aberdeen-music

negativity and insular attitudes in aberdeen

Stripey

I don't know about that. I'd say the little dramas show a bit of personal interaction. If people feel heated enough about music to get into a proper argument about it, it shows passion. If somebody just says 'no not my thing' then they're of fuck all use to the original poster, especially if it's regarding their music. They'd be more positive in posting nothing at all, or better yet giving a little criticism. 'Coure a load of people go overboard, but variety is the spice of life.

If it wasn't for these forum, Stripey wouldn't be known in the slightest around Aberdeen. He's actually marketed himself pretty well on AM. Hell, people were actively searching to find his mp3s a while back, just to see if his big fucking head was validated.

I certainly agree that if you set yourself up in a the public eye by posting music and asking for a critique then there should, of course, be discussion and negative comments if something is bad. It helps you improve. I dislike threads descending into a personal tirade of abuse. It's counter productive.

Stripey's only real problem is his broad brush approach to north east people and music. There are some amazing young acts (and not so young acts!!) out there and a huge diversity of musical tastes and genres. I find it difficult to believe he can't find anything he likes.

In the last few weeks alone, I've had several outstanding acts through my place. Bands like, Ded Rabbit, A Silent Fire, Bin Laden's Daughter and Mind Gone Blind to name but a few. Some of the stuff I've heard on north east bands myspace sites has been superb.

It's out there if you can be arsed looking for it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last few weeks alone, I've had several outstanding acts through my place. Bands like, Ded Rabbit, A Silent Fire, Bin Laden's Daughter and Mind Gone Blind to name but a few. Some of the stuff I've heard on north east bands myspace sites has been superb.

It's out there if you can be arsed looking for it.

The problem is that stripey regards guitar bands as old hat and worthless....so I wouldnt waste my time.

G...

I certainly agree that if you set yourself up in a the public eye by posting music and asking for a critique then there should, of course, be discussion and negative comments if something is bad. It helps you improve. I dislike threads descending into a personal tirade of abuse. It's counter productive.

I agree with that 100%

The problems arrise when young bands come on and describe themselves as unique/the heaviest/the most hardcore/etc/etc/etc then point you to a myspace where there are 'demos' of the band recorded on their drummers dads dansette casette recorder of them playing a pantera cover with no bass player....and after one negative comment they get all hurt and offended and claim that its a work in progress and that they are the best band in the world and everyone that criticise them are cunts and know nothing about real music......and breath.....o_O

Why is that some of the most prolific posters on this supposedly music related site are invariably totally negative

That analysis was a bit less positive than I'd have ideally hoped for, but I applaud your illustrative posts and examples within the thread. The self-sacrifice of your own credibility through circular reasoning, hypocrisy and unwarranted scatter shot attacks has been very helpful in demonstrating the kind of attitudes we really need a little less of. To me, this thread has been a work of sheer illogical genius, or to put it in layman's terms; stupidity. I really feel like we're on the cusp of something quite fantastic here at aberdeen-music and we all have you - yes you! - to thank for it. All hail King Stripey!

It's been a real fantastic day.

I agree with that 100%

The problems arrise when young bands come on and describe themselves as unique/the heaviest/the most hardcore/etc/etc/etc then point you to a myspace where there are 'demos' of the band recorded on their drummers dads dansette casette recorder of them playing a pantera cover with no bass player....and after one negative comment they get all hurt and offended and claim that its a work in progress and that they are the best band in the world and everyone that criticise them are cunts and know nothing about real music......and breath.....o_O

Too many young 'uns and thin skinned these days. They think things should be handed to them on a plate and they don't have to pay their dues. I blame stuff like x factor, instant fame shite. In reality, it takes years of hard work.