aberdeen-music

negativity and insular attitudes in aberdeen

Stripey

Why is that some of the most prolific posters on this supposedly music related site are invariably totally negative, always jumping at the chance to shoot down anyone new or outside their circle of friends? Take the thread about Estralla being in the paper for example, (or any other thread which cloud has made the first reply to hahaaaaa), it's strange that it's attracted so many negative posts, while a few days ago a thread started by a convicted criminal about his own press exposure was full of praise.

I've experienced this myself when I made a post here about my exposure on radio 1, which just attracted abusive comments and accusations of egoism from people who didn't even listen to the show. As a further example, the admin of this site has even accused me of lying about my record deal, which just goes to show how deep the attitude problem goes.

Apparently, it's ok to promote yourself here as long as you are already well known or part of the in crowd doing the "in" thing.

I've always been of the opinion, and still am, that the north east stinks, and it's bad attitudes of the sort exhibited on this site which give credence to the observation.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that some of the most prolific posters on this supposedly music related site are invariably totally negative, always jumping at the chance to shoot down anyone new or outside their circle of friends? Take the thread about Estralla being in the paper for example, (or any other thread which cloud has made the first reply to hahaaaaa), it's strange that it's attracted so many negative posts, while a few days ago a thread started by a convicted criminal about his own press exposure was full of praise.

I've experienced this myself when I made a post here about my exposure on radio 1, which just attracted abusive comments and accusations of egoism from people who didn't even listen to the show. As a further example, the admin of this site has even accused me of lying about my record deal, which just goes to show how deep the attitude problem goes.

Apparently, it's ok to promote yourself here as long as you are already well known or part of the in crowd doing the "in" thing.

I've always been of the opinion, and still am, that the north east stinks, and it's bad attitudes of the sort exhibited on this site which give credence to the observation.

Well that was deliciously hypocritical.

There is one thing I have noticed. Now, I know it is not some kind of prerequisite, but there are genres in Aberdeen where the establish acts simply frown on new acts and do nothing to help.

The established acts dont have to do anything to help anyone but tbh it would be nice.

There is a great deal of selfishness in the local scene.

wouldn't it be nice to see people more interested in music than they are in putting each other down?

You must be having a laugh!

You've put down just about every guitar-based band you've commented on, on this site. I don't doubt you're interested in music, you just seem to be only interested in a couple of very specific genres of music. There are heaps of links to music on here that I think is utter shite, so I don't bother posting. You love putting down any local guitar bands.

There is one thing I have noticed. Now, I know it is not some kind of prerequisite, but there are genres in Aberdeen where the establish acts simply frown on new acts and do nothing to help.

The established acts dont have to do anything to help anyone but tbh it would be nice.

There is a great deal of selfishness in the local scene.

It does seem to be limited to certain genres.

Getting into the acoustic scene for me has been as difficult as slipping into my pjs. I've had loads of help and positivity from the Tunnels, One Up, Stable Table and shitloads of bands/artists. The age range is varied too, but everyone's straight up groovy.

I suppose it could be said that a lot of people make it hard for themselves.

It does seem to be limited to certain genres.

Getting into the acoustic scene for me has been as difficult as slipping into my pjs. I've had loads of help and positivity from the Tunnels, One Up, Stable Table and shitloads of bands/artists. The age range is varied too, but everyone's straight up groovy.

I suppose it could be said that a lot of people make it hard for themselves.

Im glad to hear that.

I do get the impression that the local acoustic scene is really cool.

Now metal.............

Why is that some of the most prolific posters on this supposedly music related site are invariably totally negative

I find that rich coming from one of the most negative posters on this site to be honest. You've rarely had a good word to say about anything on here in the couple of years or so you've been active on the site.

But anyway with regards to the Estrella thread it seemed to me that the negative attitudes where from 1 or 2 posters who seem to always crop up in that kind of thread, and despite being active I like to think they're in the minority with regards to their attitude. At the end of the day though they have an opinion on a band and this is a music discussion site so they're free to give that opinion within reason.

With regards to your thread perhaps you've made a rod for your own back with your own unbridaled negativity towards everything else that gets posted here. It's not an ideal situation but I know you've had good feedback here from some people in the past.

As for your little dig at Kai, well his threads were about a convicted criminal's point of view on the Scottish penal system. An opinion he's pretty qualified to give so I don't really see what you're getting at, especially considering you're no angel yourself. Everyone makes mistakes in life, he's done his time and he's free to present his opinion on his experiences.

Over the years lots of new members have used the site to promote themselves and their music and managed to make friends and get some useful exposure through doing so. Some have turned up with the wrong attitude and rubbed people up the wrong way and then gotten some hassle afterwards. Others have perhaps been unfairly jumped on by people who maybe don't take this stuff as seriously as others, which is unfortunate and I hope they're in the minority. It doesn't make it right but every popular community on the web has people who like winding others up and this is no exception.

But to be fair all he wanted to do was to talk about the gig and the very first response was negative so obviously he is gonna be defensive.

I think you're colleague's problem was part enthusiasm and partly bad wording. In some threads he said your band sucked and in others he seemed to indicate they were fucking ace. For a new, young band starting out i just seems to invite scepticism. Perhaps not his fault but maybe a little restraint on his part would've seen a different attitude from other posters.

I think you're colleague's problem was part enthusiasm and partly bad wording. In some threads he said your band sucked and in others he seemed to indicate they were fucking ace. For a new, young band starting out i just seems to invite scepticism. Perhaps not his fault but maybe a little restraint on his part would've seen a different attitude from other posters.

Well to try and clarify things i would say that i like the music we make and i think we are tight practising but we are like any new band starting out, the more gigs we get the better and more comfortable on stage we will be.

Im being sarcastic buddy.

If it is any help contact-

Fudge,

AUBL

Might duck Promotions

Dizzy Storm.

Chaos Creations.

Especially hound Fudge...:up:

Ha well we are playing a gig through fudge next saturday with kenetic but that is the only one i have managed to set up in town, but cheers i will def hassle them for shows at some point.

You would have had a point had you not been the most negative person on here.