aberdeen-music

Skindred Tonight

See the first reply, Camie :p

Aye, I didn't think they were ever going to come on but they made up for wasted time once they took to the stage. I can't believe I used to really not like Skindred. They put their usual live shindig, with Benji providing some lols. The whole starting and stopping got on my nerves again but the crowd lapped it up. Disappointed with the lack of new material, and the fact they only played one song that's not off Babylon. The Fear, Set It Off and the Pressure story/makover were highlights.

Dub Trio were on fire. Really tight and loud and when they were rocking, they were rocking. Really listenable stuff. Not particulalry amazing to watch, what with no lyrics or banter, but the music more than made up for it.

Great gig for Contra too. Despite the crowd being distant and quiet, they did what they do best. Gerald always looks like he's having the most fun on stage, and that's great to watch. Heavy Brain Damage is such a TUNE! Will be giving the new CD a few spins later.

Overall, 8 well spent. Shame there seemed to be about half the people there was at the last Skindred gig.

Oh, and that piece of "art" opposite the Tunnels... nice o_O

I paid my 8 quid just to see dub trio, and I was very happy to part with the cash. I don't think they dissapointed at all. so tight, amazing riffs (last two songs especially)...shame mr Patton didn't make an entrance.... he he.

Laughed so much at the first 3 songs of skindred, wished I was 18 again, and went home not wanting to taint the memories of dub trio.

great band, great sound, great LP.

peep

ps...the art...poor bugger. performance works always generate sympathy in me...oh the sheer pointlessness of it all.

Like Lepeep I went just to see Dub Trio and really enjoyed their set. Very talented band with an interesting take on dubcore, an update of Bad Brains if you will. Amazing bass sound - I wonder if they like dubstep??

More ROIR acts would be welcomed at the Tunnels...

I never stayed for Skindred - enjoyed DT too much and was rather tired,

Dave

I paid my 8 quid just to see dub trio, and I was very happy to part with the cash. I don't think they dissapointed at all. so tight, amazing riffs (last two songs especially)...shame mr Patton didn't make an entrance.... he he.

Laughed so much at the first 3 songs of skindred, wished I was 18 again, and went home not wanting to taint the memories of dub trio.

great band, great sound, great LP.

peep

ps...the art...poor bugger. performance works always generate sympathy in me...oh the sheer pointlessness of it all.

• 1 year later...

Those who dig Skindred may also wanna check out Benji's previous outfit Dub War, and you can do so here: MySpace.com - Dub War - Newport, UK - Rock / Reggae / Punk - www.myspace.com/psychosystem

I used to be friends with the man who handled the band - manager and Words Of Warning label supremo Karl Horton. Sold several WOW releases on his behalf via my distro, including the split 7" from Aberdeen's Toxik Ephex who'd teamed up with Shrapnel. Some folks may know Words Of Warning best as having launched King Prawn and Blaggers ITA.