aberdeen-music

Leonard Cohen

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

I don't care what the NME says, is there anyone on the planet cooler than Leonard Cohen?

Check this clip out, my favourite Cohen song, and only he can make a Casio Portasound sound great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahUMC2gS6Nw

The early stuff, Suzanne etc, was great, but I probably prefer all the 80s stuff, Tower of Song, The Future, I'm Your Man, just brilliant.

And I personally prefer the original of Hallelujah. ;)

He is one of my favourites all right. I can't access youtube. What song is it?

Various Positions is my favourite album despite the horrible 80's production on it ("coming back to you" is my favourite sad song ever). Same goes for I'm Your Man. Having got into his early stuff first I heard "First We Take Manhattan" and thought WTF?! The female backing vox "I'd really like to live inside you baby..." could well be accused of being total cheese but somehow it's cool as fuck. He is the man.

Steer clear of "Tower Of Song: Songs of Leonard Cohen" unless you want to hear Sting, Bono, Elton John, Peter Gabriel and Don Henley murdering his songs. Yep, should have read the track listings.......

Guest bluesxman

I got into him after seeing that Pump Up The Volume film where 'Everybody Knows' was featured prominently. I'm Your Man and The Future are both great albums, even if the former has some truly hideous 80's synth stuff on it. Don't listen to much earlier stuff, I prefer his even more grizzled late period vocals. Hallelujah is a great song whether performed by him or Buckley, just different takes...

Guest DustyDeviada

I think the cheesy synth production is so bad it's good, and I also think it's intentional. If you watch the Youtube clip that I posted of Tower of Song you will see that he's playing it on a crappy 80s keyboard, so I think he's doing it deliberately.