aberdeen-music

The Psychology of Drummers

palmer_eldritch

I know many, many wonderful, fabby drummers, including the wee hobbit-like one that's sitting right next to me (he's got the feet and everything!) and have no issues with their personalities.

The only problem I've had with skin-botherers over the years is their propensity for thrashing the drums during breaks at rehearsals/practice whilst you're trying to get the sound right or discussing where you've gone wrong with a particular song.

The threat of a drumstick suppository usually helps.

Drummers - great guys :up:

The Psychology of Drummers is a book I think I'm going to have to write after numerous bad experiences.

Why is it that whenever there is a problem in a band, 90% of the time its down to the drummer?

Why is it that drummers feel it necessary to be the late ones at practises?

Why is it that drummers grow so tired of bands and leave to explore jazz-territory?

Why is it that drummers, if they are not suicidle, they find it necessary to be at the route cause of every inconvenience?

Why is it that drummers are so few and far inbetween?

Why is it tthat when you do finally find a good drummer who can do exactly what you're after, and though they remain enthuised in the work, they fast become the most motivated lazy people known in all of humanity?!!!!!

FUCKING DRUMMERS!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can only imagine that many others here have had similar drummer experience, so to those people I ask for your input. Any good input is welcome as well, but I just really felt like having a rant on a topic which i am only too familiar with. . .

In my experience of being in bands you could substitute vocalist for drummer in that rant.

I think drummers, although the most stereotyped, are the least likely member of an average pop combo to conform to a stereotype. You never quite know what to expect when you meet a drummer for the first time, but guitarists, vocalists and especially bassists generally fall into a few categories.

I do think there is credence in the theory that the instrument you choose to play says something about you, it's just that it might say something different about drummer A than it does about drummer B.

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a toilet seat?

A: A toilet seat only has to put up with one asshole at a time.

Guest bluesxman
The only problem I've had with skin-botherers over the years is their propensity for thrashing the drums during breaks at rehearsals/practice whilst you're trying to get the sound right or discussing where you've gone wrong with a particular song.

Strangely I often find the same trouble with guitarists. :rolleyes:

In my experience of being in bands you could substitute vocalist for drummer in that rant.

I think drummers, although the most stereotyped, are the least likely member of an average pop combo to conform to a stereotype. You never quite know what to expect when you meet a drummer for the first time, but guitarists, vocalists and especially bassists generally fall into a few categories.

I do think there is credence in the theory that the instrument you choose to play says something about you, it's just that it might say something different about drummer A than it does about drummer B.

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a toilet seat?

A: A toilet seat only has to put up with one asshole at a time.

be careful ian or i might take that as a compliment to drummers :D

I have known dozens of drummers over the years, all of them have been a bit *unique* some I would even describe as barking mad but only one....yes just one has been at times a problem for the smooth running of the band with "no shows" etc....

I will also like you to note that I have known 2. crazy bass players, 3. bonkers singers, 2. very silly guitarists and an accordian player who was tottaly out of his tree...

I think most serious musicians need to have a defective gene....its handy for the road crew to be a bit defective as well....o_O