aberdeen-music

negativity and insular attitudes in aberdeen

Stripey

the noxious attitudes exhibited by people like cloud or graemec

Anything noxious emanating from me is generally aimed directly at you my sweet, you seem to think that your constant shit sniping is going to cause chaos and mass hysteria on Aberdeen music when in fact the vast majority just don't care whether your incessant griping about all things Aberdeen/band related is genuine or just shit.....my vote goes to the latter.

You used to mildly entertain me but you have turned into an irritation (minor) who avoids making any positive contribution to these boards and seems to manage to avoid answering even the simplest question on how (in your opinion) things could be improved which indicates to me that don't have a clue what yer on about....

The one thing that constantly puzzles me is your continued presence in this area and these boards if we are such a lost cause.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason you perceive me as being a largely negative poster is because I don't happen to share the same simplistic, uninformed tastes as the majority of other posters here when it comes to music and am in no way inhibited when it comes to stating my opinions.

But Stripey, you are actually pretty inhibited. You live in the North East of Scotland, which by all accounts, is pretty remote and out of the way. You live over two hours from the major population centres of Scotland, and 10 hours away from the capital of the country. Your music taste is incredibly narrow, as shown by your lack of positivity surrounding what would be regarded by others as being very edgy. In fact, your opinions are what I'd expect to find on such ...intellectual boards such as somethingawful.

Let's be honest Stripey, if you were in any way the person you think you are, you'd be living in somewhere cutting edge - South Korea comes to mind. You wouldn't be staying in miserable, cold Aberdeen, would you?

The reason I've "rarely had a good word to say about anything" is simply because there is rarely anything here that justifies it. Come to think of it, the only good things I hear anyone saying on this site is mates patting each other on the back or nonsense like "did you see ABC on telly or buy the new XYZ" "yes I did and it was good" and so on ad infinitum.

I think to be honest, you've got a massive chip on your shoulder relating from being an effective nobody in the grand scheme of things. It's not like "Stripey" is well known in any circles, is it? Oh, apart from your geeks in your little electronica IRC channel that you inevitably visit.

You are totally wrong if you think that every popular community on the internet is like this, the noxious attitudes exhibited by people like cloud or graemec, for example, collectively mirror the sick reality of whats in the minds of the horrible, ignorant people that inhabit this part of the country, and the fact that the moderators allow that kind of bullshit to go on is just pathetic.

Too many commas, you might want to grammar check your posts before you do.

Anyway, I think you're quite honestly a rather oppressed individual. All you seem to know about is Aberdeen and internet communities - have you actually went and experienced other cultures in other parts of the world? I really don't think you have..

The moderators here could actually make some effort to stop people doing the kind of thing in the original example I pointed to, that Estrella thread, but obviously they don't give a shit about promoting positive attitudes.

Hmm, Stripey, what about leading the way when it comes to positive attitudes? Oh wait, you can't do that, you're too bitter and twisted aren't you? ;)

The reason you perceive me as being a largely negative poster is because I don't happen to share the same simplistic, uninformed tastes as the majority of other posters here when it comes to music and am in no way inhibited when it comes to stating my opinions.

Infact I very, very rarely post any comments about the music being made by other posters on here precisely because they would be largely negative and seen as deliberately offensive. I'm positively fucking restrained to be perfectly honest.

The reason I've "rarely had a good word to say about anything" is simply because there is rarely anything here that justifies it. Come to think of it, the only good things I hear anyone saying on this site is mates patting each other on the back or nonsense like "did you see ABC on telly or buy the new XYZ" "yes I did and it was good" and so on ad infinitum.

You are totally wrong if you think that every popular community on the internet is like this, the noxious attitudes exhibited by people like cloud or graemec, for example, collectively mirror the sick reality of whats in the minds of the horrible, ignorant people that inhabit this part of the country, and the fact that the moderators allow that kind of bullshit to go on is just pathetic.

The moderators here could actually make some effort to stop people doing the kind of thing in the original example I pointed to, that Estrella thread, but obviously they don't give a shit about promoting positive attitudes.

miniature_violin_thumb.jpg

Flybmi. 10 hours? nah.

I love winding up Cloud... he likes winding up me too.

Last time I flew bmi, the plane spent more time on the ground taxiing at Heathrow than in the air :p But Hog...why don't you start an airline? FlyBaldy has a ring to it, you know... :p

(i don't like flying, hence the 10 hour comment :()

Infact I very, very rarely post any comments about the music being made by other posters on here precisely because they would be largely negative and seen as deliberately offensive. I'm positively fucking restrained to be perfectly honest.

You really do yourself no favours do you?

Did devolution mean that we are self governing? I dunno, if so, we are a country.

Nup, ultimate power still rests with Westminister, who can repeal the Scotland Act at any time they wish. Scotland's situation is similar to places like Catalonia - we have some degree of autonomy, but we're still part of a bigger unit.

Though I guess a lot depends on the definition of "country" - but as I see it, until Scotland gains independence, we're not a proper country.

I like it, get the audience on your side by telling them they are simplistic and uninformed. What are you, the next step on the evolutionary ladder, Homo Alonus?

If your opinions are only "largely negative", try practising what you preach and come out with a positive one occasionally.

Contradictory as ever, no backslapping allowed but we have to have a positive attitude.

Maybe you could lead by example by not posting unless you have something positive to say.

The reason I've "rarely had a good word to say about anything" is simply because there is rarely anything here that justifies it.

perhaps the reason that we perceive you as a negative poster is because you've rarely had a good word to say about anything. that could be me just drawing wild conclusions, but it seems quite straightforward

what i still don't understand is why you believe the majority of the posters on here to have "simplistic, uninformed tastes." there are an abundance of users with different tastes on here but regardless, what makes your taste more "informed" than anyone elses? you refuse to tell anyone what you listen to, i've never seen you with a positive thing to say about anything that anyone else likes and yet you patronise people with this kind of post.

all you do is complain about aberdeen, the people of aberdeen, the posters on aberdeen-music and the type of music that everyone else listens to. you made one attempt (to my memory - freakshow fugitive) of putting music up here for people to hear (which may be a good way of "informing" us) which met with mixed reviews, mostly hinting at blandness, then this music was removed by you like some kind of coverup. you preach about being "in no way inhibited when it comes to stating my opinions" and yet you refuse to let anyone give their opinion on your work.

i'm much rather have an AM full of clones who put up badly recorded versions of AC/DC covers and then suck each other off over how good they are, than have a single user like you who does nothing but talk shit and try to put people down.

you'd do well to do everyone on here a favour and fuck off.

/x

I have to agree with some of this. Other music related sites i visit, HUBL and Nessmp3 spring to mind, seem to be blessedly free of rancour. If people don't like something they either say nothing or state," No, not my thing really." and leave it at that, without descending into personal abuse.

Other sites, like undergroundscene for example are sometimes just zoos.

the noxious attitudes exhibited by people .....collectively mirror the sick reality of whats in the minds of the horrible, ignorant people that inhabit this part of the country, and the fact that the moderators allow that kind of bullshit to go on is just pathetic.

The moderators here could actually make some effort to stop people doing the kind of thing ..... but obviously they don't give a shit about promoting positive attitudes.

Sorry but this made laugh

Tell me its a super ironic wind up that is soooo funny its actually not funny

I have to agree with some of this. Other music related sites i visit, HUBL and Nessmp3 spring to mind, seem to be blessedly free of rancour. If people don't like something they either say nothing or state," No, not my thing really." and leave it at that, without descending into personal abuse.

I don't know about that. I'd say the little dramas show a bit of personal interaction. If people feel heated enough about music to get into a proper argument about it, it shows passion. If somebody just says 'no not my thing' then they're of fuck all use to the original poster, especially if it's regarding their music. They'd be more positive in posting nothing at all, or better yet giving a little criticism. 'Coure a load of people go overboard, but variety is the spice of life.

If it wasn't for these forum, Stripey wouldn't be known in the slightest around Aberdeen. He's actually marketed himself pretty well on AM. Hell, people were actively searching to find his mp3s a while back, just to see if his big fucking head was validated.

I used to get quite upset at negative comments that were made about bands that I was involved with in some capacity, but soon came to realize that a band with aspirations on success were going to get some negative shit at some point, so best when they are young and inexperienced.

I feel that most young bands need to get good kicking early on, it forces them to listen to the opinions and brings on that "i'll show you bastards" attitude which is a good thing I.M.H.O.F.W.I.W.....:up:

i do have to say there is some "groups" here, i won't mention names. But they all tend to agree with each other which is abit naff. more so when you see a person replying, then kinda know staight away that theres gonna be about 4 or 5 people straight away who will agree with the first (and i'm talkin about actually having a rough idea who'll post prior to them physically posting)

but what graeme said about young bands gettin lots of negitive feedback and that, well i'd agree whole heartily. i mean TUH were on the recieving end when we started recording (for the first time ever), slated badly, kinda hurt alot. but lookin back now, they were shoddy recordings. although saying that, i know we havent announced any new recordings since (even though there are vey recent ones) just because i feel we'd rather not have them slated, to feed some twats negitivity. :swearing: although the shit feedback did make us go "lets make a decent recording"

ok i think im done. sorry of parts dont make sense :D

i know we havent announced any new recordings since (even though there are vey recent ones) just because i feel we'd rather not have them slated, to feed some twats negitivity. :swearing: although the shit feedback did make us go "lets make a decent recording"

That is a stunningly poor attitude....you will never move on and improve if you dont get your work out into the public domain....

Its true of every form of media, its the punters who have to decide whats good....or not!!

That is a stunningly poor attitude....you will never move on and improve if you dont get your work out into the public domain....

Its true of every form of media, its the punters who have to decide whats good....or not!!

i know. i'd quite happily post stuff here. but we're tending to rely on word of mouth. seems to be working ok.

We'll have cd's at the next show (22nd Dec with short notice, tears of grace and flaming katy)

we've heard pretty decent stuff back so far from the people who have heard them.

if anyone fancys (like i said i was happy to do) heres the myspace linkage

www.myspace.com/theunknownherosband or just check out the jukebox, theres a song of ours on there :)