aberdeen-music

ATTN: Jammers and other users of house backline

Flash@TMB

We recently had our Marshal head fail, and this brought home to us that such a thing could be potentially catastrophic, especially during a gig where the band were dependant on all or part of the house backline.

A drum failure is relatively easy to mitigate against and we carry a stock of spare parts. There are also ways to work around cabinet failures. But losing a guitar or (worse) bass head would be tricky. The Ampeg may be a heavy duty beast but all it takes is a carelessly spilt pint...

The problem here is that it would be very expensive to buy a spare guitar head AND a spare bass head. Plus we'd also like to get some use out of whatever is bought and not have it sitting on a shelf gathering dust only to go pop the first time we turned it on.

The solution was to get a head that could drive either a guitar or a bass cab, and the rest of the time use it as a head for the second or third guitar. If the worst happened then the FOH bass could be supplied by DI, with the cab acting more as a monitor, so it would be feasible to drive the bass cab with a really clean tube guitar head, provided it was powerful and had plenty of headroom. So we opted for one of these:

DG103.jpg

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/hiwatt/dg-103.htm

It's a really clean amp, and would be powerful enough to drive bass in an emergency.

But in order to provide some distortion features, plus an extra bit of contingency in case the worst happens, we've ordered one of these too:

v-twin-big.jpg

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rackmount-Preamps/V-Twin/v-twin.html

They're not with us yet, but I'll update this thread once they arrive. Should make for some interesting jams.

We'll probably run the Engl through the left, the Hiwatt plus Mesa through the right, and the Marshall through the centre... once it gets back from being repaired in 2 years time :(

BTW - thanks to Andy from Musical Vision for his input on this.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah - i have a Marshall TSL100 head that I put a plexi-glass front plate on that I'm selling.

You interested? I could bring it up at the weekend.

No. All those knobs just suck tone.

My ideal head has 3 knobs:

Gain. This one is srping loaded and automatically reverts to the 12 o'clock position.

Bass/treble. This only moves 1/4 of a turn either way.

Volume. This is at the end of a 50 foot cable, and sits on the engineers desk.

Apart from that the standby button needs to be 4" in diameter, painted red, with a flashing green arrow pointing at it, and an engraved plaque, with glow in the dark lettering in a large typeface that reads "THIS IS A STANDBY BUTTON DICKHEAD. IF THE AMP IS 'BROKEN' THEN PUSH THIS BUTTON. IF THIS BUTTON DOESN'T LIGHT UP THEN TURN THE AMP ON. IF THE AMP DOESN'T MAKE ANY SOUND THEN UNPLUG YOUR GUITAR FROM THE BASS HEAD AND PLUG IT IN THIS HOLE INSTEAD (YOU ASSHOLE). IF THAT DOESN'T WORK THEN YOU FORGOT TO ASK THE BARMAN FOR A 'LOAN' OF A 9V BATTERY FOR EACH OF YOU 6 FX PEDALS. NOW FUCK OFF."

need a drumtech ?

I can set up and tune up drums and give advice on how to avoid costly damage to cymbals and equipment. I am also available as a session drummer and drum tutor.

Any other offers of interesting employment will be considered.

PM me for any enquiries, cheers Biz.

I thought you were only allowed to use the Moorings backline??

We dont mind changing Head's, but cabs we are a little tight on space and also change over time,

So we do like to use our Bass rig (Ampeg SVT2 Pro) and our Marshall 4x12's

If you have your own Guitar head you wish to use Please do :up:

Mark,

I thought you were only allowed to use the Moorings backline??

A very old but not very accurate rumour :)

There are some elements of the backline that we insist on, specifically the basic drumkit, the mics, and cabs. With our small stage it makes sense to use the 4x10 cab assuming the bassist wants to hear the bass :) The guitar cabs are both Marshall 4x12s, and these are wired into impedence switchable powerbrakes that are sited at the engineers desk. It's a horses arse to change them, and any difference is negligible. We'll happily swap a vocal mic for one that is identical apart from the germs.

In 2 years only 1 person has asked to swap the bass head (and he needed some on-board effects). Perhaps this is because the house bass head is an Ampeg SVT2-PRO which is all tube, and most people are keen to try it out. If we swap out the bass head then the cab mic will be muted (it only exists to pick up the Ampeg's trademark growl), meaning the front of house would be driven from a DI... so is there any point?

There is absolutely no problem swapping guitar heads. I might look pissed off if someone insists on swapping heads, then sets their head to the clean channel and plugs a distortion pedal in, because IMO that's just a waste of time. Likewise I will object to swapping out a house head for another indentical head - example where someone shows up with another DSL100 (assuming ours is working in the first place) LOL!!!

And anything else is fair game.

Does that put this one to bed? Please??? LOL!

Incidentally several touring bands have told me how they believe this is the future of live music. It means they can travel light, only having to take their instruments, and no longer require a van. For bands flying from country to country this also greatly reduces air freight or hire charges.

A very old but not very accurate rumour :)

There are some elements of the backline that we insist on, specifically the basic drumkit, the mics, and cabs. With our small stage it makes sense to use the 4x10 cab assuming the bassist wants to hear the bass :) The guitar cabs are both Marshall 4x12s, and these are wired into impedence switchable powerbrakes that are sited at the engineers desk. It's a horses arse to change them, and any difference is negligible. We'll happily swap a vocal mic for one that is identical apart from the germs.

In 2 years only 1 person has asked to swap the bass head (and he needed some on-board effects). Perhaps this is because the house bass head is an Ampeg SVT2-PRO which is all tube, and most people are keen to try it out. If we swap out the bass head then the cab mic will be muted (it only exists to pick up the Ampeg's trademark growl), meaning the front of house would be driven from a DI... so is there any point?

There is absolutely no problem swapping guitar heads. I might look pissed off if someone insists on swapping heads, then sets their head to the clean channel and plugs a distortion pedal in, because IMO that's just a waste of time. Likewise I will object to swapping out a house head for another indentical head - example where someone shows up with another DSL100 (assuming ours is working in the first place) LOL!!!

And anything else is fair game.

Does that put this one to bed? Please??? LOL!

Incidentally several touring bands have told me how they believe this is the future of live music. It means they can travel light, only having to take their instruments, and no longer require a van. For bands flying from country to country this also greatly reduces air freight or hire charges.

Aye, i wasn't having a go like.

I forgot to add!!

Please dont change out a good ALL VALVE amp for a Transistor amp,

Just give one of ours a try, They all work very well and you will get the sound you want..

Yeah if someone brings along a shite amp or crap pedal then I'll plead with them not to use it, but ultimately the decision is theirs. I guess there are certain musical styles that suit the sound of a Line6! And I can always stand outside till they finish playing LOL.

I might look pissed off if someone insists on swapping heads, then sets their head to the clean channel and plugs a distortion pedal in, because IMO that's just a waste of time.

Why would that be a waste of time? What if they want the specific clean sound from their own head and the distortion from their pedal?

Why would that be a waste of time? What if they want the specific clean sound from their own head and the distortion from their pedal?

Well I did say "IMO" meaning "IN MY OPINION". And the worst I'm going to do is look pissed off. They still get to do it.

My personal thoughts are that this is past the point of diminishing returns. If I blindfold them and play them both sounds are they going to A) Recognise their preferred sound? B) Continue to prefer it? C) Just look confused? D) Call the police?

But I'm not going to change my opinion. Is that OK with you?

Likewise I will object to swapping out a house head for another indentical head - example where someone shows up with another DSL100 (assuming ours is working in the first place) LOL!!!

When playing at the Moorings, Hog will want to use your Powerball. I'm not as pleased with the tone I get from the DSL (it's good, but I have my preference) as I am with my own Powerball so I'd opt to bring that.

:up:

It's cool. I didn't think you were. Anyway what's your thoughts on this?

All the reasons behind your policy are sound, and i don't disagree with you in most cases. In fact knowing that you have a dsl100, same head as me, i wouldn't have a problem with just turning up with my guitar and my pedal board.

I think the HIWATT that you highlighted in an earlier post would be suitable as a back-up for both the guitar and bass head.

When playing at the Moorings, Hog will want to use your Powerball. I'm not as pleased with the tone I get from the DSL (it's good, but I have my preference) as I am with my own Powerball so I'd opt to bring that.

:up:

Thats fine :up: 2 Powerballs would be good, Flash Ment if you just swap our amp for the same thing, if you need another of the same thats different :gringo:

To close off this tangent...

Think I once posted something similar on another thread months ago, but here goes:

Different venues offer differing levels or artistic freedom. The reasons behind a particular venues choices will be down to the commercials - what works for them. The commercials in turn will depend on how the venue earns it's keep, be that hire charge, door charge, sale of refreshements, or some combination of all three.

There are venues that provide scope for total freedom, for example function suites, church halls, scout huts LOL. Here the performers can or are forced to provide and organise everything.

What The Moorings provides is at the opposite end of the spectrum. The controls are much tighter, but there is less time, hassle, and logistics involved. But nobody is twisting anyone's arm. You pays your money and takes your choice. So do we :)

So lets get back on topic:

Hiwatt Gilmour sig and Mesa V-Twin. Anyone excited about playing through these at the jam?

All the reasons behind your policy are sound, and i don't disagree with you in most cases. In fact knowing that you have a dsl100, same head as me, i wouldn't have a problem with just turning up with my guitar and my pedal board.

Well if it's going to be anytime soon then you'll have to bring your head along, as in my experience Marshall take years to effect repairs :( Mark reckons it's a melted transformer. I think whatever it is was caused by the speaker cable not being plugged all the way in. Sure I read something along the lines of "DO not play this amp without a speaker attached or it will blow up".