aberdeen-music

Modern Christmas Tunes

Alkaline

Raveonettes was going to be first on my list but pleased to see you've already got it :)

There's some other good 'uns on the OC Mix 3 (the Chrismukkah one), including the Christmas Song and also...:

Low - Just like Christmas

Ben Kweller - Rock of Ages

Leona Naess - Christmas (very nice acoustic song)

Ron Sexsmith - Maybe this Christmas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty intrigued by the Sufjan Stevens Christmas cd. Only problem for me is that I can put up with his religious themes normally, but they may get a little intense on a cd generally celebrating the birth of Jesus.

I'm sure it'll be incredibley warm though. Perfect for those who want a nice nostalgic cry into their nog.

Billy Idol has done a Christmas album! Called 'Happy Holidays' the track listing will be -

Frosty The Snowman

Silver Bells

Happy Holiday

Merry Christmas Baby

White Christmas

Here Comes Santa Claus

God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen

Santa Claus Is Back In Town

Let It Snow

Winter Wonderland

Run Rudolph Run

Blue Christmas

Jingle Bell Rock

Christmas Love

O' Christmas Tree

Silent Night

Auld Lang Syne

My word.

Surely Billy Idol would have to amalgamate White Wedding and White Christmas into the greatest (or worst) song ever.

Palace Songs (Will Oldham) "Christmastime in the mountains" - I think this is a cover so there may be other versions.

I've got a split single by Velocity Girl and Tsunami with a Christmas song on each side. The Tsunami one is good. A very Christmasy song is 'Don't forget the Halo' by Grenadine (sung by Jenny out of Tsunami). I've got a copy somewhere but it's probably hard to find.

I remember Peel doing a Christmas special one year (maybe about five years ago). You might be able to find a tracklisting somewhere for it.

I checked my own Christmas comp.s and these were on them...

Anne Dudley 'Veni Emmanuel'

Shonen Knife 'Space Christmas'

Mary Margaret O'Hara 'Christmas evermore'

Kristin Hersh "Jesus Christ'

Jeff Buckley 'Corpus Christi Carol'

Run DMC 'Christmas in Hollis'

Mikey Jarrett & General Saint 'Santa Claus was black'

the Pretenders '2000 miles'

Flaming Lips 'A change at Christmas'

Jethro Tull 'Ring out solstice bells' & 'A Christmas song'

but I'm a sucker for all those old 50s/60s ones too, like Charles Brown 'Merry Christmas Baby' etc, and can still enjoy a bit of Slade. Plus, let's not forget the 2 excellent Fudge Christmas Albums....perfect for an irreverently cool Yule..you can hear folks like the Needles, Ian Simpson, Jimmy Lucifer, Project Ven Hell, Karloff, the Cuts etc etc

I remember Peel doing a Christmas special one year (maybe about five years ago). You might be able to find a tracklisting somewhere for it.

I've got a cassette with Peel's Desert Island discs on one side, and his 'Christmas Singles' from 1992. If I wasn't a lazy old sod I'd have written down the track listing. If I get round to playing the tape I'll post it on here.

What about "Dead by Christmas" by Hanoi Rocks? 'My Mind's Eye' by The Small Faces is always used on Christmas stuff just because of the bells and stuff but isn't strictly yuletidey.

Alternatively, why not gather the family round a roaring log fire with some mulled wine and listen to the heavenly 'Fuck Christmas I'm Dead' by King Liar and the Brutes?

Smashing Pumpkins - Christmastime

...since no one has mentioned it yet.

oooh tune i'd forgotten about that!!!!

the wedding present's version of elton john's 'step into christmas' is another corker

some more seasonal crackers...

the snowmen - hokey cokey

dennis waterman & george cole - what we gonna get for christmas for 'er indoors

tenacious d - 12 drugs of christmas

The Sufjan Stevens cd is very very good. Quite traditional in places, but otherwise there's some right on banjo and sleigh belling.

And I could go on about the contents of the box for ages... 5 seperate cd sleeves of the yearly recordings, a cartoon, a songbook (complete with chords), stickers and amazing artwork. Getting increasingly hard to get hold of though. You can buy the songs for a standard 25 quid off iTunes, but then you don't get the lovely extra stuff which goes for just 12 quid in the shops.

But if you download one song, get 'Get Behind Me, Santa' off disc 5. It's original and terribley jolly.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Alkaline Trio - Snake Oil Tanker

How the fuck can you call that a christmas song?

And Phil, I'm glad to see that you mentioned the Raveonettes track. It's totally sad :(

from the two fudge xmas albums...... :D

the needles - santa claus is coming to town

the kitchen cynics - countdown to christmas

project:venhell - filthy santa

the pisscranes - the three months of christmas

ruptured spleen - away in a manger

TAR - selling out for christmas

metal licker & fudge - enter santa

dave dixon & fudge - sweet christmas time

etc