aberdeen-music

5 best guitarists ever?

ChildofBodom

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spikefae20dj

John Petrucci, (This one is my fave by a long shot, i'v seen a video of Petrucci playing with Satriani and Vai, they were both outplayed but still f*cking awesome)

Paul Gilbert,

Steve Vai,

Joe Satriani,

yngwie malmsteen

:headbang:

I think "what's your 5 favourite guitarists" would have been a better title, I can see a massive slagging match on the brink here haha. My faves:

Marty Friedman (ex - Megadeth) - His phrasing is very tasteful

Mick Mars (Motley Crue) - Straight up Rock N' Roll prestige

Angus Young (AC/DC) - Legend, low tech, yet amazing!

Slash (ex - Guns N' Roses / Velvet Revolver) - See Mick Mars

Keith Nelson (BuckCherry) - Riff machine

Edit: OMFG I can't believe I forgot about one of my very favourite players, Angus Young!!!! So Tracii Guns will be moved out of the top 5 (he'd make my top 10 though) and duely replaced by the boy Angus!

That's some insane playing, but who would actually want to listen to that?

That video is just ridiculous. It does nothing for me as a guitarist. Fair enough, the guy knows his modes and scales, but in the grand scheme of things that means nothing if it can't be applied to songwriting. But i guess it's just a 'horses for courses' situation.

i would, lot of musician also.. although its not popular musica, so it wasnt everyones bag. shame that he died in 2003. its not all like that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uv_aQherlk&mode=related&search=

Yeah that one was better. Still a bit weedly weedly for my tastes, but not bad. The only intrumental Guitar music I really dig is Marty Friedman's solo stuff. The man has a gift. You heard much?

Guest Gregor Ascension
That video is just ridiculous. It does nothing for me as a guitarist. Fair enough, the guy knows his modes and scales, but in the grand scheme of things that means nothing if it can't be applied to songwriting. But i guess it's just a 'horses for courses' situation.

thats fair enough, but check out the other link i put up before pigeonholing the guy.

Guest Gregor Ascension
Yeah that one was better. Still a bit weedly weedly for my tastes, but not bad. The only intrumental Guitar music I really dig is Marty Friedman's solo stuff. The man has a gift. You heard much?

pretty much all of it.. i love freidman. not as much as becker but he is an amzing guitarist. totaly agree with you about his phrasing. id much rather listen to his work than the shred stuff.

pretty much all of it.. i love freidman. not as much as becker but he is an amzing guitarist. totaly agree with you about his phrasing. id much rather listen to his work than the shred stuff.

Nah. Becker had the edge technically (just), but Friedman is more original and as I've said his phrasing is more unique. I do like Becker though, real shame about him developing ALS so young.

P.S. Wanna buy my Perpetual Burn CD? haha (or is that a stupid Q, as you prolly have it already)

Guest Gregor Ascension
Nah. Becker had the edge technically (just), but Friedman is more original and as I've said his phrasing is more unique. I do like Becker though, real shame about him developing ALS so young.

P.S. Wanna buy my Perpetual Burn CD? haha (or is that a stupid Q, as you prolly have it already)

lol, already have it! becker was a bit better technicaly, but his composition skills are always overlooked. thats why i prefer him.

lol, already have it! becker was a bit better technicaly, but his composition skills are always overlooked. thats why i prefer him.

See I don't agree? I much prefer Dragon's Kiss to Perpetual Burn. And his later compositions like Perspective, which although are fantastic, I still think Marty one-ups him again with Scenes and Introduction.

Guest Gregor Ascension
See I don't agree? I much prefer Dragon's Kiss to Perpetual Burn. And his later compositions like Perspective, which although are fantastic, I still think Marty one-ups him again with Scenes and Introduction.

fair point. but becker is still composing great music today, despite his condition. i would say i like friedmans use of scales better though, there are very few guitarists who play like him, so id say friedman was more unique. as far as technical guitar playing though, becker was more innovative. there isnt 1 'shred' guitarist today that hasnt learned from beckers playing.