aberdeen-music

Serial killer in Ipswich?

Rachie

Apparently 2 more women have been reported missing in Ipswich on top of the 3 bodies already found...

BBC NEWS | England | Suffolk | Fifth prostitute reported missing

Bit creepy :( echos of the Yorkshire Ripper murders... but without the gore.

The odd thing is, they weren't sexually assaulted. So this guy must just have some kind of grudge with prostitutes or he just sees them as an easier target to kill.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Lots of parallels w/Peter Sutcliffe here, someone with a grudge against working girls as if they didn't have enough shit to cope with.

Still, new Macabre concept LP out soon.

It's all over the news here, we get the inbred East Anglia news rather than London - so everything is all rather "WE NEED INFORMATION" at the minute.

Yours is way more exciting. The Londonshire news always, without fail goes along the lines of "water shortage"..."pretentious twat opens new gallery that will no doubt close again within a week"..."muslims feel isolated".

None of Bible John's victims were prostitutes though.

2 more bodies found.

BBC NEWS | England | Suffolk | Murder police find two more dead

Well I didn't want to make the obvious Peter Sutcliffe/Jack The Ripper connotations.

The perp obviousoly wants to get caught otherwise he would have gone to Dead Hooker Storage for all your dead prozzie needs

hehe, cute :)

On a more serious note, is there actually a reason why brothels aren't legalised? Surely it's better to have a few houses of ill repute than entire streets worth of 'red light district', in the badly lit, scummy as fuck ends of town. Is it any wonder that prostitutes are targetted so often? Just because they're allowed to go about their business in certain areas of town doesn't mean it's any safer for them.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
On a more serious note, is there actually a reason why brothels aren't legalised? Surely it's better to have a few houses of ill repute than entire streets worth of 'red light district', in the badly lit, scummy as fuck ends of town. Is it any wonder that prostitutes are targetted so often? Just because they're allowed to go about their business in certain areas of town doesn't mean it's any safer for them.

Spot on, the sooner it's legalised the safer it will be for them. The NIMBY's would have a field day, though.

Spot on, the sooner it's legalised the safer it will be for them. The NIMBY's would have a field day, though.

that's the thing that amuses me though, on the ch4 news tonight a reporter said that the streets in Ipswich where most of the girls are working (i believe it's a red light area too) are quiet, nondescript residential streets. If I lived there I'd have no problem living near to a properly licensed brothel with regular police checks and security for the girls compared to having my kids seeing discarded condoms on their front step or worse, the oh-so-ladylike 'squat and wipe'.

Fuck it, get rid of the hooker/prostitute label and bring back courtensans a la The Moulin Rouge. Corsets, absinthe and consumption, hurrah!

Note on the BBC website when it links to "how should we tackle prostitution/should we legalise it" type content, it still goes to the story of how Aberdeen made a "tolerance zone".

One of the few smart things the council has done - especially making it in a more industrialised zone as opposed to a residential area.

Legalised brothels could also make it easier to keep checks on the health of the girls too.

I totally disagree, the red light area in Aberdeen was exactly what I had in mind when I said these things are usually in the badly lit, scummy areas. I don't make a habit of being in that area, but driving back from the beach or Asda (especially when it's dark at 4pm) you can't help but notice how shady these areas are. Not to mention that the 'tolerance zone' is mere minutes from the high rise flats that have an appallingly high amount of domestic violence/drug abuse/murder.

The problem is that the punters simply wouldn't go to well lit, monitored areas because they're worried about being caught out. It's not a situation that's going to be easily sorted.

I totally disagree, the red light area in Aberdeen was exactly what I had in mind when I said these things are usually in the badly lit, scummy areas. I don't make a habit of being in that area, but driving back from the beach or Asda (especially when it's dark at 4pm) you can't help but notice how shady these areas are. Not to mention that the 'tolerance zone' is mere minutes from the high rise flats that have an appallingly high amount of domestic violence/drug abuse/murder.

The problem is that the punters simply wouldn't go to well lit, monitored areas because they're worried about being caught out. It's not a situation that's going to be easily sorted.

A legalised brothel in a residential area would devalue surrounding properties too. There'd be uproar.

Thinking about it brought this story to mind: The Scotsman - Scotland - Brothel that drove out neighbours is closed by an ASBO :)