aberdeen-music

Musical Vision

Camie

Booking a room by text is great. It's much better than ringing up with a slot in mind, and they don't have it so you have to ring back when you've rallied round your band. You can actually ring that mobile number, or their landline number to book as well, if you don't like texting. I don't see what's so bad about the list on the wall telling you what room you're in either. That seems a bit nitpicky, as it's pretty straight forward, and helpful if Andy is in one of the rooms cleaning up after messy bands or fixing stuff.

Yeah, they don't sell strings, but I've forgotton picks, straps and cables before and always managed to borrow one.

The amps are good too. I've only ever used one shit amp, and that was that Rooster amp, which was only shit because all the knobs had been broken off, so it couldn't be equalised. The rest are pretty awesome. The amps at Toms in every room are terrible, with no exception. That's the most important factor for me, anyway. Obviously singers and drummers may have different views.

They even have music stands!

Difficult one. I remember when it first opened Andy had a "vision" of having quality amps etc.

Unfortunately, people take the piss, come in and don't look after stuff properly, it's little wonder that they revert to using crappy stuff that won't break.

As one member of our band commented of an amp at MV recently - "Sessionette? Toilet more like."

The amps are good too. I've only ever used one shit amp, and that was that Rooster amp, which was only shit because all the knobs had been broken off, so it couldn't be equalised. The rest are pretty awesome. The amps at Toms in every room are terrible, with no exception. That's the most important factor for me, anyway. Obviously singers and drummers may have different views.

What I like about Toms is that the gear is the same in every room. You know where you stand with a Marshall stack - you can pretty much just plug in and play. At MV I have to spend the first 20 minutes of the jam trying to figure the amp out and fucking around with the settings.

I like both places. You can get a similar level of recording at both places for similar price. Although I think the shift in focus for MV has perhaps changed recently with the conversion of the control room into another practice room. I think they have slightly different appeals which is good as it means they can both get by. I don't imagine running a practice studio is an easy business, even cheap gear is expensive to maintain to the standards expected. I think they do a good job for the numbers of people that use them.

If you want a better amp to play with in Tom's I guess just bring your own, if it's better. If you don't understand how to use the amps at MV, bring your own if you know that is where you are practising. If you don't understand how to set up all the gear in either place someone will give you a hand. I've never had problems asking for help. There are sometimes issues with getting some of the PAs in vision sounding good for vocals - give Andy a shout for that. You can equally have that problem in Tom's if everything is up too loud. Sometimes it's about restraining the volume of the amps.

Of course there is always room for improvement but I don't see anyone else putting their head on the chopping block to provide the service.

We always practice in MV. It's the best price that I know of in Aberdeen (where everywhere is a total rip-off compared to Glasgow), and they give you discounts if you practice there regularly. Good sized rooms and good equipment. I absolutely love the text-booking system, it's great to be able to fire off a text when you're at work or uni or whatever.

They've always been good at lending us cables and what have you when we've forgotten them.

The only criticisms would be occasionally the mics are baws/broken and we have to go in search of a replacement. Same with the amps on occasion; you go in and there's like one combo guitar amp and a random cab kicking about. We always get sorted with the good stuff in the end when we go and ask for a better mic/amp though, so I guess it's just an organisation thing.

As I say, overall I think it's the best place in Aberdeen. Toms is the only real contender, but 15/hr makes me want to weep.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like to redress the balance by saying that I think Musical Vision is absolute shite. The PAs are hopeless, they are way too quiet and if you try to turn them up loud enough to actually hear your singer, they just feed back. It's a lottery whether you get a good guitar amp or an old battered piece of shit, the rooms in the middle have hard walls and a wooden floor, which is hardly ideal for acoustics, and half the drum kits are falling to bits. And 10/10 for "helpfulness" and "banter"? Are you high? It's completely impersonal in there - book a room by text? Fuck me, is it so difficult to have someone answer the phone? Then you walk in to be greeted by a bit of paper on the wall telling you what room to go into, nobody bothers talking to you at all because the staff have locked themselves in the office to smoke weed, and there's nobody around to ask questions if some of the gear isn't working or whatever. It's one of the most unfriendly places I've ever been to. Also: Need a string? Tough shit. Forgot a plectrum? Tough shit. Forgotten a strap / battery for your pedal run out / cable broken? Tough shit.

What pisses me off most about it is that MV has the potential to be fantastic with what they've got there, it just reeks of laziness and half-assedness.

Thanks for your kind words.

I can quickly set up any pa in a any room to your requirements if you are having problems. Interesting as Brian is not a quiet singer . . sounds like a mike placement problem?

I favour older amps as they are easier to fix compared to the thin pcbs on modern ones. I admit i dont like the peavey gtr amp or solid state marshall very much but i can get a useable sound out of either one. And some people like them and ask for them. The sessionette is brilliant provided you use the clean channel and a pedaI (especially if you hook up another cab). Same with the JC-120's .I try and keep the valve amps going but its hard due to the level of misuse they have to put up with. I put out what I can and try and fix the rest. Not everyone likes Marshalls.

The drum kits . . yes very true they have issues from time to time. I spend a couple of grand a year on hardware alone. Ever wondered why every drumkit in every Aberdeen venue is a bit ratty? Because the people who use them don't own them and don't care how brutal they are adjusting them. I do the best i can given limited funds

Hard walls and wooden floors? As opposed to what? Ones made of custard? There are sound dampening measures in place just because they are not expensive sculpted foam doesn't mean they don't do the job. All the rooms and bits of equipment are are someones favourite, dont see why i should make them all the same.

I agree we should stock strings but we've had plectrums for ages . . but we are NOT a music retail store! Batteries sweeties and juice are available from Morrisons garage 100yds away at prices we couldn;t possibly compete with. Generally people manage to remember their equipment before they leave the house? and if you forgot your lead or strap theres usually ones lying about in the office . . I say usually because a whole lot of them get stolen . And there are sets of old strings in the office if you ask you'll get one gratis if you can find the right gauge.

That'll be the locked office , automatically locked with a keycode everytime its closed because we have been robbed before. Please knock ? I find the locked in the office to smoke weed jibe very below the belt.

We are building a reception desk at the moment as we realise it would be good to have someone at the front to meet and greet,

I admit my associates are not very technically minded . . i have tried to address that issue but they, i'll admit , have not grasped the basic concepts yet. One is a jazz guitarist the other a brass player.

As to the texting thing and the sheets, are YOU high?

Its a studio. There's noise, there's recording sessions i cant afford to employ someone to sit by a phone 11 hours a day. Plus with texts i have a note of whats been agreed which makes sense to me. But i do answer the phone when i can..

Basically I'm doing the best I can given the resources available, I have met you and am a bit disappointed by the tone of your post. I hope i have answered your points and have tried to keep this to an acceptable tone, even though according to you i am lazy and half assed. Thanks for that.

Onward and upward.

• Upvote 3

Fact - M.V is reasonably priced, which should be enough for most folk in this not - so reasonably priced town. If you cant find an amp that suits you in there then i suggest you try "line-dancing" or "knitting" or something else cos thats just silly talk, there is an amp for any style of music that you require...if not grow up and bring your'e fuckin own!

Ive been using it now for 4 years and cant remember once a p.a feeding back or not being able to hear it? every issue that any of the bands ive been in has been with dealt with accordingly? also, never once have i walked and there not been someone there to let you no of any room changes or just what room you're in?

Tom's or M.V? who gives a fuck? you'll use one or the other, but to slag folks businesses off with random acusations about god knows what is just shite form!

Guest Gladstone

To be honest, I doubt Lucky just made that stuff up for a laugh. I'm sure it will have been based on his own experience of MV.

I've never rehearsed in MV before, so can't comment. I did have a look on the website for some prices just out of interest and there are no prices on there. Anyone care to tell me how much it costs to practise there??

Guest idol_wild
Tom's or M.V? who gives a fuck? you'll use one or the other, but to slag folks businesses off with random acusations about god knows what is just shite form!

To be fair - Lucky Rathen has paid to use the services on offer from Musical Vision, and he wasn't impressed. As a paying customer, he is completely entitled to express his views and experiences publically. Aside from the weed smoking thing, there was no accusations thrown about at all, be it "random" or otherwise. Lucky Rathen's post was not poor form at all - he was simply sharing his experiences of a service he paid for, and experiences and views that were actually asked for on the very first post of this thread.

I may not agree with his sentiment, but posting aggressive responses to Lucky Rathen purely because he aired his views is pretty shite form.

Think the official rate is 13 or 14 but if you practise there regularly you can end up getting discounts.

Toms is 15 an hour right?

I actually think it might have been 12 an hour when I've been at MV... But to be honest I'm just plucking numbers out of the clear blue fucking sky now... Minimal difference to though and I'd happily pay the extra 3-4 for Toms, only downside is that Toms tends to be pretty heavily booked so disorganised, last minute practises are difficult.

xx

Taken from MV website:

Tariffs

Room 4,5 and 7: 1 hr 13.50, 3hrs 37 , 4 hrs 42.50, 5 hrs 45

Room 2 (max 4 people) : 10 per hour or 4 hrs 35

Solo Practice 6 per hour (when available)

Off Peak Discounts: Mon-fri 9am-6pm and between

Fri 6pm-Sun 6pm 10 per hour or 4 for 32, 5 for 40

And from Toms:

RATES & BOOKING

Band Rehearsal 15/hr

This is our flat rate, please see below for our deals.

Solo Rehearsal 7.50/hr

one person in room, can be for any instrument

Instrument Hire 1/hr

for in-house use only - electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, congas, cymbal sets (16, 18, 20) & double kick pedals.

DEALS

3hrs Daytime Deal 30

3hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-6 or Sat 12-9)

6hrs Daytime Deal 50

6hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-6)

6hrs Evening Deal 75

6hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 6-12)

10hrs Weekday Deal 100

10hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-10)

xx

Guest Gladstone
Taken from MV website:

Tariffs

Room 4,5 and 7: 1 hr 13.50, 3hrs 37 , 4 hrs 42.50, 5 hrs 45

Room 2 (max 4 people) : 10 per hour or 4 hrs 35

Solo Practice 6 per hour (when available)

Off Peak Discounts: Mon-fri 9am-6pm and between

Fri 6pm-Sun 6pm 10 per hour or 4 for 32, 5 for 40

And from Toms:

RATES & BOOKING

Band Rehearsal 15/hr

This is our flat rate, please see below for our deals.

Solo Rehearsal 7.50/hr

one person in room, can be for any instrument

Instrument Hire 1/hr

for in-house use only - electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, congas, cymbal sets (16, 18, 20) & double kick pedals.

DEALS

3hrs Daytime Deal 30

3hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-6 or Sat 12-9)

6hrs Daytime Deal 50

6hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-6)

6hrs Evening Deal 75

6hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 6-12)

10hrs Weekday Deal 100

10hrs rehearsal time (Mon-Fri 12-10)

xx

Ah - I didn't see the tabs down the side of the homepage, perhaps because I'm a fucking idiot...

MASSIVE EDIT - I just read that again, and you'd quoted Tom's prices as well. I see it is a bitty cheaper than Tom's!

Totally done to death. I sometimes go up to Toms for a jam myself when I get sick of the sight of this place. We both have the same sort of service there is no great debate here, at least if ya have to practice on a tue night because the drummer cant make it on any other night or summat . . you have 2 places to phone!

Nuff said.:up:

Guest Gladstone

I don't see what the problem is with people in bands from Aberdeen continuing to discuss the merits of both places (and/or any other rehearsal spaces there may be).

I've never been in MV, and it's better to get a current opinion on the place than a 3 year old opinion of the place.

Some folk may be new to being in a band or whatever.

Prices / equipment / people change.

Why wouldn't you want people discussing MV? Fair enough you don't want negative comments, but surely you can even take something from the negative feedback? And I don't mean get in a slagging match on Ab-music.com, just read the negative comments and see if there's anything you could do better.

I don't see what the problem is with people in bands from Aberdeen continuing to discuss the merits of both places (and/or any other rehearsal spaces there may be).

I've never been in MV, and it's better to get a current opinion on the place than a 3 year old opinion of the place.

Some folk may be new to being in a band or whatever.

Prices / equipment / people change.

Why wouldn't you want people discussing MV? Fair enough you don't want negative comments, but surely you can even take something from the negative feedback? And I don't mean get in a slagging match on Ab-music.com, just read the negative comments and see if there's anything you could do better.

I just feel some of the comments are harsh and unjust.