aberdeen-music

Non-Metal Band Anyone?

Deadringer

Just as an alternative to what appears to be a predominantly metal/heavy rockscene here, thought I'd start a thread for anyone interested in the other genres I heard something about a while ago somewhere.

I play bass and, um, fruity loops (and a bit of acoustic. Well, I have an acoustic anyway). My bass work is basically based around (attempting to) emulate Squarepusher, Can, Sonic Youth, United States of America, Television, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai etc... but less bass-orientated stuff is cool too. Non-wanky experimental stuff too - The Books, Aphex, Animal Collective, The Boredoms...

Also, wtf is with Tunnels these days? The music's a bit shit, think they need Caribou back. DOes anyone even go there anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Im tryin to start up at a band at the mo and seem to be havinthe same (non-metal) problem) Havent got a full line up yet and not too sure what we're gonna be doing but at the mo are thinkin foo fighters, incubus, maybe something a bit punky/ska. Just playin by ear kinda! At the moment theres just me (singer) and 2nd guitar but we're still looking. If you wanna meet up let me know.

Gill x

Im open to try just about everything. I use my computer and dictaphones to make my noise so as far as a band goes id be the dullest drummer ever. Imagin keith moon behind a laptop, works about as well as chat up line.

But im up for anything, i guess jamming is out the question as it takes me ages to knock out a 2 minute drum track.

I listen to alot of music from the Specials and the Beat to Ventian Snares and La Peste. So im realy up for any thing.

Recently iv been listening to alot of dubstep, reggae, electro, house and indie.

If that helps you at all.

Sent you a pm.