aberdeen-music

Press and Journal Write Up

Estrella

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Aye, read that article at work. My laughing almost unsettled a resident who was trying to watch The Jeremy Kyle Show. Then I read the words under the picture. Gumby city, muthafuckas. Could be worse, could have been on North Tonight.

Guest Kilgore Trout

what's this thread all about again? dingness by degrees?

by all accounts on here this should make the "news" section of the next fudge fanzine.

watch this space.

(or not if you have anything better to do.)

• 11 years later...

The tragic events of this weekend left me feeling nostalgic, so I started digging through some threads on here...  All seems so petty now, doesn’t it?

In the end I reckon that Estrella went on to achieve far more in the intervening decade than 10EW ever did, although both bands were great in their time.

RIP Nathan/Tommy, hope you had a blast, you were an absolute joy to work with.

• Like 1

It was a thread previous to this that actually led to us booking Estrella, I recall Laura and myself figuring that a band would have to be really good to inspire this much jealousy and derision on here, and we weren’t dissapponted.  Yes the music was unfashionable, but fuck me even back then they were tight, had their sound figured out, and put on an excellent show.

The diversity of, and depth of talent in, the local music scene back then was truly something to behold!

• Upvote 2

That’s sad news.

They were indeed always very ‘tight’ - a term that makes me nostalgic in itself. Probably the Aberdeen band I’ve seen the most in my lifetime from days working in Drummond’s. They had their set down to a T, knew exactly how they wanted it to sound and didn’t fanny about getting drunk and bugging folk before/after. Professional is the word.

On 2/28/2018 at 12:34 AM, Flash@TMB said:

The tragic events of this weekend left me feeling nostalgic, so I started digging through some threads on here...  All seems so petty now, doesn’t it?

Honestly, despite all the flaming that went on here, I only ever encountered one person who was genuinely a dick about things in real life after what was posted on here - and no, it wasn't Ben. 

It's true though, there was so much pettiness, but perhaps that was because the music scene was big and diverse enough for such grudges to be held? I remember helping a friend empty  Drummonds one night after his band decided to take the piss and play 30 minutes of noise on a Friday night, and it didn't matter because there were plenty of other gigs to play, even if Drummonds were pissed off with him.

Come to think of it, it seems like the Aberdeen music scene was popular for a long time, but was it really any more than 3-4 years maximum?

Edited by Cloud

Horrible news - were they still playing shows? 

The 'Aberdeen music scene' (along with I guess many other 'music scenes' across the country/world) has changed with THE INTERNET. There's less of a desire to go and see shows - I would consider myself pretty much entrenched in the 'scene' in Aberdeen - but I'll still sack off going to see a show in favour of staying in more often than not. I'm old, I guess. And 'the kids' just have other stuff going on (or I don't see what they're up to - maybe they have their own wee 'scene' that I'm too old for?).

(As a side note, 10EW's achievements or otherwise are still irrelevant to this discussion now.)