aberdeen-music

Crate Powerblock

Alkaline

Guest DustyDeviada

Yawn, more sweeping generalisations. Unless Maxi has played every single Crate amp ever made (and I think we all know the answer to that one), I don't think he's really qualified to say that everything the company has ever made is gash.

I've got a Crate valve amp and it's brilliant, as used and endorsed by Mark Knopfler :up:

cf_1.JPG

As for the Powerblock, I haven't played through one, but there's a thread on the Les Paul forum about them and the feedback is pretty good. As with all solid state gear, there's going to be limitations, but I hear they're going for £50 now, so seems pretty good to me for a portable head for emergencies/backup/gigs when you want to get pissed afterwards and can't be bothered with the hassle of lugging a proper head about.

See i know that Crate gear was shite in the late 90's and early 2000's, but i've never read a bad review of the Powerblock on any gear forums so i was interested.

Maxi probably hasn't touched a Crate amp since the company changed hands a few years ago and therefore has a preconception of whether their rubbish or not.

Still, points noted.

Maxi probably hasn't touched a Crate amp since the company changed hands a few years ago and therefore has a preconception of whether their rubbish or not.

or maybe when i was bored in dundee one day in september i popped into sound control to see my good pal bobby and we tried out a few of the crate amps for laughters sake. or maybe i have seen countless bands using crate amps recently, particularly at gigs in glasgow and dundee.

but you will prob know best eh :)

or maybe when i was bored in dundee one day in september i popped into sound control to see my good pal bobby and we tried out a few of the crate amps for laughters sake. or maybe i have seen countless bands using crate amps recently, particularly at gigs in glasgow and dundee.

but you will prob know best eh :)

Did you try this particular amp? No, well keep your mouth shut for a change. I particularly asked for feedback from people who'd played this particular amp. If you're not one of those people then i'm afraid your input wasn't needed, yet again for a change.

So i guess i do know best then ;)

Dave Schwarzenegger says:

alkaline

I NEED A CRATE AMP BACKUP

EVEN THOUGH IM NOT IN A BAND AND NEVER PLAY GIGS!

maxi says:

:)

MY DSL100 MIGHT BREAK

WHAT EVER WILL I DO

maxi says:

dsl 100 = pish

MAYBE LEARN TO PLAY FUCKING GUTAR FIRSAT WOULD BE A START???? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS???? ANYONE EVER TRIED IT????

maxi says:

he reckons its the best amp around

maxi says:

hahahahaha

maxi says:

type that in

HEY MAXI, HAVE YOU EVER OWNED MY DSL100?? NO, THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP

of course you know best phil

you have been playing tenor horn and in bands since you were six

Yeah, you're wrong actually. I started playing cornet when i was 6 then i graduated to tenor horn at 11. I continued playing that until i was 14 then i started playing guitar off and on, picking it up seriously when i was 17. Though i did play both Tenor Horn and Cornet at Junior Brass Ensemble level in front of thousands of people at that age. But i guess you wouldn't've known that either with your third party information ;)

Glad you took notice of my musical exploits. And in this case i know as good as you because like you i've played a good few crate amps although i haven't played through a PowerBlock either (also like you) so i guess we're even ;)

:laughing:

this always made me laugh....

CRATES

Pros :

*They have a little tuner on top of the amp.

Cons:

*You could get a real amp for that sort of money.

*They sound terrible, all of them.

*They cause house fires and premature deafness

*They look ugly

*If they break, its all surface mount components, you're gonna have to get a new PCB from crate, They'll be discontinued in a few years time, your amp will be obsolete (but hopefully by then you'll have realised you're an idiot for buying a crate, or given up music) But you can still take your 1970's JMP to an amp tech and you're sorted.

theres hundreds of other cons but you get the idea

alkaline

I NEED A CRATE AMP BACKUP

EVEN THOUGH IM NOT IN A BAND AND NEVER PLAY GIGS!

maxi says:

:)

MY DSL100 MIGHT BREAK

WHAT EVER WILL I DO

maxi says:

dsl 100 = pish

MAYBE LEARN TO PLAY FUCKING GUTAR FIRSAT WOULD BE A START???? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS???? ANYONE EVER TRIED IT????

maxi says:

he reckons its the best amp around

maxi says:

hahahahaha

maxi says:

type that in

HEY MAXI, HAVE YOU EVER OWNED MY DSL100?? NO, THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP

That's quite nice, i guess you two chicks have nothing better to talk about than me.

I'll take props from you stinky when you learn to play guitar too. Though i don't ever remember saying i was a great guitarist ;)

HEY MAXI

maxi says:

?

YOUR THIRD PATY INFORMATION IS SHIT, SO FUCK OFF, OIR I'LL TENOR HORN YOUR ASS AT BRASSENSEMBLE MASTER NINJA LEVEL

maxi says:

hahahahaha

maxi says:

wahahahahaha

maxi says:

i might gaaan doon moorings if i get back in time

i cant believe im sittng here laughing at my own jokes over the internet

this is fucking sad

maxi says:

aye sad

maxi says:

but funny

on that note, I have never played a Crate POwerblock. Yesterday though, I did record the new FIlthpact LP through a Crate D1600 or some shite, with a Crate 4x12 (because Jeeves forgot my head and cab) and it sounded fine. But thats cos I am fucking ace and have an ace tone thats endorsed by Maxi and Owen from The City That Shrinks Me.

pffft, who needs to elarn guitar to be ina crust band. just6 learn power chords and say you appreciate simplistic music, its far fucking easier!

Hahahaha :laughing:

I'm all good for power chords i just don't think i could cope with not washing. So i guess it's down to Maxi to teach me all he know's about guitar that i don't. Oh and bass too, musn't forget that, he's multi-talented you know.