aberdeen-music

Iomega: a rampaging review of sorts.

Old Gold

Popped down to Tunnels last night to catch a glimpse of my old hometown heroes, Iomega. Must say I'm rather glad I did.

First off, I'll admit to watching Red Mongoose beforehand. To be polite, they ain't ready for gigging yet. Tuner pedals are required, and definately a bit of tube screamer to compensate for flabby and well... essentially pish guitar solos. It really is a shame, because they've got good influences (a decent Kinks cover was their one saving grace), and if the guitarists loosened up and properly rocked out, I dare say I would have really enjoyed them.

Isylore were alright, and I heard Black Atom are looking a bit auld for playing Iron Maiden songs these days, although I should point out that I didn't hang about for their set.

Anyway! On to the order of the day. Iomega... I was damned impressed.

Nick's done away with his scummy distortion and gone the way of the mighty overdrive pedal. He's also ditched his beloved Ibanez and now confidently hangs a very sharp Fender Telecaster from his shoulders.

Joe's drums are a still loud and proud, but now there's subtelty and even small bouts of utter madness thrown in for good measure.

Warden... well, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Their new sound is ridiculously fun to listen to. Way less metallic... more post-rock/post-metal in the mix. There is one song - I have no idea of the name, but I want it on a cd as soon as possible - that really bounces. The vocals in general are still pretty brash, but they seem to have a place when they're equally matched by beautiful breakdowns of lightly picked, slightly synthed, Oceansize/Explosions in the Sky-esque guitar.

Delighted to hear great use of the bass guitar, adding depth and utter fucking balls to all songs too silly to get in the way. It really plays off the guitar nicely.

Seriously, next time they're swiming about, go out and see Iomega. With any luck they'll ditch their old stuff completely (not that it's that bad. I just like the new direction they're going in) and start gigging like wee bastards. Luckily, I have been informed that this is the general plan. Hats off!

• Upvote 1

Popped down to Tunnels last night to catch a glimpse of my old hometown heroes, Iomega. Must say I'm rather glad I did.

First off, I'll admit to watching Red Mongoose beforehand. To be polite, they ain't ready for gigging yet. Tuner pedals are required, and definately a bit of tube screamer to compensate for flabby and well... essentially pish guitar solos. It really is a shame, because they've got good influences (a decent Kinks cover was their one saving grace), and if the guitarists loosened up and properly rocked out, I dare say I would have really enjoyed them.

Isylore were alright, and I heard Black Atom are looking a bit auld for playing Iron Maiden songs these days, although I should point out that I didn't hang about for their set.

Anyway! On to the order of the day. Iomega... I was damned impressed.

Nick's done away with his scummy distortion and gone the way of the mighty overdrive pedal. He's also ditched his beloved Ibanez and now confidently hangs a very sharp Fender Telecaster from his shoulders.

Joe's drums are a still loud and proud, but now there's subtelty and even small bouts of utter madness thrown in for good measure.

Warden... well, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Their new sound is ridiculously fun to listen to. Way less metallic... more post-rock/post-metal in the mix. There is one song - I have no idea of the name, but I want it on a cd as soon as possible - that really bounces. The vocals in general are still pretty brash, but they seem to have a place when they're equally matched by beautiful breakdowns of lightly picked, slightly synthed, Oceansize/Explosions in the Sky-esque guitar.

Delighted to hear great use of the bass guitar, adding depth and utter fucking balls to all songs too silly to get in the way. It really plays off the guitar nicely.

Seriously, next time they're swiming about, go out and see Iomega. With any luck they'll ditch their old stuff completely (not that it's that bad. I just like the new direction they're going in) and start gigging like wee bastards. Luckily, I have been informed that this is the general plan. Hats off!

There's some serious arse-lickery going on here, methinks :laughing:

Was a good gig. All the bands were good. Red Mongouse could do with perfecting their sound a bit further before taking it to gigs. They are conciderably younger than the other bands and have a lot of potential. Many bands learn the hard way with this and to be fair they played at a level where they didn't have to embaress themselves very much to find this out.

I learnt a valuable lesson. Never drink 2 pints of beer, then cider then 2 other pints of beer with sly whiskys inbetween.

Shame there wasn't more people. Don't think it was particularly well publicised and being on a monday probably didn't help.

Also could do with a better PA system ran at a lesser volume level.

Fair points on us. We haven't had many rehearsals and as such we don't really know each other as people and aren't really as used to playing gigs as any other the other bands clearly were. But still, the only way for us is forwards. :)

Awesome, that's the spirit.

You're right, you'd just benefit from a bit of an attitude injection that trusting your bandmates delivers. I forgot to mention that the cowbell was bloody good, but you really do need to invest in a decent overdrive pedal for the solos... Bluesdriver, OD3 or a Tube Screamer are all pretty affordable. Just practice like shit... your genre's cool.

i enjoyed iomega, they were apperently selling cds which i wanted to buy, but they didnt mention it on the night. i probably should have asked. turn the tables!!

red mongoose were prog as fuck. they were harmonising in quarter tones or something which made some of their riffs sound like meshugga. this was due to them not tuning but i rekon it was intentional.

black atom are ace, paid attention to what they were doing last night.