aberdeen-music

awesome gig 4 decipher!!!

ousydecipher

Good for you for doing so well, but I can't believe you're trying to say you've never had any good from this site at all. As I recall, Weapon started from two already pretty well established bands, are you saying that Quik and Point never got any benefit either? Would Quik have even known Point? Would you have ever known Ross? Or what about any other band in Aberdeen? Have we not helped anyone? This site has never ever claimed to be able to guide anyone's path to stardom, in fact it is quite often pointed out on here that you have to do far more than post a few messages. But what about the bands just starting out, asking for advice on playing their first gig, looking for opinions on what pedals to use etc etc? You can't do that on Myspace. But they're not mutually exclusive. This site is hopefully a good resource, one of many available. What this place should be is 'people in bands helping people to be in bands'. We don't need anyone coming on purely to express the frankly sneering attitude that they no longer need this help. You should be here showing people what they should be doing, not laughing because they're not.

Now. About that pint...

Err...The bit you havent quoted me on kinda addresses what you have said in your reply.

I wasn't sneering. I'm allowed my opinion on what it means to me and im also entitled to express that as I see fit to who I like. I also said that the site was better some time ago. Your post was kind of redundant, but hey, it was your opinion so...peace. :)

Err...The bit you havent quoted me on kinda addresses what you have said in your reply.

I wasn't sneering. I'm allowed my opinion on what it means to me and im also entitled to express that as I see fit to who I like. I also said that the site was better some time ago. Your post was kind of redundant, but hey, it was your opinion so...peace. :)

Aye, I started my post right after you initially posted, but before you added the backtracking edit. :p

Typical of two drummers to fuck up the timing...

I think you get out what you put in, these days you put shit in so you get shit out. Fair enough, that's up to you and obviously MMW feel they don't need this site anymore. You all seem to have a fairly low opinion of it anyway.

I seem to remember you thought the site was pretty useful when MMW were starting out though, both for recruiting band members and getting the name out there.

Not saying the site will make or break a band, that's obviously nonsense, but hopefully bands can use this site as a bit more than "light entertainment". It's a resource, one of many that can be used alongside myspace etc to get a local profile for a band. Would MMW be where they are now if they hadn't built up a decent local profile first?

To be honest I agree with some of that, and I don't agree with some of that.

But I think the 'scene' whether it be an internet one or a people-who-actually-go-to-gigs one, was very different a few years ago.

You get out of it what you put in - totally agreed. But if not many others put anything of worth in either, then it becomes a place where there is little of decent interest, and consequently people resort to being idiots to pass time/be involved with the site. [see many of Ben's - and even my - contributions over the last year or so.]

Agree or disagree with the above, I'm not gonna change my opinion on it. I used to be able to spend an entire day on ab-music.com - now I get bored after ten minutes, or less. and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with MMW's "profile".

Good for you for doing so well, but I can't believe you're trying to say you've never had any good from this site at all. As I recall, Weapon started from two already pretty well established bands, are you saying that Quik and Point never got any.........etc etc...........You should be here showing people what they should be doing, not laughing because they're not.

That would have been an extremely valid point, had Ben been completely slagging this site's existance and his roots on it. But as far as I'm aware it's the activity on this site these days (rather than it always being just 'light entertainment') that he has a problem with. As you've both sorted it out though...my two pence isn't really required!

To be fair Munky...Ousy has hardly put his brain in gear before speaking. Don't worry. This Website will have VERY little if any bearing on the way your band develops musically and with a fanbase, especially if you work your myspace right.

If you want my advice, which you have asked for in person before when we had a chance meeting, use this site as light entertainment, nothing else.

Thats my t'uppenceworth. Take heed or not.

to be fair my ass................

point out exactly what i have said in this thread that dont make sense,as i fail to see what i said that you think that!

also my sense of humor probably doesn't come across in writing as its ment too but i dont give fat f#@k

bring it on punx!

I'm sure i'm feeling the onset of some sort of brain haemorraghe from reading this thread.

This site is less about music these days than it used to be and more about one-upmanship and provoking a reaction out of people than it used to be. Anyway i've said what i'd like out of this site on many occassions on here, so i'm not going into it again.

The gist (or is it jist?) of this thread is that if you like your bands to lay waste to 12 other bands worth of arse flesh, whilst wearing Diadora tanktops, then go see Decipher.

if you wanna see some awesome punk music go see decipher,its nice that ppl judge bands without seeing them.

and now not only is this thread not about music its also about what not to wear?

wtf?

• 1 month later...

dont mean to wake a dead thread but the corpse is still warm so here goes:

if you wanna see some awesome punk music go see decipher,its nice that ppl judge bands without seeing them.

i was working on the bar at the tunnles a couple of weeks past or so, i'll start by saying it wasnt "awsome punk music" - it was really fucking dull: really competitive. nae my cup of tea - i like to see some variety in a bands set...you lacked a certain panache - was just like seeing an extreamly unenergetic blink 182 set/gig from 7/8 years ago...maybe longer ago....dull..... the over cockyness online is no different on stage - i thought it was a joke at first (maybe it still is) but it got really old really quick...there aint anything wrong with being cocky its just that it makes u sound like a dick and i dont really wanna speak/listen to you!

i suppose a good thing i took from your set was you were really tight as a band - alot of people like that but personaly if you are 100% tight 'AS FUCK LOLZ11!' it ends the idea of freedom of playing and improvisation. i still managed to make that sound negative...

i'd prob rate you as the 10th worst band* ive seen between 17th January 2006 - 17th January 2007.

*rough approximation