aberdeen-music

Worst 50 Artists in Music History

Guest onlynik

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, not far off probably, add the likes of Marillion, Queen, Dido and The Beautiful South and you're just about there.

Although Jester gets extra points for having dave Devant and His Spirit Wife in his car. :up:

I worked it out I have stuff by 10% of that list, though how anyone can say that Rick Wakeman is one of the worst artists is beyond me - I'm not actually a fan of him or Yes' music but the man can play. Tin Machine were underrated and might have been an interesting band had people not had expectation about Bowie, all in all a bunch of people wrting a list and I bet they have never heard most of the people on it.

Tis a good album that DD&HSW album, I also have the very rare second one around somewhere :up:

I do wonder if everyone here saying "I agree" etc have actually heard most of the stuff on there ? Especially as most of it seems to be the standrad 'cool press' copyist stuff, with serious innaccuracies too, The Living Years wasnt written by Micheal Rutherford it was written by Scottish songwriter the great BA Robertson, so is unlikely to be about Rutherfords dad !

Cheers

Stuart

I worked it out I have stuff by 10% of that list, though how anyone can say that Rick Wakeman is one of the worst artists is beyond me - I'm not actually a fan of him or Yes' music but the man can play.

Aye, he can play all right - utter drivel. Self indulgent, flashy rubbish. While wearing a cape and eating a curry.

I don't care if you can play a million notes at the same time and can play notes that never existed before or have ten thousnad synths on stage at once - if the tunes are shit it means nothing.

Evrything about Rick Wakeman's music is shit and he fully deserves to be on the list. I mean, he did a fucking opera on ice about King Arthur or something, didn't he?

He's a scream on Grumpy Old Men, though....................

Aye, he can play all right - utter drivel. Self indulgent, flashy rubbish. While wearing a cape and eating a curry.

I don't care if you can play a million notes at the same time and can play notes that never existed before or have ten thousnad synths on stage at once - if the tunes are shit it means nothing.

Evrything about Rick Wakeman's music is shit and he fully deserves to be on the list. I mean, he did a fucking opera on ice about King Arthur or something, didn't he?

He's a scream on Grumpy Old Men, though....................

Just because the tune means nothing to you doesnt mean it means nothing to other people though, this sort of list is so subjective, there are enough people who still rate what Wakeman does that he sells out gigs throughout the world and still makes more than a good living. Yeah, some of the stuff is self indulgent but the nature of music is to be self indulgent, if it isnt then your in it for the wrong reasons surely.

As I said I wouldnt listen to Wakeman by choice but I know enough people who are phenomenal keyboard players who really rate him as a musician/writer that I think that he has to be respected for what he does. Unlike many musicians he's also great at taking the piss out if himself, he did a great bit on Never mind the buzzcocks a few years ago with Bill Bailey complete in Wizards outfit.

Cheers

Stuart

I like the guy, he's very amusing and I did enjoy his NMTB appearances. He is of a rare breed that can take the piss out of himself. On that note, the man himslef has admitted that some of his musc is shit. I've read it in Q amongst other places.

Lengthy, dual keyboard solos. Please! :up:

Just remembered he was fantastic on This is Your Life too :up:

I do wonder if everyone here saying "I agree" etc have actually heard most of the stuff on there ? Especially as most of it seems to be the standrad 'cool press' copyist stuff, with serious innaccuracies too, The Living Years wasnt written by Micheal Rutherford it was written by Scottish songwriter the great BA Robertson, so is unlikely to be about Rutherfords dad !

Cheers

Stuart

The "great" BA Robertson... Mmm this is the writer of such 80s novetly works as "Cool in the Kaftan", "Knocked it Off" and "Bang Bang". "The Living Years" is cringeworthy lyrically and mediocre musically.

While I probably wouldn't agree with some of it (i.e. I enjoy the Doors at least some of the time), I think that it's a good list because there's something at stake. They didn't just go for easy pickings (like William Shatner, whom's version of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is oft voted the worst recording ever). For instance, Malmsteen is adored by legions of wannabe guitar heroes. The list especially goes after prog rock - I know a lot of people who like prog rock. Some of the bands, while middle-of-the-road, had at least one good (or even great) song. It wouldn't be worth making a list like that if it didn't have anything controversial on it.

The "great" BA Robertson... Mmm this is the writer of such 80s novetly works as "Cool in the Kaftan", "Knocked it Off" and "Bang Bang". "The Living Years" is cringeworthy lyrically and mediocre musically.

Former DJ and lifelong tosspot, BA Knobertson o_O

Did he not get fined for hyping his own records ?

To be fair he has done a bit more than that, Welcome to the official site of ba robertson he's even worked for the Mouse !!!!

"At the 1989 Grammy Awards, "The Living Years" had four nominations, including Song of the Year. BA was pipped for the statuettes by good friend Arif Mardin and "The Wind Beneath My Wings". In London, at The Ivor Novellos, “The Living Years” topped 1990 Grammy winner "Another Day in Paradise" for Best Song."

Fucks sake - imagine listening to those three dirges in the one sitting o_O

To be fair he has done a bit more than that, Welcome to the official site of ba robertson he's even worked for the Mouse !!!!

The Mouse? I just remember him from Saturday Superstore and he seemed a tad odd then. You must admit though, he's hardly in the "great" category of ...anything.

And finallly he wrote some Cliff Richard songs...i rest my case

The Mouse? I just remember him from Saturday Superstore and he seemed a tad odd then. You must admit though, he's hardly in the "great" category of ...anything.

And finallly he wrote some Cliff Richard songs...i rest my case

I was dragged along to see him live in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, not knowing anything about him, and he was really good, tis true he wrote some Cliff songs but 2 of the better Cliff songs :p He also wrote the legendary 'I have a dream'. tbh I was quite surprised at how much he has actually done and the amount of people he's worked with, that being said I didnt buy the album :p

Cheers

Stuart

Carrie and Wired for Sound are great songs. But having read the biog he still sounds like a tosspot.

have you heard cliff's latest attempt to sabotage and terrorise the christmas hit parade '21st century christmas'? ken bruce played it the other day and ken knows what the kids want!

The only saving grace of Ken Bruce being on radio 2 is Pop Master at 10am.

i was on pop master back in 2000 and got tanked by some burger van owner from nottingham. what was even more frustrating was 1) the burger van owner's questions were easier than mine and 2) i would have got the three in ten that day and the burger van owner failed miserably.

on the upside i got a signed photo of ken and a microphone keyring!