aberdeen-music

Question about doorstaff - bouncers

Guest Neutral

Guest Neutral
I think they should take more respponsibility for fights that occur on the doorstep of the club they are bouncing rather than standing back. They are trained to deal with these scenarios and should take more responsiblity in stopping them. It's like a fireman not putting a fire.

Its a criminality thing, certain situations such as head stamping can easily see us involved

random punchups - nope, too much to lose

Its a criminality thing, certain situations such as head stamping can easily see us involved

random punchups - nope, too much to lose

I didn't know that.

So if it's just fistycuffs at 10 paces they will stand-back as it's not worth it, but in the event of serious damage they will intervene?

Guest onlynik
I didn't know that.

So if it's just fistycuffs at 10 paces they will stand-back as it's not worth it, but in the event of serious damage they will intervene?

Because no-one's ever died from just being punched. Many bouncers have a God complex and like exerting this on people they see, I guess in an alpha male sorta way. I've also seen bouncers stand back when there are serious fights going on, both inside and outside clubs. There are some good apples, but i reckon the bad far outway this, i've not even touched on the laziness aspect yet.

Guest Neutral
I didn't know that.

yes, i have helped stop a guy who decided to beat up and kick an old homeless guy in the head

yes i have seen 2 people fighting right outside the door and not done anything except notify cctv

When you are out how do you think they act?

What would you like to see changed?

What do you think is an appropriate dress?

Any other observations greatly appreciated

can't understand why you are asking this on an open forum, why don't you ask some of your more experienced colleagues (i'm assuming that you are fairly new) each venue attracts it's on own clientele so dress codes will vary according to the managers wishes, just be confident and firm when you make a decision and treat the punter the way you would like to be treated and you will not go to far wrong

most of the bouncers at music venue's i goto are alright, there are some really cool ones at moshulu who are always up for a laugh, aswell as doing their jobs, but there is one there that is a total dick.

thee was one guy at drummonds pissed me off, twice he has refused to let me into one of my own nights because it was "over 18's only" (which was a load of shit anyway)

most of the bouncers at music venue's i goto are alright, there are some really cool ones at moshulu who are always up for a laugh, aswell as doing their jobs, but there is one there that is a total dick.

thee was one guy at drummonds pissed me off, twice he has refused to let me into one of my own nights because it was "over 18's only" (which was a load of shit anyway)

that happens a lot it seems. when we played i fly spitfires there recently the bouncers kept refusing entry on the grounds it was over 18's only despite it being over 14's. the i fly spitfires guys kept having to go up and remind the bouncers of this. it ended up a pretty quiet gig as well, wonder how busy it would've been if they'd done their job properly. on the other hand i've never personally had a problem with bouncers there and have found them to be fine to deal with.

unlike exodus. i'm not boycotting them but i do think twice about going back after an incident there at the start of the summer, that was just one bouncer though.

the tunnels bouncers are extremely good. i bashed one of them with a door on friday and hurt his hand but he was very cool about it. always find them friendly and helpful.

most bouncers i've met are good at their job it has to be said.

Guest Neutral
can't understand why you are asking this on an open forum, why don't you ask some of your more experienced colleagues

Because what we see and customers see is different... thus the thread

i agree, the doorstaff at the priory are very friendly.

the doorstaff at espionage can be affa heavy handed though. i've witnessed them doing some not so kosher things e.g kicking a guy out for being drunk, then when he got outside the 2 of them put him on the ground and held him face down to the pavement. they then asked him if he wanted a drink to which he replied he wanted some water, and they just laughed and told him to drink out of the fucking puddle.

i would have been more horrified if the guy wasn't a racist arse who probably deserved it.