aberdeen-music

Best recent TV performance?

emilsgremils

I know this is a strange category, but I've always held a special hatred for bands' performances on television (the sound is always awful, the band usually has no energy because it's not their audience, and it just generally not as fun as watching a real gig). Recently, however, I've seen a few TV performances that were actually pretty good, and in some cases amazing. So, put down your favorite TV performances so that we can all have something to watch on YouTube or wherever (and procrastinate). I'll put my vote in for TV on the Radio playing "Wolf Like Me" on the Letterman show.

As bands on TV shows go, nothing will ever beat the Manics doing Faster on Top of the Pops, which got a record number of complaints on the BBC.

The Vines on Letterman is brilliant aswell, as it's basically watching a band (specifically the singer) get to a serious platform on US television, and then basically destroy any chance of serious mainstream success by howling through the song then almost killing the drummer with a guitar.

Also, Regina Spektor doing Fidelity on Conan O'Brien because it's brilliant.

Manics - YouTube - Manic Street Preachers - Faster (Live on TOTP)

Vines -

Regina Spektor YouTube - Regina Spektor - Fidelity

type cymbal rush - thom yorke into you tube

magic!

he does the last track off the eraser totally ace with johnny greenwood and nigel godrich helping out!

also, type in the clock (he does it accoustic )

thats all i can think of for now! two recent faves anyway,

there was also a brilliant clip of DFA1979 - romantic rights on conan (or letterman, cant remember)

halfway through the drummer/singer gets off the kit and then the shows house band drummer runs on and jams along!

class!

That Regina Spektor video is fantastic. She's utterly groovy. Not sure about Conan's hand movements afterwards though... saucey bastard.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion on Jools Holland a while ago was pretty cool. Not often people really go for it on the tv. Nightswimming by REM on Jools' was great too.

edit:

. Awesome.

As bands on TV shows go, nothing will ever beat the Manics doing Faster on Top of the Pops, which got a record number of complaints on the BBC.

The Vines on Letterman is brilliant aswell, as it's basically watching a band (specifically the singer) get to a serious platform on US television, and then basically destroy any chance of serious mainstream success by howling through the song then almost killing the drummer with a guitar.

Also, Regina Spektor doing Fidelity on Conan O'Brien because it's brilliant.

Manics - YouTube - Manic Street Preachers - Faster (Live on TOTP)

Vines -

Regina Spektor YouTube - Regina Spektor - Fidelity

Oh Regina, Regina...

But if you're talking about destruction, this is one of my favourite performances that I've ever seen. Though it's not quite the same without seeing all the other dire acts that they were reacting to on that show that night...

Oh Regina, Regina...

But if you're talking about destruction, this is one of my favourite performances that I've ever seen. Though it's not quite the same without seeing all the other dire acts that they were reacting to on that show that night...

ah you have picked the one i woulda said. just purely nuts. that along with the vines performance :up:

I thought Bellowhead were very entertaining on the last Jools show of this series. Reminded me of a Michaelangelo and the Black Sea Gentlemen from last years Edinburgh Fringe

Through the mists of time I go for a couple of other Jools moments Ben Folds Five and the equally superb Jellyfish.