aberdeen-music

Help regarding a bouncer and his authority.

Camie

Let me start of by saying this is for someone else I know.

Person X had a massive row with their old friend person Y and now person Y has got their friend who is a bouncer to ban her from accessing a said club. Now when person X spoke to the staff of the club they said they knew nothing about it and that none of the bouncers have been told about this.

The said bouncer is not the head bouncer at the club but he will not let my friend in at all. Are bouncers within their rights to do this and if not what kind of action can be taken to complain about this?

Not really been in one of those situations but my friend is too scared(and mostly lazy) to do anything about it but I don't think it's fair for a bouncer to throw his weight about like that.

Thanks

Guest Neutral
Let me start of by saying this is for someone else I know.

Person X had a massive row with their old friend person Y and now person Y has got their friend who is a bouncer to ban her from accessing a said club. Now when person X spoke to the staff of the club they said they knew nothing about it and that none of the bouncers have been told about this.

The said bouncer is not the head bouncer at the club but he will not let my friend in at all. Are bouncers within their rights to do this and if not what kind of action can be taken to complain about this?

Not really been in one of those situations but my friend is too scared(and mostly lazy) to do anything about it but I don't think it's fair for a bouncer to throw his weight about like that.

Thanks

The only thing you can really do is complain to management and see if they will do anything about said ds

where is it?

The licencee & their agents - which include barstaff & individual bouncers/door security firms have an absolute right to refuse entry or service, without giving any reason. They can only be held to account if they give one & it is either untruthful or illegal - eg racist. So unless the bouncer has actually said this to your mate & they have reliable witnesses, the chance of getting any redress is very slim indeed. You could try approaching the head bouncer or better still, the club boss & ask them to instruct the bouncer to admit your pal. However, if that succedded, I'd lay odds the bouncer would then be looking very hard for any reasonable excuse to eject.

The last thing you need to do is to get into an argument with the bouncer/management on the door. That in itself would give them legit reason to ban you. Don't arrive there after a skinfull & demand the manager be called to the door to speak to you either. Go early & specifically to talk about this. If it is any help, personally, I've never seen a pub/club who would countermand a bouncer's decision, even if it was way off the mark/unnaccptable.

You could also make a complaint to the council or the employer about unprofessional conduct by a licenced bouncer but I would suggest taking legal advice first.

Personally, I'd find another club & maybe let the management know via other means. Name & shame on here perhaps? ;)

but I don't think it's fair for a bouncer to throw his weight about like that.

If you mean that literally & there has been physical intimmidation/violence, then it is a very different matter & should be taken further. Submit a DPA request for access to/retention of any CCTV footage (has to be done within 30 days) of the door for a start & get proper advice.

When you say staff, are these staff with any sort of management position? In my experience, the ordinary bar/glass collecting staff know fuck all about bans - even though they've got the authority to refuse to serve a drink if they want.

Yup, they're within their authority to do it. Depending on the place, there may be people to complain to - but from what I know, management will back the doormen to the hilt unless they've done something illegal - such as refuse someone on racial grounds. All it takes is for the bouncer in question to say "yeah, i know that bird from way back, she was dealing drugs in that club i worked in" and it becomes his word against her word.

As far as being head bouncer/not head bouncer - I don't think it matters. It may matter internally,

Ultimately, it's up to the friend to either take it further or to accept it. Personally (and I did this when TK's kept being funny with me and my friends a couple of years ago for absolutely no reason) I'd just take my trade elsewhere and spread the word - if an unreasonable bouncer is causing trade to drop, they'll soon get the message.

If your friend is really that bothered, she should drop in past during the day and have a reasonable talk with someone from the club. It might work, it might not - but ultimately, it's probably not worth the bother.

What club, out of interest?

The licencee & their agents - which include barstaff & individual bouncers/door security firms have an absolute right to refuse entry or service, without giving any reason. They can only be held to account if they give one & it is either untruthful or illegal - eg racist. So unless the bouncer has actually said this to your mate & they have reliable witnesses, the chance of getting any redress is very slim indeed. You could try approaching the head bouncer or better still, the club boss & ask them to instruct the bouncer to admit your pal. However, if that succedded, I'd lay odds the bouncer would then be looking very hard for any reasonable excuse to eject.

The last thing you need to do is to get into an argument with the bouncer/management on the door. That in itself would give them legit reason to ban you. Don't arrive there after a skinfull & demand the manager be called to the door to speak to you either. Go early & specifically to talk about this. If it is any help, personally, I've never seen a pub/club who would countermand a bouncer's decision, even if it was way off the mark/unnaccptable.

You could also make a complaint to the council or the employer about unprofessional conduct by a licenced bouncer but I would suggest taking legal advice first.

Personally, I'd find another club & maybe let the management know via other means. Name & shame on here perhaps? ;)

If you mean that literally & there has been physical intimmidation/violence, then it is a very different matter & should be taken further. Submit a DPA request for access to/retention of any CCTV footage (has to be done within 30 days) of the door for a start & get proper advice.

Thanks for that that's helped a bit.

Clarified a few things I knew but also gave me some new info.

Regarding the last matter I didn't mean it literally.

carnie wrote,

perhaps person x came across as overly aggressive or difficult to deal with you have admitted that she was having a massive row, perhaps her choice of comment or response to the doormans inquiries led to the decision to ban her

Yeh my friend had a row with someone about 5 months ago at their house.

It had nothing to do with that night or exodus.

They told her she couldn't get in becasue she was drunk when she was clearly sober and then when she asked the bouncer when he wasn't working he told her he has gotten her banned from the club. Which is exodus by the way.