bands on a bit earlier as well - I recently went there to see "Hush" and they weren't on 'til after 10:00pm and a few folks had got fed up and gone home by then - which is a shame as they were excellent.

Have a warm up band playing crowd pleasers and maybe a couple of solo acts (one for you Hog?) to keep the momentum going.

They have some really cheap drinks for students but it isn't advertised well.

Guest Kilgore Trout

Cheers

Stuart

my prejudice is fairly well founded. played there twice. not good. bad sound,bad atmosphere. been to a fair few gigs. bad bands, bad sounds. going to take a lot to change my mind. the bar upstairs is great though.

if a good band ever plays there though i'll give it a shot.

cant see it happening.

good luck to all who sail in her tho'

peace out doubba dawg.

etc.

your prejudices about the aberdeen "scene" are howerver crippilingly innacurate.

damn straight.

I've played a a couple of times in the Malt Mill (plus quite often at Simon Gall's open-mikes), and didn't mind the sound (but being solo made it easier for me). Showing the bands on the video screens in the sidey bit is a good idea (but with abetter video camera).

I've always liked the Malt Mill, as it's handy for my flat, so I'd love to see the likes of Interesting Music, Vocoustics, Zoghurt etc putting on nights there...it's a cosy place, and would really suit intimate acoustic stuff. The bad atmosphere mentioned above would be alleviated by outside promoters bringing their regular crowds.

The only name change I would like to see would be back to Aitken's Bar:up:

your prejudices about the aberdeen "scene" are howerver crippilingly innacurate.

damn straight.

Erm I don't have any prejudice's about the 'scene', I'm just commenting that there is prejudice against the Malt Mill and some of that is fair and some of it isn't, but imo there's nothing that good bands and a good sound system couldn't fix. I didnt say that the prejudice was unfounded just that it's there, and I dont think anyone who's ever read the threads on here previously about the Malt Mill would have to agree.

Cheers

Stuart

• 2 months later...

Hi, Phoned a friend and found out :gringo: The steamers have only one gig in August, and no gigs the rest of the year, they are unsure as to why this has happened themselves and have said they will play the malty more if asked as they like playing there.I think it would be a big miss if you loose this band as they cater for a load of genres and ages, Bring on THE STEAMERS.:up:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Sex....? what that....I forget!!

I have never played bass for any employee of the church!

the malt mills still there. the set up is jist as shit.

the bar upstairs is still great-

ach well.

yer a funny cunt G,

whens the dvd coming out with billy equally funny connolly?

haaargh!

in the interests of ab-music i'll easy book agig for the malt mill and then post feedback/bootleg

G- do u still have a BAND?

ETC///

seriously though.

nithin'