aberdeen-music

Internet connection problem

medichi

Bit of a vague one this:

On AOL broadband with wireless router (NetGear). From startup can usually connect no problems for an undetermined length of time when the connection will suddenly cut out. Will then be unable to connect until I've shut down and restarted. Bit f*&cking annoying, so any answers greatfully received....

Bit of a vague one this:

On AOL broadband with wireless router (NetGear). From startup can usually connect no problems for an undetermined length of time when the connection will suddenly cut out. Will then be unable to connect until I've shut down and restarted. Bit f*&cking annoying, so any answers greatfully received....

Hmm...is your router configured with a connection time-out value? i.e. is it set-up to disconnect the broadband connection after x minutes of inactivity? I know most routers have this setting but it's usually disabled by default and so doesn't usually cause problems. Certainly something to rule out though.

Could just be that Netgear products are inherently shitty. Had a D-Link router in the flat that would need an occasional reboot every 2 months or so. The Netgear at my old man's needs a reboot twice a day.

Bought two lots of their USB wireless adapters in a previous job, based on the great reviews their stuff gets. Two different versions, one worked a treat - but was discontinued, the second lot dropped connection all the time (after all the software updates were run) and all ended up going back.

Wouldn't touch Netgear stuff now.

Guest onlynik
Bit of a vague one this:

Not sure if its your router or your wireless card. If you are saying that the only way to fix it is to reboot your PC then I'm inclinced to think it your wireles card.

When it happens again try this

Start then run and in the run box type 'cmd' (no quotes)

This will open a command box which is normally black

In this type 'ipconfig' (again no quotes)

take a note of the default gateway address, it might be 192.168.0.1 or similar

then again in the command box

type 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' where the xxx's are you default gateway address. The default gateway is your router if you get something like this

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

You can't connect to your router and the problem might be your wireless card.

Try it with a wired connection.