aberdeen-music

negativity and insular attitudes in aberdeen

Stripey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that some of the most prolific posters on this supposedly music related site are invariably totally negative, always jumping at the chance to shoot down anyone new or outside their circle of friends? Take the thread about Estralla being in the paper for example, (or any other thread which cloud has made the first reply to hahaaaaa), it's strange that it's attracted so many negative posts, while a few days ago a thread started by a convicted criminal about his own press exposure was full of praise.

I've experienced this myself when I made a post here about my exposure on radio 1, which just attracted abusive comments and accusations of egoism from people who didn't even listen to the show. As a further example, the admin of this site has even accused me of lying about my record deal, which just goes to show how deep the attitude problem goes.

Apparently, it's ok to promote yourself here as long as you are already well known or part of the in crowd doing the "in" thing.

I've always been of the opinion, and still am, that the north east stinks, and it's bad attitudes of the sort exhibited on this site which give credence to the observation.

Good point

Why has this been moved to "comments and suggestions"? it's about the music scene and attitudes towards music, therefore I posted it in "music discussion", it's just a testament to my original sentiment that some anally retentive moderator would try and marginalise such a thread by moving it to this forum.

Yes, explain.

"Comments & Suggestions This forum is for comments and suggestions regarding the web site."

Surely, if it had to be moved, general discussion would be the right place.

I didn't move the thread, but if you read Stripey's first post you will see he is making a comment about the attitude of some people that post on this web site. Hence why it was moved to here. One could argue the topic of this thread has now since expanded to discuss the attitude of people in Aberdeen and the North-East in general however.

Personally, I find it highly amusing that Stripey of all people has started a discussion about being negative on this web site. I don't know if he aiming to just draw attention to himself again by posting this thread or if he is actually being serious.

Web sites like this always seem to attract people who like to cause chaos and wind people up. When you meet them in the pub, they're usually perfectly nice people.

I dare say stripey is perfectly OK in the flesh. On line personas are always a bit weird.

There does seem to be some pretty vehement debates on here, which, of course is a good thing, provided it doesn't descend into personal abuse.

I remember reading a thread on a music forum years ago, the name now escapes me, about a guy who started a studio, mortgaged his house to do it, then was torn apart by the members over his level of equipment, experience, everything really. As a result, people got the entirely wrong impression. He got no work and ended up selling up, losing his house and almost being bankrupt.

An extreme example perhaps, but it goes to show how public forums can affect individuals quite seriously. It's fine to make a point or state an opinion, but, keep it civil.

I remember reading a thread on a music forum years ago, the name now escapes me, about a guy who started a studio, mortgaged his house to do it, then was torn apart by the members over his level of equipment, experience, everything really. As a result, people got the entirely wrong impression. He got no work and ended up selling up, losing his house and almost being bankrupt.

Ooh, I remember that thread. It was on a sound engineering forum or something. It got linked to from the musicians forum here.

Ooh, I remember that thread. It was on a sound engineering forum or something. It got linked to from the musicians forum here.

That's the fella! A tragic tale. To be fair the guy did claim to be the equivalent of Abbey Road and AIR which was plainly not going to be the case. But the visceral response was a bit over the top.

Web sites like this always seem to attract people who like to cause chaos and wind people up. When you meet them in the pub, they're usually perfectly nice people

It's the same mentality as hurling insults on CB radio (remember them?) or flipping the bird to another driver going in the opposite direction.

Everyone is safe in their relative anonimity, in their wee shells - keyboard heroes!

I've had the pleasure of meeting a quite few of you - via my GAS-driven equipment wheelings and dealings and without exception the folks I've met up with have been really fine guys & gals.

I'm sure Stripey is no different, but jeez, he disnae dae hissel oany favours on here!!

An extreme example perhaps, but it goes to show how public forums can affect individuals quite seriously. It's fine to make a point or state an opinion, but, keep it civil.

Was that the dude from Aboyne?

If it was, then I take the opposite view, if you attempt to create a career for yourself in the music and recording game locally, it helps if you dont start by telling a pack of lies, talking shit and making outragous claims that were impossible to fulfill, if you do then you deserve to get royally fucked over.

Was that the dude from Aboyne?

If it was, then I take the opposite view, if you attempt to create a career for yourself in the music and recording game locally, it helps if you dont start by telling a pack of lies, talking shit and making outragous claims that were impossible to fulfill, if you do then you deserve to get royally fucked over.

True. In a way it's useful that people on a forum would be so critical. If they hadn't showed him up for false advertising, musicians could go along expecting Abbey Road and completely waste their cash on rubbish quality covered by lies.

As for bands, if someone is so big headed about their music, it doesn't really show they have much innitiative for improvement. At least modesty shows a desire to constantly better what they're doing.

It's a damn shame about the bloke losing his home all the same. Nobody deserves that.

True. In a way it's useful that people on a forum would be so critical. If they hadn't showed him up for false advertising, musicians could go along expecting Abbey Road and completely waste their cash on rubbish quality covered by lies.

As for bands, if someone is so big headed about their music, it doesn't really show they have much innitiative for improvement. At least modesty shows a desire to constantly better what they're doing.

It's a damn shame about the bloke losing his home all the same. Nobody deserves that.

No, he was from england somewhere.

The tragic thing was, his studio was pretty well equipped with a pro tools rig or soundscape can't remember which.

You don't need to go to abbey road or AIR to have a good recording made-I'd be pretty fucked if you did!!

I just felt sorry. I think it was the unrestrained glee and joy that these guys (none of whom had an abbey road studio themselves) set out to destroy him that bugged me.

But I take your point that he played a role in his own downfall.