aberdeen-music

ISP recommendations???

Paul G

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ (formerly adslguide.org.uk)

That's a good site to compare services and prices.

Avoid all the too good to be true deals (unlimited broadband, free broadband, combined phone line and broadband offers etc.) and maybe do a search for their name on The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/) first see if they've had any bad press recently.

I'm with Freedom2Surf and never had any problems with them (even though they had a service blip recently, my connection didn't seem to be affected). Other people I know are on PlusNet and are pretty happy.

Guest onlynik

Wouldn't use freedom to surf or Plusnet as both have had serious problems recently (Plusnet lost users emails F2S don't have a helpdesk to speak off and lose calls - they still email me regarding callls I logged and I've not been with them for over a year)

Over the years I have been with

BT

Plusnet

Freedom 2 surf

Ace internet

UKFSN.org

Zen Internet.

Zen was definitley the best, they have proper technical support who can help you and will answer the phone.

Typically you get what you pay for, you need to decide how much you are going to be using it and how much you are willing to pay, bear in mind that the cheaper connections can limit your speed (traffic shaping) or limit your download capacity.

Wouldn't use freedom to surf or Plusnet as both have had serious problems recently (Plusnet lost users emails F2S don't have a helpdesk to speak off and lose calls - they still email me regarding callls I logged and I've not been with them for over a year)

I've phoned F2S' tech support before and thought they were great. I know 4 other people on F2S who have never had any problems with them either, and we're all heavy users.

Different people have different experiences I guess.

Guest onlynik

Plusnet outright lied to me, and even after rasing a ticket regarding packet shaping and why it wasn't mentioned in the FUP or the T&Cs replied, "If we told customers about this they wouldn't sign up" which I though was kind of cheeky.

The F2S problems were all associated with speed, disconnections, and latency. I could only play BF2 for about 10 minutes max before being disconnected, and shocking download speeds.

there are details of their shocking service here

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=f2s&Number=2477676&page=24&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

not to mention the unoffical help http://www.freedom2support.co.uk

Plusnet outright lied to me, and even after rasing a ticket regarding packet shaping and why it wasn't mentioned in the FUP or the T&Cs replied, "If we told customers about this they wouldn't sign up" which I though was kind of cheeky.

The only problem with Plusnet was with users trying to get the cheap deals but still use huge amounts of bandwidth, which I don't think they were ready for. They're not really designed for serious gamers/P2Pers. In a way the fact that their customer service is good also worked against them, as they have good support forums which were flooded with complaints by the bitter bandwidth hogging geeks. (no offence, obv.) They're still a fairly small local operation but they've expanded a hell of a lot in the past couple of years because they are so popular, and maybe overstretched themselves a bit so can't always keep up with demand.

I use them and have never had any problems, other than a slight slow down for a week with all the LLU malarkey which wasn't their fault anyway. And I like the fact that they have the message boards where you can find out if there are any current issues being looked at, or get help from other users as well as the experts. And you can phone them up and see the actual office you're talking to on webcam. If you're a heavy user you're probably better going somewhere else, but for the average surfer I'd say they're pretty good value.

Guest onlynik
bitter bandwidth hogging geeks. (no offence, obv.)

Unfortunately the threshold was 15 gig thats not really alot, and it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the T&Cs or FUP, which was my point. I used them a few years ago and they were great, however, they have gone seriously downhill ( deleting user emails, then later in the month deleting customer info and tehn a major outage in August with no internet access) anyway they are likely to be bought by BT soon.

I've heard from many people that Pipex is good, (even though they own Nildram and F2S)

I've been with bt since adsl was launched, in the early days there were a few problems now and again but in the past 3 years or so the service has been great, it costs a bit more but you can cain it at full speed 24/7 and they don't give a shit. As far as tech support goes, you should only be calling up your ISP if there is a service outage, which in this day and age is rare. Anyone who can't get their head around the basics deserves to be charged through the eyeballs for advice.

Guest onlynik
I've been with bt since adsl was launched, in the early days there were a few problems now and again but in the past 3 years or so the service has been great, it costs a bit more but you can cain it at full speed 24/7 and they don't give a shit. As far as tech support goes, you should only be calling up your ISP if there is a service outage, which in this day and age is rare. Anyone who can't get their head around the basics deserves to be charged through the eyeballs for advice.

Really I called tech support when the speed dropped from 750 Kb/s to 50 Kb/s, not really an outage now is it, its also something I can't fix myself

With regards to the Plusnet packet shaping thing, I'm with Force9 (A Plusnet subsidiary) and it took me about 4 weeks of phone calls with them to solve a VoIP packet shaping probelm, they did get it solved eventualy but they were by no means quick about it.

On the flip side tho, if you go for their premium package you do get a shed load of webspace (250 MB) and a shell account, which noone else seems to be doing these days.

Guest onlynik
The average user is not a fucking packet watching nerd.

No, but the average user does notice when there connection is slow, anyone with the slightest comprehention of time would notice something 15 times slower.

I'm with Pipex and have never had a problem with them. Not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive either. My only mild annoyance with them just now is that they are not currently offering their existing customers an upgrade to 8Mb broadband but yet new customers can get it no problem. Hopefully this will change over time.

I'm with Pipex and have never had a problem with them. Not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive either. My only mild annoyance with them just now is that they are not currently offering their existing customers an upgrade to 8Mb broadband but yet new customers can get it no problem. Hopefully this will change over time.

Until recently I'd have recommended Pipex too, but since I moved six months ago they haven't once billed me correctly - I set up a Direct Debit initially, which didn't work so I paid arrears by card, set up a new Direct Debit. Which didn't work.

Long story short, last month they took four Direct Debit payments from me and had five seperate Direct Debit mandates set up on my account - They've overcharged me from three Direct Debits, totalling over 100 of error. Totally shoddy.

My ex-flat mate also went with Pipex, and they've bollocksed up his charging every month too. So aye, great tech support etc but shockingly poor finance department ruins their reputation in my eyes.

Guest onlynik
After months of stress with tiscali, I've decided to jump ship. Can anybody recommend a reliable ISP? I'm looking for 2mb speed, around 30gb monthly usage and hopefully under 20 a month. At the moment my most likely choice is NewNet (the Home S package). Any ideas folks?

UKFSN.org home max 30

http://ukfsn.org/adsl/maxallowance.html

30 gig peak 300gig off peak up to 8 meg download