aberdeen-music

Local man in local paper shocker!

Kai

Those of you read my weblog The Trash Whore Diaries from time to time, may be amused - or possibly bemused - to see that it's been featured in today's Press & Journal. (p27) The story can also be found on the P&J website here (The weblog extracts aren't shown on their website; they're only published in the printed edition of the paper.)

They even published a few extracts from it; must be the first time the phrase 'rocking horse diarrhoea' has ever made into the Press & Journal.

I know you said you don't want to be a 'campaigner', but do you have any plans to take this further at all? I really think you have a great opportunity to do some major good here.

Although I honestly believe that my two cents on penal reform would be more erudite and practicable than anything spouted by MPs, prison officers et al, I've no desire to become the Mary Whitehouse of the prison system. I'll leave that to the Jeffrey Archers and Lord Watsons of this world.

Although I honestly believe that my two cents on penal reform would be more erudite and practicable than anything spouted by MPs, prison officers et al, I've no desire to become the Mary Whitehouse of the prison system. I'll leave that to the Jeffrey Archers and Lord Watsons of this world.

Fair enough. Would be good if the baton could be passed to someone with more of a clue than the P&J though. I'm sure you've got plenty of ammunition to donate to someone with their sights set in the right direction. Knowledge is power, and all that.

Quality.

Although my own views on prison are vague, I doubt prisoners need any more leeway than they get - apart from the used syringe issue which is one that needs addressed more than Junkies being payed for kicking the habbit and all other perks that prison life seems to be getting these days.

I personally don't think instituitions like prisons, schools, churchs etc etc work - as Human nature outgrows it. When prison life started I'm sure it woulda came as a shock to would-be criminals, but now it seems to be apart of lifes CV and those imcriminated don't seem to learn from it. And as seen with the blog - liberties are taken and it's made into form of 'art' (?) where people become disillusioned with what prison should be. I read the blog and thought it gave us great insight into our current prison system, but it barely scrathes the surface of what lies underneath the sugar coated Justice system. And quite frankly, there was nothing I didn't read (apart from the dude lawnmowing a baby seagull - lol) that I have read in books that campaign for the better treatment of prisoners.

There is a simple resolution to prison - and avoiding it - a resolution so easy it doesn't need mentioning. The only thing is that Human nature has outgrown what the law is, maybe harsher punishments are needed to stop the rot rather than repairing the rotten.

Prison is not the problem - Society is.

I saw an article in the news of the World on Sunday too.... Was it not you? :)

It was either me or someone who looked uncannily like me.

If anyone's interested, my 15 minutes of fame will continue this evening when a brief interview and Trash Whore Diaries feature is broadcast on North Tonight (ITV, 6pm.) It'll basically just be me speaking a little bit about the Scottish prison system (nothing you haven't heard before) and probably some moody close-ups of me typing away on my laptop. And before anyone says it, yes, I am quite the media whore these days.