aberdeen-music

Son Henry at Drummonds

GraemeC

I would never grudge anyone a bit of talent, I may get a touch jealous, but hey were all guilty of that from time to time, but this Son Henry guy is surely taking the piss.

His lap steel playing is just incredible, his regular guitar playing is bloody amazing, his slide playing is awesome he plays great harmonica and he has a fantastic blues voice....whats the bets the son of a bitch can play banjo, mandolin and the frickin trombone as well...

And when he does it all with a huge amount of humour and a genuine love for every note he plays and word he sings its even more irritating, I hate this man soooo much.

His set tonight, which was extensive and which i irritatingly had to miss the end of, was a great mix of his own songs interspersed with old classics most of which had been treated to the Son Henry magic and were funked up in some way or another, not that this appeared to detract from the original composition in any way.

But this is no one man band, far from it, the left handed strat wielding second guitarist is something special in his own right and Son gives him every opportunity to shine, and shine he does.

The rhythm section are a true blues powerhouse driving the whole thing along and picking up on every hint or signal that Son is heading off on one of his regular jaunts down Jam Avenue, they never miss a tempo change and their endings were always as tight as the proverbial ducks arse, I was also pleased to see the bass player has reverted to 4 strings for Son Henry duties, and a very nice Jazz bass it was too.....just like mine in fact.

Superb gig, well recommended for anyone who's tastes extend beyond heavy metal and in fact anyones who's doesnt...

G...

Thanks for the positive feedback GreameC (I'm the strat-wielding lefty btw...) Son's playing is pretty spectacular, whichever instrument he's playing (and he plays quiter a few!)

Our next gigs are: Blue Lamp, this Saturday, and Drummonds on the 21st. Hope to see you there!

i'm interested to hear this actually.

whats the details for saturday?

its also an excuse to go to the blue lamp, since ive never been in yet :)

Thanks for the positive feedback GreameC (I'm the strat-wielding lefty btw...) Son's playing is pretty spectacular, whichever instrument he's playing (and he plays quiter a few!)

Our next gigs are: Blue Lamp, this Saturday, and Drummonds on the 21st. Hope to see you there!

I would love to come down on Saturday but I have a severe aversion to paying door tax for a pub gig....I am an Aberdonian after all.......o_O

• 2 weeks later...