aberdeen-music

Musical Vision

Camie

There is barely any mention of this place but was wondering if anyone else has tried Musical Vision?

Been practicing there for about 2 weeks now and it's highly recommended in my books.

Top equipment and a great sound, especially for drums and vocals. The room we've currently practiced in has been better than any of the rooms in Captain Toms.

Although the banter isn't as good as Tom's and doesn't feel as organised as Tom's(both of which are mere intangible benefits) I'd say Musical Vision was worth a try.

I'm sure Musical Vision has been mentioned before here, but maybe not given it's own thread...

I've had a handful of practices there, and I can say it's the best place I've been to in Aberdeen. Initially I had heard quite mixed things about it, so I was a bit put off from trying it out, but I'm glad I finally did.

The sound of the rooms is very good (you can hear everyone!), and the equipment is very nice as well. I don't know how they treat equipment failures, as one of the best things about Captain Toms was that if something broke down, you can immediatley get a replacement without any grief or extra cost.

Guest DustyDeviada

Been using it for ages, I prefer it to Tom's overall, slightly cheaper and easier parking. Andy is a great player himself so the gear is all of good quality and they've always been on hand quickly on the odd occassions when I've had minor problems with the gear.

oh and man, the place could do with a bit of a tidy.

o_O Have you seen the state of Tom's? It's a total manky shithole, Musical Vision is immaculate in comparison. That said, don't really have any problem with Tom's, but Musical Vision is my first port of call.

Been playing there since it opened, its like a 4th home. Recording there is definately a good idea too, we have some excellent quality recordings using our songs and Andy's enthusiasm. If you like a beautiful guitar sound on your recording then you couldn't do much better than going down to Vision. Maybe take your own Drum kit.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

I think Musical Vision is 'bursting with the banter'!!

All of the staff are qualified practising enthusiastic musicians who are really approachable and friendly. Their rates are reasonable too. If there was any way that I could fault them it would be that they should have some things available to buy ie. guitar strings, drinks, etc. I feel like I live there sometimes, but hey the place has character :-)

Been using it for ages, I prefer it to Tom's overall, slightly cheaper and easier parking. Andy is a great player himself so the gear is all of good quality and they've always been on hand quickly on the odd occassions when I've had minor problems with the gear.

Where as Tom, Paul, Q, Sid & Ricky can't play for toffee !?! o_O

Guest DustyDeviada
Where as Tom, Paul, Q, Sid & Ricky can't play for toffee !?! o_O

Don't know, never heard them. I'm a guitarist so that's the only area I really know about, and I know that Andy is a great guitar player who cares about tone and therefore Musical Vision has great guitar amps, far better than the solid state Laneys that they have at Tom's.

Don't know, never heard them. I'm a guitarist so that's the only area I really know about, and I know that Andy is a great guitar player who cares about tone and therefore Musical Vision has great guitar amps, far better than the solid state Laneys that they have at Tom's.

I haven't heard Tom for a few years right enough... Last time was a gig in the Dungeon so that'll give you an idea!...... You've surely heard of Eddison and Karloff though.... :up:

• 3 years later...

Musical Vision is really picking up now and they have a new room that has been built (room 6) and i understand that a lot of money has been spent on soundproofing which gives the room a really bright sound. the proper old school amp are really crystal clear and the equipment upgrading is coming thick and fast.

They must have spent a lot on advertising this year as every place you turn just now you see something about the studio and free lessons that they are offering , even a info stall at Aberdeen collage.

Banter 10 out of 10

Equipment 10 out of 10

Room availability 10 out of 10

Knowledge and helpfulness 10 out of 10

Musical Vision is really picking up now and they have a new room that has been built (room 6) and i understand that a lot of money has been spent on soundproofing which gives the room a really bright sound. the proper old school amp are really crystal clear and the equipment upgrading is coming thick and fast.

They must have spent a lot on advertising this year as every place you turn just now you see something about the studio and free lessons that they are offering , even a info stall at Aberdeen collage.

Banter 10 out of 10

Equipment 10 out of 10

Wow - they must be really good to have impressed you so much, 'random customer'...

*pay for your advertising please*

Banter 10 out of 10

Equipment 10 out of 10

I'd like to redress the balance by saying that I think Musical Vision is absolute shite. The PAs are hopeless, they are way too quiet and if you try to turn them up loud enough to actually hear your singer, they just feed back. It's a lottery whether you get a good guitar amp or an old battered piece of shit, the rooms in the middle have hard walls and a wooden floor, which is hardly ideal for acoustics, and half the drum kits are falling to bits. And 10/10 for "helpfulness" and "banter"? Are you high? It's completely impersonal in there - book a room by text? Fuck me, is it so difficult to have someone answer the phone? Then you walk in to be greeted by a bit of paper on the wall telling you what room to go into, nobody bothers talking to you at all because the staff have locked themselves in the office to smoke weed, and there's nobody around to ask questions if some of the gear isn't working or whatever. It's one of the most unfriendly places I've ever been to. Also: Need a string? Tough shit. Forgot a plectrum? Tough shit. Forgotten a strap / battery for your pedal run out / cable broken? Tough shit.

What pisses me off most about it is that MV has the potential to be fantastic with what they've got there, it just reeks of laziness and half-assedness.

I'd like to redress the balance by saying that I think Musical Vision is absolute shite. The PAs are hopeless, they are way too quiet and if you try to turn them up loud enough to actually hear your singer, they just feed back. It's a lottery whether you get a good guitar amp or an old battered piece of shit, the rooms in the middle have hard walls and a wooden floor, which is hardly ideal for acoustics, and half the drum kits are falling to bits. And 10/10 for "helpfulness" and "banter"? Are you high? It's completely impersonal in there - book a room by text? Fuck me, is it so difficult to have someone answer the phone? Then you walk in to be greeted by a bit of paper on the wall telling you what room to go into, nobody bothers talking to you at all because the staff have locked themselves in the office to smoke weed, and there's nobody around to ask questions if some of the gear isn't working or whatever. It's one of the most unfriendly places I've ever been to. Also: Need a string? Tough shit. Forgot a plectrum? Tough shit. Forgotten a strap / battery for your pedal run out / cable broken? Tough shit.

What pisses me off most about it is that MV has the potential to be fantastic with what they've got there, it just reeks of laziness and half-assedness.

Generally I agree here, especially about the lottery of guitar amps, but that said I have been able to borrow a distortion pedal or guitar lead during practise due to our gear being fucked..

on the whole though i'd give it a miss, toms all the way

xx