aberdeen-music

Press and Journal Write Up

Estrella

Estrella make Headlines in today's Press and Journal. The write up reports our latest success in making the World finals of the Global Battle of the Bands. Which is being held in the Astoria, London, on the 12th December.

If you haven't yet managed to get the todays paper, the full write up's can be found at the following link:

Press and Journal

For more info about Estrella check out www.estrella-rocks.com or www.myspace.com/estrellarock

Guest bluesxman

"Previous winners of the event, Kopec and Second, are now signed to major record labels on the back of their success."

Has anyone ever heard of these 2 success stories or am I just hopelessly out of touch (as usual) ?

Guest bluesxman

"KOPEC was awarded an architecture and reactor system engineering service contract for the Shin-Kori Nuclear Power Plant Units 3 & 4 by the Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (KHNP) and Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction on August 28, 2006 respectively. The project is expected to last for about 8 years and the unit 3 and 4 are scheduled for completion in September 2013 and September 2014, respectively."

Pretty good from a talent contest! Who says they are pointless!!!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Your band is a total joke and the music you make is utter garbage. Nobody in the world, let alone the music industry, takes Battle Of The Bands contests seriously. The only people that benefit from them are the organisers, who rake in shitloads of cash as pathetic bands try to buy their way through the heats in a pathetic bid for the 'one way ticket to the big time' that all of finals offer. Has anybody ever heard of any band in the history of music whose careers benefited from winning one of these scam competitions?

Your band is a total joke and the music you make is utter garbage. Nobody in the world, let alone the music industry, takes Battle Of The Bands contests seriously. The only people that benefit from them are the organisers, who rake in shitloads of cash as pathetic bands try to buy their way through the heats in a pathetic bid for the 'one way ticket to the big time' that all of finals offer. Has anybody ever heard of any band in the history of music whose careers benefited from winning one of these scam competitions?

Bill and Ted?

You seem to slag off every band/ genre of music on here.

Are you one of these people who hates everything? IT'S ALL SHITE!!!!

Is your band any good?

I did see you once, but thought you were pretty terrible too.

Maybe you should enter next year?

The final beckons!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

No mate, I slag off the bad ones. No, I'm not one of those people who hates everything. Here are just a few of the things I love:

Decent coffee

Scratching

My folks' dogs

Going to the beach

Yeah my band's pretty good, in fact we've got so much artistic integrity and are so ambitious that 'getting people to rock and roll like the good old days' is just one of our objectives, along with not wearing Axl Rose wigs from the joke factory on stage, or playing guitar solos with our teeth.

I'm sorry if you haven't had time to check us out recently mate, but you're entitled to your own opinion just like everyone else.

the same could be said for you.

They may be scams but lets face it Estrella have gotten further than you will ever get with their music so fair play to them. When was the last time you played the astoria? Do you have a management company that pays for you to be anything but a band? I think the guys are doing ok for themselves.

They may be scams but lets face it Estrella have gotten further than you will ever get with their music so fair play to them. When was the last time you played the astoria? Do you have a management company that pays for you to be anything but a band? I think the guys are doing ok for themselves.

That's not entirely accurate. The Wishes were playing abroad ages ago... and it's safe to say their sound is way more original than Estrella's. They've definately got better prospects.

That's not entirely accurate. The Wishes were playing abroad ages ago... and it's safe to say their sound is way more original than Estrella's. They've definately got better prospects.

wow so they played a few shows in belguim was it, and then what happened? They split up for a year....great work that was.

im willing to put down everything i have ever owned on them never doing anything of note out of aberdeen, to be honest id prob do the same for estrella but i wouldnt say they were a joke band. They are a professional band who do what they love and they do it quite well, what is the harm in that? Its not like, and this isnt really ment as a dig, ten easy wishes actually play anything that hasnt been done before, better, by other bands.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Could the same be said for me/10ew? Please explain. Where did you get your crystal ball mate? I'd personally call playing in front of 300 people who I've never seen in my life, having a fucking whale of a time in a city 500 miles from home at the age of 18 more of an accomplishment than having a 'management company' (a true mark of success) get me onto the bill of free @ the dee, or playing an enormous venue in front of 25 other bands' rent-a-crowds, whom each bought their way through the same battle of the bands bullshit competition. Tell me Milner, do you actually think Estrella are a more credible band than 10EW? If so please explain why.

Please also explain what 'my band' has to do with my statement. Are people only allowed to criticise other acts if they are in a better band? Do the NME writers all play in massive bands that allows them to write bad reviews for major label acts? I don't understand this heirarchical system.

I actually agree with Tom if i'm honest.

I don't agree on the stuff he has said about Estrella. I know who they are but I dont think I've ever seen or heard them.

I do, however agree on what he has said about battle of the band contests. IN MY OPINION, they are a joke and are kind've seen by the majority of the industry that way. They tend to conjure up images of bands that are pretty desperate for recognition of the wrong kind and/or on the way out. Often I feel it's bands who are misguided that play these things.

Before I get jumped on (who am I kidding, of course I will!) I would like to point out that I realise not all bands are in music with the intentions to try and get somewhere etc etc and do find these contests fun. Peace to that.

Most bands that do win these things are generally never heard of again or never break out of their own comfortable surroundings.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
im willing to put down everything i have ever owned on them never doing anything of note out of aberdeen, to be honest id prob do the same for estrella but i wouldnt say they were a joke band. They are a professional band who do what they love and they do it quite well, what is the harm in that? Its not like, and this isnt really ment as a dig, ten easy wishes actually play anything that hasnt been done before, better, by other bands.

10EW have done...4 or 5 national tours? With recognised artists (they even have record deals you know) like Dave House and Tellison...toured Belgium, dates in The Shetland Isles, all booked without a manager or agent. Sold hundreds of CDs on tour, maybe a couple of hundred Tshirts, been invited down to London countless times for one off shows (and played them), recorded with a nationally recognised producer. Had local and national radio play...live session for Northsound One...and have some cool stuff planned/yet to be announced too. It's not much, but it ain't bad either. For you to say that we 'will never' do anything out of Aberdeen is not only stultifyingly ill-informed, but pig ignorant to boot. Also, if you are seriously trying to suggest that we have no more a unique sound or style than Estrella, you're absolutely insane.

Could the same be said for me/10ew? Please explain. Where did you get your crystal ball mate? I'd personally call playing in front of 300 people who I've never seen in my life, having a fucking whale of a time in a city 500 miles from home at the age of 18 more of an accomplishment than having a 'management company' (a true mark of success) get me onto the bill of free @ the dee, or playing an enormous venue in front of 25 other bands' rent-a-crowds, whom each bought their way through the same battle of the bands bullshit competition. Tell me Milner, do you actually think Estrella are a more credible band than 10EW? If so please explain why.

Please also explain what 'my band' has to do with my statement. Are people only allowed to criticise other acts if they are in a better band? Do the NME writers all play in massive bands that allows them to write bad reviews for major label acts? I don't understand this heirarchical system.

i think both bands are as equally credible as each other.

Thing is tom if you are going to attack these cometitoins at least know what your talking about, they havent had to sell tickets to get to this final, as far as i know they havent sold any for any of the dates they played.

The reason i bring your band into it is because for a long time now you seem to think that the wishes are some kind of musical revoloution, but your not, your just like any band trying to get somewhere and you guys are not better at it than %99 of bands up here and yes every NME writer is in a huge globaly succesful band.....

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I do, however agree on what he has said about battle of the band contests. IN MY OPINION, they are a joke and are kind've seen by the majority of the industry that way. They tend to conjure up images of bands that are pretty desperate for recognition of the wrong kind and/or on the way out. Often I feel it's bands who are misguided that play these things.

Absolutely spot on. Of course though, what I post here is nothing but my opinion and only mine, so I don't feel the need to pre-empt everything I say with that disclaimer. Some people just don't understand this fact.

your just like any band trying to get somewhere and you guys are not better at it than %99 of bands up here

Bollocks. That's a terrible made up statistic.

I think their achievements alone proove that 10 Easy Wishes are certainly in the top bracket of bands in the area. Their music of course is down to personal taste, although as someone who likes that sort of thing, I'd say they're far better than the majority and well above average (that's roughly 50% by the way).

Absolutely spot on. Of course though, what I post here is nothing but my opinion and only mine, so I don't feel the need to pre-empt everything I say with that disclaimer. Some people just don't understand this fact.

Yes, and that's why I do put that disclaimer in. Like you say, on this site,misunderstood. If you're all nice and sit on the fence with everything you dont get bothered but as soon as you say something that ruffles some feathers or you even dare to bring what experience you have had in a band that say has worked harder and experienced more than the majority on here, you get raped!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
i think both bands are as equally credible as each other.

Thing is tom if you are going to attack these cometitoins at least know what your talking about, they havent had to sell tickets to get to this final, as far as i know they havent sold any for any of the dates they played.

The reason i bring your band into it is because for a long time now you seem to think that the wishes are some kind of musical revoloution, but your not, your just like any band trying to get somewhere and you guys are not better at it than %99 of bands up here and yes every NME writer is in a huge globaly succesful band.....

You are an idiot then. When did I mention selling tickets? What strikes me as odd is that this band, and many others like them, win battle of the bands competitions when they are almost always glorified cover bands. Whenever decent, original and entirely accessable bands enter, they're never successful. C'mon dude, it's a well known fact that these competitions are totally corrupt and promoted by people with only on their minds.

The reason you bring my band into it is because you don't like the fact that we're trying to do something different. We are not trying to start a revolution, and we are under no delusions that guitar pop is not a fleeting genre. We simply have some ambition to create our own sound. We want to play music that people can't listen to and mistake for another band, or dilute into a particular scene. Most bands don't even seem to want to try it, let alone succeed or fail. I personally would not put us in the lowest 1% of local bands, but I have faith in what we are trying to do, which is create interesting, dynamic and clever pop music.

You are an idiot then. When did I mention selling tickets? What strikes me as odd is that this band, and many others like them, win battle of the bands competitions when they are almost always glorified cover bands. Whenever decent, original and entirely accessable bands enter, they're never successful. C'mon dude, it's a well known fact that these competitions are totally corrupt and promoted by people with only on their minds.

Amen to that.