aberdeen-music

FMA'07 - Best Venue

The Ghost Of Fudge

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say Moshulu, simply for the fact that the range and quality of gigs offered in the last year has improved massively. Nowhere in Aberdeen can compete with Moshulu when it's busy and the crowd are in the mood. Even for the smaller gigs it offers a certain something that very few venues can offer.

Whatever you drink in there, i want some.

Moshulu is appaling for gigs - the stage set out is crap and if teh gig is sold out then it's virtually impossible to get a good view. Poorly selling gigs are made ten times worse by the cavernous feel of the area beside the bar. as for the bar itself - appalling service. I don't expect to stand at the bar for nearly half an hour for two pints. Oh, and the Aerosmith t-shirt wearing bar staff need to think what gig they're at when they put on their clothes.

Nearly forgot - the "chuck you out at 10:30" policy so they can charge you to come back in again is another issue I have.

And as for the pillars that obscure your view - don't get me started....

Don't get me wrong - some of the bands they've had up have been great but I can't help feeling slightly let down with the feeling that I'm watching a great band shoe horned into a nightclub rather than a purpose built venue.

Moshulu is appaling for gigs - the stage set out is crap and if teh gig is sold out then it's virtually impossible to get a good view. Poorly selling gigs are made ten times worse by the cavernous feel of the area beside the bar. as for the bar itself - appalling service. I don't expect to stand at the bar for nearly half an hour for two pints. Oh, and the Aerosmith t-shirt wearing bar staff need to think what gig they're at when they put on their clothes.

Nearly forgot - the "chuck you out at 10:30" policy so they can charge you to come back in again is another issue I have.

Don't get me wrong - some of the bands they've had up have been great but I can't help feeling slightly let down with the feeling that I'm watching a great band shoe horned into a nightclub rather than a purpose built venue.

I agree with everything said here. Tunnels all the way for me.

Guest bluesxman

Agree with all that. Lemon Tree also is let down by the pillars. And the tables and chairs set up for Handsome Family was appalling.

Tunnels can be a bit hit or miss sound wise dependent on where you locate yourself but I just like it, staff are cool and I just like how it looks and the set up of bar and stage is ideal.

Drummonds is OK apart from some of the not there for the gig clientele it seems to attract.

I've never actually made it along to a gig at The Moorings yet so can't comment.

i was a strong campainer for tunnels last year, and i still am.

tunnels has the best atmosphere of any gig venue in aberdeen, cool staff, cool place, and just generally friendly. sound has improved vastly there in the last few months i think.

moshulu is up there though, it definatley is unbeaten in the bands that play there, but when empty it seems REALLY empty because of the cavernous size, but when fullit is hard to get a good view of the bands.

sound there is unrivaled though, it has been amazing since they installed the new rig!

i've heard quite a few bad things about tunnels recently, with regards to clubnights and moving of local gigs to the second tunnel, but i'm not sure if the latter has happened much. anyway, the people they're are really nice and it's always good playing there, don't need a huge amount of people to be there for it to look busy. and the stage isn't too high which i think is always a good thing.

however, my vote is going to drummonds: it's free to hire the venue (50 quid at tunnels) and they don't have to make it free, it would still be fully booked if they charged 40 or 50 quid; eric is a total legend; all the staff are good; and in my opinion the sound on stage is the best in aberdeen.

i would never vote for moshulu. as someone said there's been some great bands playing there and it can be great with lots of people in. but the railings at the front are a joke, making it horrible to be on stage, and the stage feels really far away when your watching too. also, easily beaten by drummonds and tunnels on their staff, in my opinion.

finally, i have to say, where the smeg is the East Neuk in this list huh? next year maybe...

i've heard quite a few bad things about tunnels recently, with regards to clubnights and moving of local gigs to the second tunnel, but i'm not sure if the latter has happened much. anyway, the people they're are really nice and it's always good playing there, don't need a huge amount of people to be there for it to look busy. and the stage isn't too high which i think is always a good thing.

however, my vote is going to drummonds: it's free to hire the venue (50 quid at tunnels) and they don't have to make it free, it would still be fully booked if they charged 40 or 50 quid; eric is a total legend; all the staff are good; and in my opinion the sound on stage is the best in aberdeen.

i would never vote for moshulu. as someone said there's been some great bands playing there and it can be great with lots of people in. but the railings at the front are a joke, making it horrible to be on stage, and the stage feels really far away when your watching too. also, easily beaten by drummonds and tunnels on their staff, in my opinion.

finally, i have to say, where the smeg is the East Neuk in this list huh? next year maybe...

The railnigs are for saftey reasons from what i gather, the same kind of thing you would find in any large venue, but your right saftey is a joke....

As for the pillars, maybe people should get in touch with the folk who built the place and complain they are holding the roof up.............

please tell me your kidding?

haha, ye, although it does have a certain...charm. actually most of the gigs i've been a part of at the east neuk have been great fun, such a diy feel about them, and by the end almost everyone is dancing.also i'd give it bonus points for not having mirrors in the toilet, although some soap would be nice. and also the huge owl is awesome. and the fact that u always notice something new every time ur there. last time i spotted a picture of jesus up near the roof.

but i guess they only really suit punk/hardcore/grindcore shows.

Guest bluesxman

The shit set up in Moshulu for gigs is down to the fact it's a nightclub that has been adapted for gigs over the years. So while it's good that they are attracting big name bands to Aberdeen it's a shame they are lumbered with a venue not really designed for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the gripes on here about Moshulu as a gig venue. People are moaning about the t-shirts that the barstaff are wearing, the pillars that support the roof, the safety barriers that are there for a reason intrinsically hidden in their name and the fact that they can't get a decent view of the band if it's busy. If more people were moaning about the barstaff then I'd maybe see that being more realistic and if people can suggest any way of getting past the 14+ gig restriction to an 18+ clubnight without ushering everyone out to Bassment/another pub/home to the parents or wherever then I'd be intrigued to hear that as well.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but seeing as I'm not exactly an overly-tall guy are people just really late getting there or too polite to try and move if they can't see the stage or something? I've never had a problem getting a spot with at least a view whether the gig's sold out or otherwise so what's people's problem with seeing the stage? Sheer laziness or something I'm not picking up on?