aberdeen-music

Worst 50 Artists in Music History

Guest onlynik

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These bands have (or have had) record contracts. The guy who made the website doesn't.

Shite website.

That's right - any band that has a contract MUST be good and, more importantly, above criticism or reproach.

it made me laugh - and it's hard to argue with the choices (apart from Primus, who I love - then again, it IS funny).

EDIT - and Skinny Puppy! then again, they're not exactly beyond parody at times!

Guest bluesxman

Iron Butterfly? Oh come on, In A Gadda Da Vida is a classic! Especially through use in Manhunter....actually I got that album on the basis of that song and the rest is pretty shite.

I'm actually finding Insane Clown Posse at number 1 quite amusing, are they really that well known in comparison to some of the other inclusions?

Iron Butterfly? Oh come on, In A Gadda Da Vida is a classic! Especially through use in Manhunter....actually I got that album on the basis of that song and the rest is pretty shite.

I'm actually finding Insane Clown Posse at number 1 quite amusing, are they really that well known in comparison to some of the other inclusions?

...and who can forget the use of In A Gadda... on The Simpsons?

The one where Bart, working as an alter boy, changes the church set list to read "In the Garden Of Eden" and the old dear on the organ collapses over the keyboard after the 26-minute solo! Classic.

Rev Lovejoy's comment - "Wait a minute...that sounds like Rock and/or Roll"

pretty surprised the doors are on there. wouldn't really argue with any of the other choices though

A strange one.

Sometimes I listen to The Doors and think "Genius", other time they sound like self indulgent claptrap, fronted by basically a crooner, working in the rock milieu (source : Rip Taylor!)

Guest DustyDeviada

Yep, was just going to post this and the Simpsons thing until I saw you guys had beaten me to it.

Did you know that Ringo Starr admitted that his ace drum solo at the end of Abbey Road was ripped off from In A Gadda Da Vida.

To be honest, apart from Iron Butterfly and The Doors, it's pretty hard to argue with most of that list, and it's very well written.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
These bands have (or have had) record contracts. The guy who made the website doesn't.

Shite website.

Nothing is a higher gauge of the quality of a band than the fact that they have a record contract. All time greats such as Mr Blobby, The Cheeky Girls, Daphne & Celeste being prime examples.

Guest bluesxman
...and who can forget the use of In A Gadda... on The Simpsons?

The one where Bart, working as an alter boy, changes the church set list to read "In the Garden Of Eden" and the old dear on the organ collapses over the keyboard after the 26-minute solo! Classic.

Rev Lovejoy's comment - "Wait a minute...that sounds like Rock and/or Roll"

That's right, I forgot about that, I near pissed myself when I saw that! Amazing.

Guest bluesxman

I got into the The Doors in my late teens, thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. As time has passed I find the more 'mystical' and 'poetry' orientated material totally cringeworthy but the straight ahead rock/bluesy stuff is still pretty good.

Some of the entries are quite bizarre, i.e. Primus - I've never listened to them much but surely there are worse bands than that? At the end of the day it's obviously one man's gripe list.

I may try and make my own top 50 if I get bored enough today.

there are quite a number of acts on that list who i love and i own too many of the albums on there (arrested development, spin doctors, primus, jamiroquai, the doors, whitesnake, etc.) BUT i thought it was funny as fuck. some of the taglines are brilliant. particular highlights included:

RICK WAKEMAN - Can play two synthesizers at once but nothing that people want to hear

and

YNGWIE MALMSTEEN - Big on solos, short on songs

banter!!

/x

I don't think many of those acts are really the worst artists in music history. With the exception of Michael Bolton.

I mean there's some fucking atrocious acts out there from the last 20 years that really are 4 or 5 grades of hell below the majority of that list and they don't get a look in.

Guest onlynik
Nothing is a higher gauge of the quality of a band than the fact that they have a record contract. All time greats such as Mr Blobby, The Cheeky Girls, Daphne & Celeste being prime examples.

However none of these are mentioned in the list

Guest DustyDeviada
At the end of the day it's obviously one man's gripe list.

By John Aizlewood, Clark Collis, J.D. Considine, John Harris, Howard Johnson, Rob Kemp, Daniel Krauss, Mat Snow and Jonah Weiner

Ahem... ;)

I don't think many of those acts are really the worst artists in music history. With the exception of Michael Bolton.

I mean there's some fucking atrocious acts out there from the last 20 years that really are 4 or 5 grades of hell below the majority of that list and they don't get a look in.

I think there's a strong distinction between "act" and "artist" - which is why The Cheekies, 5ive (worst ever?) and all that chart/X-Factor PISH is conspicuous by it's absence.

Having said that, quite a few on the names on that list are clearly "acts" (e.g. Dion, Bolton)

Guest DustyDeviada
It is a list of Jester's record collection!!!!

Ha, not far off probably, add the likes of Marillion, Queen, Dido and The Beautiful South and you're just about there.

Although Jester gets extra points for having dave Devant and His Spirit Wife in his car. :up: