aberdeen-music

New sayings that are annoying

Hog

"awesome", especially when said in an American accent or when used in this phrase: "like totally awesome".

"procrastinating". When I came to University everyone seemed to like using this word every second sentence, maybe they thought it made them sound more 'intellectual'. Who knows, either way its annoying.

"y'all". I can't stand this arrangement of letters, I don't think it should even be called a word...I know I can't ever bring myself to actually say it. It's repulsive :puke: .

Most words used to refer to females: "bird", "chick", "doll", "babe", "honey"

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"procrastinating". When I came to University everyone seemed to like using this word every second sentence, maybe they thought it made them sound more 'intellectual'. Who knows, either way its annoying.

Yeah, same here... I don't know why it annoys me so much, seeing as everyone else adopted it like it was their own new born calf. And joined ten procrastination groups on facebook. Meh.. nightmare.

People on myspace and otherwise who say "leave me some love"..... Transalted to "comment on a picture of mine, please, i am desperate". These people are really annoying. Infact, most people on myspace are really annoying, but I use it anyway.

Why fix a problem when it is much more fun to moan about it?

'Gutted' was overused but is generally quite a good term.

'proctrastinating' is plainly annoying and overused in the wrong context, for no reason.

I know it's not a word but I want to moan about it anyhow. Why do people feel the need to do American ghetto style handshakes? I really confused Austrian people on holiday by shaking their hands, the British way, it was great.

Incorrect useage of 'ironic' and 'ignorant', also annoys me.

'oh my god' is also usually a pointless phrase, largely used as a result of popular American culture. If you want to display your shock at something why not just say 'gee whiz'?

I can see both kind side of the equation in the above post.

The gratuitous use of Awesome is grating in the extreme, but it is a good word when used in context.

What concerns me is the Americanisation of our culture, and the fact that it's all the really cheesy elements that we are taking on - the use of "Awesome", as described, above being a prime example.

What's happening to all our wonderful, descriptive and totally unique Scottish words?

• Pish - best. word. ever.
  • Shite - 2nd best
  • Stoatin'
  • Scunner
  • Boufin'
  • Gantin'
  • Brammar
  • Braw
  • Muckle
  • Skelp
  • Haunners - did anyone ever shout for "haunners" during a street fight?
  • Mingin' - ripped of by the English and turned into "Minger". Cunts.

'moan tae fuck folks, gie's some mair braw Scoattish words the noo!

What's happening to all our wonderful, descriptive and totally unique Scottish words?

• Pish - best. word. ever.
  • Shite - 2nd best
  • Stoatin'
  • Scunner
  • Boufin'
  • Gantin'
  • Brammar
  • Braw
  • Muckle
  • Skelp
  • Haunners - did anyone ever shout for "haunners" during a street fight?
  • Mingin' - ripped of by the English and turned into "Minger". Cunts.

'moan tae fuck folks, gie's some mair braw Scoattish words the noo!

Stairheid rammy

teuch

keech

stobe

crabbit

poke (as in a poke o' chips)

skelf (nice wee word for splinter)

and as it's the Festive Season I could murder a wee DRAM

I went downstairs to buy a sandwich from the guy that goes round the office buildings in his van - he also sells pies. He wasn't there yet, so I waited. The lift next to me pinged, the door opened and a large woman tottered out. Seeing the absence of the pie man, her flabby pallid face fell and her flat voice rang out in a manly monotone, "Nightmare." She got back into the lift and sailed back upwards to her floor.

I went downstairs to buy a sandwich from the guy that goes round the office buildings in his van - he also sells pies. He wasn't there yet, so I waited. The lift next to me pinged, the door opened and a large woman tottered out. Seeing the absence of the pie man, her flabby pallid face fell and her flat voice ran out in a manly monotone, "Nightmare." She got back into the lift and sailed back upwards to her floor.

Yeah, but not getting her hourly dose of lard would have been a "nightmare" for the big sow.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
...or as the minkier element say..."him"

Must have evolved then, it used to be "ma lad", said in a dull Doric monotone. The thought of someone like that talking dirty always amuses me:

"Aye ma lad, c'moan! Gee's it, gee's it now, my chat's dyin' foar it."

Guest Jake Wifebeater
"Chat"!:laughing: :laughing:

Honestly, Baldy. A friend of mine (RIP) used to know some pretty dodgy lasses. One day we were walking along Union Street and one of them stopped, scratched herself in the "ladygarden" area and said out loud "Fuck sake min, itchy chat". She was rough as ratshit.

"Well that's it, isn't it"

I used to have dreadfully dull conversation with a manager at work and every xonversation we had was awkward. I remember on one occassion i decided to bring up the bad weather we were having on that particular day. "Well that's it, isn't it?"

Guh.

"Nightmare" - If she hadn't of said "well thats it, isnt it?" to my previous statement she would have simply said "Nightmare". . .