aberdeen-music

The Psychology of Drummers

palmer_eldritch

The Psychology of Drummers is a book I think I'm going to have to write after numerous bad experiences.

Why is it that whenever there is a problem in a band, 90% of the time its down to the drummer?

Why is it that drummers feel it necessary to be the late ones at practises?

Why is it that drummers grow so tired of bands and leave to explore jazz-territory?

Why is it that drummers, if they are not suicidle, they find it necessary to be at the route cause of every inconvenience?

Why is it that drummers are so few and far inbetween?

Why is it tthat when you do finally find a good drummer who can do exactly what you're after, and though they remain enthuised in the work, they fast become the most motivated lazy people known in all of humanity?!!!!!

FUCKING DRUMMERS!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can only imagine that many others here have had similar drummer experience, so to those people I ask for your input. Any good input is welcome as well, but I just really felt like having a rant on a topic which i am only too familiar with. . .

Wow, that didn't go down to well. o_O hehe

But seriously, the psychology of people and their instruments might make for better discussion then?

Its only logical to assume that someone who has undergone years, and years of practising their instrument, should in some way be effected by it.

Vice-versa, perhaps certain persons are initially attracted to their instrument for more deep-routed reasons.

It's fairly obvious, imo, that guitarists in particular are inclined to have larger egos than the norm. Even if only on-stage egos.

If we aint gonna talk about it, I'll retreat and think about it anyways. :up:

The Psychology of BANDS is a book I think I'm going to have to write after numerous bad experiences.

Why is it that whenever there is a problem in a band, 90% of the time its down to the guitarist,bassist,singer?

Why is it that guitarists,bassist,singers feel it necessary to be the late ones at practises?

Why is it that guitarists,bassist,singers grow so tired of bands and leave to explore SOLO PROJECTS?!

Why is it that guitarists,bassist,singers, if they are not suicidle, they find it necessary to be at the route cause of every inconvenience?

Why is it that good 'guitarists,bassists,singers' are so few and far between?

Why is it tthat when you do finally find a good 'guitarist,bassist,singer' who can do exactly what you're after, and though they remain enthuised in the work, they fast become the most motivated lazy people known in all of humanity?!!!!!

FUCKING GUITARISTS, BASSISTS, SINGERS!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can only imagine that many others here have had similar 'guitarist,bassist,singer' experience, so to those people I ask for your input. Any good input is welcome as well, but I just really felt like having a rant on a topic which i am only too familiar with. . .

Redressing that balance from past experience.

Guest DustyDeviada

Why is it that drummers grow so tired of bands and leave to explore jazz-territory?

Ha! Think I know who you're talking about there!

That said, I've generally had good experiences with drummers I've been in bands with, only difficulty I've experienced is an overall shortage of them.

(BTW You weren't complaining when the drummer you refer to was wowing the crowds by playing jazz bass on stage WHILE drumming. ;) )

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Wow, until now I didn't even realise playing an instrument was the basis of a person's psyche and personality. I actually thought it was totally irrelevant! Has there ever been a recorded incident of some sort of freak personality disorder in which say, a bass guitarist took on the mindset of a trombone player? This discussion has really opened up my eyes to this phenomenon.

I find there is usually one person in each band who tends to organise the stuff for most of the band and is often the main 'voice' of the band. Sometimes it is the drummer. There is also a habbit that one person will be expected by other band members to arrange equipment i.e PA's. etc.

I have generally found drummers to be quite loud and obnoxious people which is why they are possibly attracted to playing drums. Turning up late is very common also.

This brings back memories of a group of drummers studying music at Aberdeen college saingy things to the effect of, "I don't like getting drum lessons as I don't like having someone tell me how to play," and then agreeing with each other.

Note that Drummers often have the worst reputation for many bands i.e Lars of Metallica and Phil Collins of Genesis. Drummers also usually think they can sing.

I also once played with a drummer who turned up to a gig wearing a burbery cap. I don't think anyone else in the band knew he owned any burbery. He also thought he could sing (and rap).

I find there is usually one person in each band who tends to organise the stuff for most of the band and is often the main 'voice' of the band. Sometimes it is the drummer. There is also a habbit that one person will be expected by other band members to arrange equipment i.e PA's. etc.

I have generally found drummers to be quite loud and obnoxious people which is why they are possibly attracted to playing drums. Turning up late is very common also.

This brings back memories of a group of drummers studying music at Aberdeen college saingy things to the effect of, "I don't like getting drum lessons as I don't like having someone tell me how to play," and then agreeing with each other.

Note that Drummers often have the worst reputation for many bands i.e Lars of Metallica and Phil Collins of Genesis. Drummers also usually think they can sing.

I also once played with a drummer who turned up to a gig wearing a burbery cap. I don't think anyone else in the band knew he owned any burbery. He also thought he could sing (and rap).

How many people in bands with inferiority complexes are going to post here? Damn stupid!

Sorry was I shouting?

o_O :king:

Guest texjamm
.......Has there ever been a recorded incident of some sort of freak personality disorder in which say, a bass guitarist took on the mindset of a trombone player?

That so nearly could be me - ex-trombonist turned bass player! 8o

the stereotypical drummer:

organised jam and party at his, arrives 4 hours late after telling everyone "i'll b there soon", decides that because he was so late that there's no time to jam and we'll just party instead, so much partying is had :cheers:, finally decides the next day to play again when we bring his drums down stairs and attempt to set them up for him, he then goes mental because his kit looks like its been set up by tards (fair enough really), only play 30secs of any song before gettin bored then goes back to bed and doesn't get up till long after we've left........ .............twaz a quality party tho

edit: forgot to add the moral of the story: this didn't happen because he's a drummer, it was simply because he's an eejit!

though he did play the euphonium in the school band, which i think is the underlying cause of such behaviour........

the stereotypical drummer:

organised jam and party at his, arrives 4 hours late after telling everyone "i'll b there soon", decides that because he was so late that there's no time to jam and we'll just party instead, so much partying is had :cheers:, finally decides the next day to play again when we bring his drums down stairs and attempt to set them up for him, he then goes mental because his kit looks like its been set up by tards (fair enough really), only play 30secs of any song before gettin bored then goes back to bed and doesn't get up till long after we've left........ .............twaz a quality party tho

You've got 'stereotypical drummer' mixed up with 'pish drummer who doesn't give a rainy fuck about his music'.