aberdeen-music

New sayings that are annoying

Hog

The word 'Guesstimate'

EEEESH!

Just had another one just now.

Sales Manager of quite an imporatnt vendor: Morning Steve. How's your diary fixed for this week?

Me: I've got a slot available on Thursday afternoon.

What I felt like saying was 'The binding of my diary is intact and doesn't require to be repaired.' But if I said that the sarcasm would have been lost as the man in question has no concept of it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loathe that one. Really grates on my nerves too.

I must confess my guilt using this one. I even say it at work but as an alternative to admitting any mistakes

Even the use of 'like' used as punctuation in speach makes me want to rip the offendor's tongue out and bitch-slap them with it.

Two of my hated phrases/sayings are:

To die for - the only time I've tolerated this on is when it was used as a title for a Nicole Kidman film

It/they are so more-ish - Just stop! Say 'fine' or 'nice' as an acceptable alternative. Saying that something is 'more-ish' implies that the perpetrator cannot exercise any self-control and is quite content to stuff their fat fucking face with fine delicacies.

Moreish isn't a new expression, according to the OED its first use in print is in JOnathan Swift in 1738. It means something totally different to nice.

Lets all moan at the flexibility of the English language

This thread isn't about the flexibility or the inflexibility of the English language. It's about sayings or colloquialisms that people find annoying and loathsome.

Slang is acceptable in almost every occasion, but for something as twee and insipid to be said, that has neither significance nor relevance to the sensibilities of the more articulate, enrages us.

Moreish isn't a new expression, according to the OED its first use in print is in JOnathan Swift in 1738. It means something totally different to nice.

moreish

morish

adj

(Eng)

1. colloq

Said especially of a food: so tasty, delicious, etc that one wants to keep eating more of it.

Etymology: 18c.

Still amounts to nice in my estimation:up:

moreish

morish

adj

(Eng)

1. colloq

Said especially of a food: so tasty, delicious, etc that one wants to keep eating more of it.

Etymology: 18c.

Still amounts to nice in my estimation:up:

Something tyhat is moreish is also nice, but nice and moreish don't mean the same thing. Snow is cold but cold is not an acceptable alternative word for snow.

Well you can have a nice day but you can't have a moreish one can you. M<oreish means something very specific. Jaffa cakes can be moreish, cocaine is moreish, ice cream less so. When yo've finished a cornet you rarely want another.

I still maintain that moreish gets on my tits no matter how fanciful it's put or defined. As I said earlier:

Saying that something is 'more-ish' implies that the perpetrator cannot exercise any self-control and is quite content to stuff their fat fucking face with fine delicacies.

I'm guilty of using the word, "like" too much. I find that I'm worse for it when typing rather than in actual speach.

I've become bad for using the phrase, "mate" too much now - something that I, myself find irritating when used in slang. It's bled out from an in-joke that I have with my boyfriend and some friends. I've found myself uttering the phrase, "alright, m'mate" and, "c'mon, mate" with regularity. *hangs head*.

I'm in the exact same boat as you there, and I feel like a right tit sometimes for it!

I also say "here" before everything but normally when i'm annoyed.

example

Here....shut your fucking face

Guest DustyDeviada
I remember being given into trouble about 15 years ago for saying like after every sentence, hardly new, like.

I think there's a difference between the "Aberdeen" way of using "like" eg "Yon boy wis a right bam, like." and the, like, totally Valley Girl, way of, like, speaking that's now so prevalent, you know?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
"and I was so like...."- Used by teenagers, why do they have to overuse the word "like"?

The full version:

"So, I was, like 'You gonna trap my mate?' And he was, like, 'Nuh', and I was, like, 'Oh my God!' Overheard that verbatim on the bus about 6 months ago, still raises a smile.

Anyone who uses the word "brunch" deserves a slow and painful death.

Other hates:

"It's got to the stage where............"

"Moreish", good call on that one.

And I also hate it when people point out how drunk you were last night. Yeah, that was the idea, you mug.

Wow, you guys would hate me *he too hangs his head*. I definitely use mate and banter too much (but not completely nonsensical use of banter where it acts as a sentance on its own).

I do know a girl who says "lol". How annoying (am I allowed peeving?) is that?

Your banter certainly isn't more-ish like! Lol! How peeving.

I get this, mainly in work related e-mails:

"Further to our telecon...."

ewwwww

Guest onlynik
I use this alot, as it is much better at describing my signifacnt other than just a girlfriend, and I won't call us poor people or from bad stock.

But why not just call her "your girlfriend"? It is like a new status. Friend, Girlfriend, Partner, Wife.

Yep its a new satus, its more than just a girlfeind, but we're not married yet, so to give her an elavation in status.