aberdeen-music

Demanding films?

Paulscoconutass

Although most films are fun, there’s nothing quite like a brilliant one that really makes you think. Along the lines of Donnie Darko, Memento, Pi and all that, where more often than not a second / thrid / fourth viewing really helps your understanding.

Does anybody have any recommendations along these lines?

I watched ‘Primer’ tonight and it absolutely blew me away! It’s so clever & engrossing, it's also probably one of the best low budget film ever made ($7,000 approx). Focuses on a group of entrepreneurial scientist / engineers, two of which accidentally create a machine that can put them back in time by up to a couple of days. It then explores themes like consequences and fate. There are twists, surprises and you can’t afford to miss a second of it, (best of all) it’s not spelt out for you.

Definately going to give it a few more viewings in the next week or so, not just to understand it more, but because it's that damn good.

241221.1020.A.jpg

For me, you can look at Blade Runner in two different ways - a sci-fi action thriller, or a deeply-interesting sci-fi action thriller. The list of its contents is massive - deep theory, heavy influences from philosophy, other works that present a dystopian future (i.e. Fritz Lang's Metropolis, 1984), the themes regarding what exactly makes us human and what morality is, and just the whole cyberpunk thing which I love.

Sorry, that may not make much sense, but it has to be my favourite movie ever. Anyone who hasn't seen it must watch this essential piece of viewing, and anyone who has seen it, watch it again and do a bit of reading on it. What you will find out about it is very interesting stuff.

The final cut will be released next year in theatres, so I cannot wait for the big screen experience.

Waking Life - Richard Linklater (Scanner Darkly & Dazed & Confused)

Only 5 in Fopp at the moment.

A film about a guy in a dream who meets a series of different people that tell them their opinions on the universe, dreaming, the meaning of life, films, death... It's amazing to watch because it's done a-la Scanner Darkly so it looks the part, and has hundreds of tiny alterations as the characters speak. It's one of those films you can just watch in awe or genuinely think of what they're talking about, well worth a fiver!

B00007LZ6Q.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

david lynch films are fucking nonsense. they're only worth watching in case there's some bird playing with herself.

/x

That's pish wee man, there's never any sex or self-friggery in any of Lynch's movies...except maybe Wild at Heart, Mulholland Drive, Fire Walk With Me, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Lost Highway...but there was definitely nae pumpin' in the Elephant Man.

I rest my case.

A GREAT movie, if you can get a hold of it is "The Ninth Configuration" (1980) a real existential piece set in a US military asylum.

It's written and directed by the author of Exorcist (Peter William Blatty) and you'd likely recognise a plethora of top American character actors.

Full of quotable dialogue and a HUGE twist in the tale.

The opening scene with the astronaut is a jaw-dropper.

Might see if I can find it meself :up:

eBay here we come :up:

Has anyone seen "Brotherhood of the Wolf"? It's a french action movie and it has some great stuff in it. I'm not dismissing an interesting plot when I say it's not entirely thought-provoking, but the fight scenes are just totally........... I'm gonna say it................................... AWESOME!

Mark Dacascos and Samuel Le Bihan make an awesome team with nice gritty fighting from the latter and impressive kung-fu from Dacascos (one time American and European karate champion, or something).

See this movie, it's cool.

Has anyone seen "Brotherhood of the Wolf"? It's a french action movie and it has some great stuff in it. I'm not dismissing an interesting plot when I say it's not entirely thought-provoking, but the fight scenes are just totally........... I'm gonna say it................................... AWESOME!

Great movie - I wimped out a bit and watched the dubbed version. The voiceovers are naff, but it's still a great movie.

Nil by Mouth.

its not entertainment. To use some dodgy cliches its hard hitting, gritty reality.

Watch it. Enjoy the acting/script but you can't enjoy the film.

pete

inthehills

Aye, Ray Winstone is unbelieveably good in it and there's a great part for Laila Morse (Director Gary Oldman's sister) who Eastenders fans will recognise as "Big Mo".

Like you say, it's hard work - but there's some fantastic dialogue.