aberdeen-music

Press and Journal Write Up

Estrella

its their management company that make a fool of them, not really them. every thread started by estrella on here types like a press release. i dunno how in touch with the uk music scene this management company are (maybe very very very, maybe not?) or how hands on with the band they are. from what i have seen they mainly alienate the band from anything that is not industry related, which will be very detrimental to the band in the long run.

cmon though, standard letters out to every pub/bar/function room in town to tell them that they have a new ep out, and if they would like a copy to play over the cd player they should phone up and ask, rather than just sending a cd in the hope that they stick it on. and im sure there are plenty of other "ideas" that they have about about PR in scotland/uk etc

where the management company are doign a lot of good for them, they are also doing a lot of bad. each to their own though eh?

exactly my point, the band do not have a bad attitute or think of themselves as the best band ever, they just have bad direction from a management company that may or may not know what its doing. If the managment company enlist them into these things then they have to play simple as.

Guest inc18457

following bladeola's reply to another thread...

*milner: with all due respect, what is the point in arguing with people like Tom...when none of your bands actually have done anything outside aberdeenshire, fair enoiugh youve won £4000 recently, but bar soem new equipment to play some more gigs at the moorings, what are you going to do with that money? (hypothetical question, you don't have to answer)

*estrella: well done for not seeing/not replying to this horrible thread.

*dynamite: what is your major malfunction?

*tom: well done for 'keeping your cool' with milners repeated retardery.

sounds like this a personal thing against milner, doesn't it? it's not!!

following bladeola's reply to another thread...

*milner: with all due respect, what is the point in arguing with people like Tom...when none of your bands actually have done anything outside aberdeenshire, fair enoiugh youve won £4000 recently, but bar soem new equipment to play some more gigs at the moorings, what are you going to do with that money? (hypothetical question, you don't have to answer)

*estrella: well done for not seeing/not replying to this horrible thread.

*dynamite: what is your major malfunction?

*tom: well done for 'keeping your cool' with milners repeated retardery.

sounds like this a personal thing against milner, doesn't it? it's not!!

As tom pointed out i dont have to have done anything to have an opinion on something.

your right ive achieved fuck all in music as of yet and there is a good chance i never will, but i still stand by what i said.

exactly my point, the band do not have a bad attitute or think of themselves as the best band ever, they just have bad direction from a management company that may or may not know what its doing. If the managment company enlist them into these things then they have to play simple as.

From what little I know, their management company is pretty much a total nobody "company" based in a basement flat in London. It's no surprise that they're going about things completely the wrong way - but ultimately, Estrella chose to be represented by them. I think that's why they're coming across so badly on here - most people can see right through what they're doing, so it's hurting them in the long run.

I dare say in time, Estrella will become Aberdeen's version of The Hedrons.

Is it even the band that's posting half of the rubbish press releases on here?

From what little I know, their management company is pretty much a total nobody "company" based in a basement flat in London. It's no surprise that they're going about things completely the wrong way - but ultimately, Estrella chose to be represented by them.

very true, but if i was offered the chance to practise everyday in a nice big house, without having to pay bills and was getting paid for it at the same time i would take the chance.

very true, but if i was offered the chance to practise everyday in a nice big house, without having to pay bills and was getting paid for it at the same time i would take the chance.

Who wouldn't, really?

Mind you, I'd pass on the offer if it meant signing everything away to the people paying for it all.

D'you reckon their management company would pay for a decent website as well? PDF profiles of band members?! Weird.

Oh my god, I looked at their profiles, one of them is apparently called Tommy Gunn....now, if their management company was wise, they'd know better than to let a band member be named after the villain in Rocky V :laughing:

Guest Kilgore Trout

i read the article, it was okay. really though, as a yardstick i allways think if the P and J show any interest in anything music wise it must be ding, its allways just plain cringeworthy to read. mind you, a sea change could be at hand- didn't dizzy storm chief executive sharon mention that the P and J had actually shown interest in one of her shows recently? Some of my work colleagues in the canteen were less level headed than me in their assesment of the article though, but i think its harsh to judge a band just by a picture.

Guest Kilgore Trout
The article reads perfectly well on-line. Nothing about it made me cringe.

Cloud - Perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect Tommy Gunn is the guys real name. I went to uni with a guy called 'Peter Gunn', something that a few of the older members might find amusing.

we probably have different tastes in music. thats the fun of music though.

From what little I know, their management company is pretty much a total nobody "company" based in a basement flat in London. It's no surprise that they're going about things completely the wrong way - but ultimately, Estrella chose to be represented by them. I think that's why they're coming across so badly on here - most people can see right through what they're doing, so it's hurting them in the long run.

I dare say in time, Estrella will become Aberdeen's version of The Hedrons.

Im just picking you on one thing here. Some of the best record labels and management companies have started in bassments, bedrooms, garages etc. This ISNT what makes them a bad management company.

Guest Kilgore Trout
Im just picking you on one thing here. Some of the best record labels and management companies have started in bassments, bedrooms, garages etc. This ISNT what makes them a bad management company.

very true. cloud knows a lot of stuff though.

ahhaha..

anyway..

we played one of those battle of the bands competitions... the name escapes me.. but im sure there was some murmurings on these boards about it.. ;)

but basically.. we had a super time doing those gigs

(which included kef and the doghouse the 1st year and then tunnels, carling academy glasgow and mean fiddler london 2nd time around)

we made a lot of new friends on the ol' myspace y'know, had stuff in the paper, got some good reviews and advice from people who had never seen us before, sold some stuff etc. etc.

and we also got some groovy videos done for us

check them out if you've finished arguing - http://www.youtube.com/hotmangu

fish even won a new bass at the uk finals... which is always nice

:]

the whole thing was a nice learning opportunity for everyone

which none of us regret for a second

now i personally have no interest in estella's classic rock stylings

but good luck to them, boys done good :up:

Personally, I love the style of music Estrella play. I love all the bands everyone on here would hate, and dismiss and mindless pish: Motley Crue, Poison, Faster Pussycat, Warrant etc etc etc. But I'm not really much of a fan of Estrella. I mean from what I can gather, they're lovely blokes and they can all play their instruments well, I just don't think much of their tunes, they're fairly bland an generic? My two cents anyway.

~Andy

Ahhh... Estrella... our hard rocking amigos who said "We play all our own songs"... Strange... when they played Thurso a couple of months ago, they played several covers in their set, not sure if they even played an original song, though it'd be hard to tell because they'd probably sound identical to the songs they were covering.

I'm really sick to death of them. They come from Thurso... not Aberdeen. Every article about them calls them an Aberdeen band. They never seem to correct them on that.

My opinion on Estrella is, that they are a bunch of hippies. I hate their music, I hate the stupid way they dress, I hate their lack of originality(come on, it's the 21st Century), I hate that Paul(not Pablo) is a complete cunt who seems to think he has a huge ego(he was such a nice guy at school), I hate that Nathan changed his name to "Tommy" cos it wasn't rock enough and I hate that they are representing Scotland... I never asked for them to represent me... so they can fuck right off.

BOTB competitions are fine for a laugh and for making contacts... This band seem to go into them as if their life depends on it!

I'm definately in agreement with Tom and Ben. I also don't get why Milner dragged 10EW into this at all. It had nothing to do with 10EW and the fact that Tom plays in the band means jack shit. He doesn't speak for the band, he speaks for himself.

• Upvote 1

Ahhh... Estrella... our hard rocking amigos who said "We play all our own songs"... Strange... when they played Thurso a couple of months ago, they played several covers in their set, not sure if they even played an original song, though it'd be hard to tell because they'd probably sound identical to the songs they were covering.

I'm really sick to death of them. They come from Thurso... not Aberdeen. Every article about them calls them an Aberdeen band. They never seem to correct them on that.

My opinion on Estrella is, that they are a bunch of hippies. I hate their music, I hate the stupid way they dress, I hate their lack of originality(come on, it's the 21st Century), I hate that Paul(not Pablo) is a complete cunt who seems to think he has a huge ego(he was such a nice guy at school), I hate that Nathan changed his name to "Tommy" cos it wasn't rock enough and I hate that they are representing Scotland... I never asked for them to represent me... so they can fuck right off.

BOTB competitions are fine for a laugh and for making contacts... This band seem to go into them as if their life depends on it!

I'm definately in agreement with Tom and Ben. I also don't get why Milner dragged 10EW into this at all. It had nothing to do with 10EW and the fact that Tom plays in the band means jack shit. He doesn't speak for the band, he speaks for himself.

Finally: Relevance returns after much going off at tangents.

As tom pointed out i dont have to have done anything to have an opinion on something.

your right ive achieved fuck all in music as of yet and there is a good chance i never will' date=' but i still stand by what i said.[/quote']

That said, why does Tom have to have achieved anything to have an opinion on Estrella?