aberdeen-music

negativity and insular attitudes in aberdeen

Stripey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly.

To be honest Stripey, if you're good enough, you'll rise above it. There's no point blaming others for flaws in your business - for instance, if Hog was taking dodgy pictures and charging over the top, who's fault would it be if everyone slated him on here?

Speaking of Oceanrock Studios, this is their latest adventure - filming people.

Oceanrock Studios filming

To be brutally honest, if people on a forum are enough to bring your business down, then your business can't be that good to begin with. Oceanrock seem to be completely wasting their gear on what they're doing - but at the same time, it looks like they're doing just fine offering their services to mainly the local community.

To be honest Stripey, if you're good enough, you'll rise above it. There's no point blaming others for flaws in your business - for instance, if Hog was taking dodgy pictures and charging over the top, who's fault would it be if everyone slated him on here?

Dodgy photos are my speciality.:up:

Speaking of Oceanrock Studios, this is their latest adventure - filming people.

Oceanrock Studios filming

To be brutally honest, if people on a forum are enough to bring your business down, then your business can't be that good to begin with. Oceanrock seem to be completely wasting their gear on what they're doing - but at the same time, it looks like they're doing just fine offering their services to mainly the local community.

If you know anything about the recording studio world, you'll know that reputation is everything. Studios often build up their client bases through referals from bands that have recorded there. If a forum is ripping a studio's rep to shreds it will affect business, especially new business.

Suppose I offered you a day's free recording and gave you the choice of two studios. Let's say Oceanrock or The Mill. Where would you go?

Suppose I offered you a day's free recording and gave you the choice of two studios. Let's say Oceanrock or The Mill. Where would you go?

The Mill 100% because it has a fine reputation for producing quality recordings and the owner has never been on here claiming his studio is of similar quality to Abbey Road and Air or wherever... when it clearly is not.

Oh and Niall paid me to say that

I would also say that if someone I know were to recommend a studio to me and back it up with evidence of good recording then I would more than likely ignore any negative shit I heard on here, I believe that any studio that placed their faith on getting work just through claiming to be the bees knees on a message board.... deserve to crash and burn

G...

If you know anything about the recording studio world, you'll know that reputation is everything. Studios often build up their client bases through referals from bands that have recorded there. If a forum is ripping a studio's rep to shreds it will affect business, especially new business.

Can Internet forums have such a drastic affect on a recording studio?

I still think it all depends on how strong your business is to begin with - if it's strong, there's no need to lie about what you have, surely? Didn't the guy in question buy a lot of substandard gear, too?

Having said all this, looking at Oceanrock, they appear to have developed their niche in handling young bands from the community - which, if it pays the bills, might not be such a bad way to progress, especially if they're guaranteed cash cows.

I'd want to talk to both studio owners/engineers/whatever first. I'd also want to hear what had came out of both studios - as it might be sheer lunacy to go with The Mill if Oceanrock could deliver on what I wanted, right? Obviously The Mill have the reputation, but I'd choose whoever could give me the best.

Can Internet forums have such a drastic affect on a recording studio?

I still think it all depends on how strong your business is to begin with - if it's strong, there's no need to lie about what you have, surely? Didn't the guy in question buy a lot of substandard gear, too?

Having said all this, looking at Oceanrock, they appear to have developed their niche in handling young bands from the community - which, if it pays the bills, might not be such a bad way to progress, especially if they're guaranteed cash cows.

I'd want to talk to both studio owners/engineers/whatever first. I'd also want to hear what had came out of both studios - as it might be sheer lunacy to go with The Mill if Oceanrock could deliver on what I wanted, right? Obviously The Mill have the reputation, but I'd choose whoever could give me the best.

I think the main problem was, this guy didn't have a reputation as his studio was brand new. So all the bitching and slagging meant he never got a chance to build one.

I think you're right in saying that an established studio with a good rep and extensive back catalogue and client base has nothing to fear from forum bitchiness.

I like the stock answer to the hypothetical question. That may be valid if both studios were unknown to you. But I'm sure you know that the mill has an amex desk, both radar and soundscape, and runs to a bosedorfer grand piano. I know where I would spend my free session.

I like the stock answer to the hypothetical question. That may be valid if both studios were unknown to you. But I'm sure you know that the mill has an amex desk, both radar and soundscape, and runs to a bosedorfer grand piano. I know where I would spend my free session.

The Mill is not the be all and end all of studios, personally speaking having been there i would never go back out and spend that much of my own money in that studio ever again.

also, even tho we're verging dangerously off topic and a mod will swiftly be booting balls, there's as much to be said about recording with the right person as there is with the right place. not that i'm saying equipment doesnt matter or that the mill staff aren't excellent (i've never been there) but you need to be comfortable and be after the same thing, giving and getting the right kind of assistance in the right places. i recorded this past weekend in glsagow in urban studios which has a nice setup. it's not phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination, but simon is a top guy willing to work with what you have and make suggestions. as much as anything else, he's confident with his equipment and quick at what he does, which means you have plenty of time and opportunity to try new things and perfect old ones.

/x

also, even tho we're verging dangerously off topic and a mod will swiftly be booting balls, there's as much to be said about recording with the right person as there is with the right place. not that i'm saying equipment doesnt matter or that the mill staff aren't excellent (i've never been there) but you need to be comfortable and be after the same thing, giving and getting the right kind of assistance in the right places. i recorded this past weekend in glsagow in urban studios which has a nice setup. it's not phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination, but simon is a top guy willing to work with what you have and make suggestions. as much as anything else, he's confident with his equipment and quick at what he does, which means you have plenty of time and opportunity to try new things and perfect old ones.

/x

very true, and another reason why i wouldnt go back there, im not saying nial is a bad guy or anything, because he isnt, but i could never work with him again. i would much rather record in a smaller less professional studio with someone i can work with than spend heaps of money in a decent place with someone who doesnt understand where im coming from musically.

very true, and another reason why i wouldnt go back there, im not saying nial is a bad guy or anything, because he isnt, but i could never work with him again. i would much rather record in a smaller less professional studio with someone i can work with than spend heaps of money in a decent place with someone who doesnt understand where im coming from musically.

Not bigging up the mill in particular or saying oceanrock is a poor studio, just using these two as examples of different studios. I've heard good stuff coming out of both.

Sounds like you should visit me!!

a decent place with someone who doesnt understand where im coming from musically.

Is it possible that thats as much you're fault as his....?

Its true that a studio is only as good as its engineers....the benefits of good gear are quite simple though, the engineer/producer/mastering studio all have to spend less time with hissss, getting a decent sound from mics not quite up to the job, computer latency, snap crackle and pop and all the other problems associated with budget kit.

It all really comes down to money though....if you have the budget then you go to the best studio you can afford (in most cases), its funny how much better stuff sounds when its really well recorded.

Is it possible that thats as much you're fault as his....?

Its true that a studio is only as good as its engineers....the benefits of good gear are quite simple though, the engineer/producer/mastering studio all have to spend less time with hissss, getting a decent sound from mics not quite up to the job, computer latency, snap crackle and pop and all the other problems associated with budget kit.

It all really comes down to money though....if you have the budget then you go to the best studio you can afford (in most cases), its funny how much better stuff sounds when its really well recorded.

true and when i was there i was much younger. its all down to personal preference really, ive heard really great recordings from there and some poor ones, the same you would with any studio.

Where we are recording now is a really good studio with great gear, and steve is amazing to work with as far as im concerned, as i say it all comes down to each induvidual, I loved working with Mark Nicol yet some people dont.

I find that rich coming from one of the most negative posters on this site to be honest. You've rarely had a good word to say about anything on here in the couple of years or so you've been active on the site.

Over the years lots of new members have used the site to promote themselves and their music and managed to make friends and get some useful exposure through doing so. Some have turned up with the wrong attitude and rubbed people up the wrong way and then gotten some hassle afterwards. Others have perhaps been unfairly jumped on by people who maybe don't take this stuff as seriously as others, which is unfortunate and I hope they're in the minority. It doesn't make it right but every popular community on the web has people who like winding others up and this is no exception.

The reason you perceive me as being a largely negative poster is because I don't happen to share the same simplistic, uninformed tastes as the majority of other posters here when it comes to music and am in no way inhibited when it comes to stating my opinions.

Infact I very, very rarely post any comments about the music being made by other posters on here precisely because they would be largely negative and seen as deliberately offensive. I'm positively fucking restrained to be perfectly honest.

The reason I've "rarely had a good word to say about anything" is simply because there is rarely anything here that justifies it. Come to think of it, the only good things I hear anyone saying on this site is mates patting each other on the back or nonsense like "did you see ABC on telly or buy the new XYZ" "yes I did and it was good" and so on ad infinitum.

You are totally wrong if you think that every popular community on the internet is like this, the noxious attitudes exhibited by people like cloud or graemec, for example, collectively mirror the sick reality of whats in the minds of the horrible, ignorant people that inhabit this part of the country, and the fact that the moderators allow that kind of bullshit to go on is just pathetic.

The moderators here could actually make some effort to stop people doing the kind of thing in the original example I pointed to, that Estrella thread, but obviously they don't give a shit about promoting positive attitudes.