aberdeen-music

Nintendo DS

Sam_b

I was thinking about saving up for a DS for when i'm away next year. Had a play of one last night and thought that it was pretty good. In the long run, is it a good buy? I know its got more battery life than a PSP and around 50 quid cheaper as well according to Argos; but then again the PSP seems a lot easier to download games and stuff to.

Any reccommendations?

I was thinking about saving up for a DS for when i'm away next year. Had a play of one last night and thought that it was pretty good. In the long run, is it a good buy? I know its got more battery life than a PSP and around 50 quid cheaper as well according to Argos; but then again the PSP seems a lot easier to download games and stuff to.

Any reccommendations?

Yes, don't steal software.

I bought a PSP, then spent a few months admiring how nice it looked before selling it to pay for an MP3 player. Aside from a couple of special editions of PS2 licenses and the deluge of retro releases it's getting just now it has very little in the way of good games. The DS seems much more fun.

Yeah, get Metroid, Wario Ware and Ouendan (Elite Beat Agents) as well. IMHO the PSP is an impressive piece of hardware but is less practical as a handheld due its to poor battery life, size, expense and difficulty protecting the (lovely) screen.

The problem with running homebrew games and applications on the PSP is that Sony keeps updating the firmware with most new units so that people cannot exploit the vulnerabilities on the old models that allowed you to run these programs in the first place. This could be a pain in the arse trying to find versions of programs that will run on your PSP version, and also, a lot of emulators that were ported to PSP won't work anymore as they were created to work before version 1.5 of the firmware came out, so fat chance of getting emulators to run on it.

It is possible to run homebrew on your DS but that requires flashing the ROM (overwriting parts of the current DS firmware) and other things, but it looks like it won't be worth it because there is a chance your DS will blow up in your hands when you push a toothpick covered in tin foil into this screw during the flashing and it is placed right next to another screw which could short circuit everything.

But I recommend a DS. Final Fantasy III is a lovely little RPG. :)