aberdeen-music

is it just me..

Guest Gregor Ascension

Guest Gregor Ascension

or is this a bit shameful?

"fund a tour!!!! please!

Hey u guys!! We're celebrating our 10,000 friends mark buy setting up an "fund a tour" campaign, if every one of our friends just donates just 1 to our cause we can buy a bigger bus and have a proper tour getting round to all of the venues you guys wanna see us at up and down the UK and even over in europe and the states!!

please send a 1 coin or a cheque for one pound to:

My mind's weapon

flat 4/2

200 elliot street

Glasgow

G3 8EX

Larger donations will be much appreciated."

Yeah, i don't have a problem with that as such. But they do have an actual merch site so surely they could've put a paypal button on that, or on their myspace. They might actually get more if they do it like that as it would at least look a wee bit more legit.

I've seen plenty of bands do that kind of thing and it usually works. If they get anything at all at least it may contribute toward petrol bills or bits and bobs for touring.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

In the depths of the past, The Lorelei toured regularly, with about a dozen trips down to london. Transport was an ex-council transit minibus which regularly broke down, and which was even thirstier than some of the band, so fuel costs there and back would be at least 200. Add the costs of food onto that and it was lucky that we could make enough from gigs to make it home, let alone eat. More than once we ended up busking or passing the hat round in pubs to try and get enough donations so we could make it back to Aberdeen.

If MMW get enough donations from this to get a decent bus which doesn't break down so regularly that you get on first name terms with the AA man at Dumfries services, then that's magic. If they actually get enough money so that they can afford to tour AND eat properly, and even afford a couple of pints, that's a bonus. Take it from me - touring on a shoestring is shit.

Regards

Flossie

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Scrounging for the 21st century. "Spare any change, mate?"

What happens if they fall short? It'd cost a fortune to post all those quids back.

Before anyone starts any knicker-pissing, I'd say the same about any band who tried this little stunt.

Pipped me at the post they did. I was about to start requesting money to dvelop a fund for a hitman to do away with most of Ziggy's other band so that Staccato set could rehearse and play gigs again. It was either that or all of our friends donate a fiver each so that Andy and me could go for a couple of pints.

:up:

"fund a tour!!!! please!

Hey u guys!! We're celebrating our 10,000 friends mark buy setting up an "fund a tour" campaign, if every one of our friends just donates just £1 to our cause we can buy a bigger bus and have a proper tour getting round to all of the venues you guys wanna see us at up and down the UK and even over in europe and the states!!

please send a £1 coin or a cheque for one pound to:

My mind's weapon

flat 4/2

200 elliot street

Glasgow

G3 8EX

It's hardly as new idea, nor one thats just reserved for smaller bands, in 97, a group of Marillion fans in the states raised about $70,000 to get the band over as they seldom toured there, in return the people who donated over a certain amount got a free live CD from one of the dates, that might be a better idea for Weapon to raise the money though, presell a CD for £12 or so, get 1000 pressed up (will cost under 2k) and then if there are 1000 people wanting to see you they might buy the CD which would allow the band 10k to get a nice bus and finance the tour, we presold the last studio Jo CD which financed the pressing and generally means you're in profit by the time you get on the road so you can put the money towards the touring. This way even if you dont get to tour everyone gets something as promised so there's no refunds etc, and you'd only need to sell to about 15% of the friends list to break even.

Cheers

Stuart

Scrounging for the 21st century. "Spare any change, mate?"

What happens if they fall short? It'd cost a fortune to post all those quids back.

Before anyone starts any knicker-pissing, I'd say the same about any band who tried this little stunt.

i feel so sorry for many of the international touring bands who i have met/put on/put up on floor when they are talking about how much money it costs to tour overseas. one band who i met when i was doing some driving had maxed up nearly 10k on the singers credit card, just getting to the uk/ireland and playing shows for £60/80 a night

i wouldnt ask anyone to donate cash to a kitty if i was in that situation, ever! tbh id rather they bought a cd/7"/shirt or something, but i can see where they are coming from, and at the end of the day its their band/their call

hey hey

the post was just for a laugh

as far as putting a button on our paypal, that sounds like a good idea. i think with transactions that small, we would have to pay a fair percentage of the intake to paypal itself.

it was just an idea that we're not banking on. but if anyone does donate (which is probably highly unlikely anyways) we will make sure we hit up their town on our jan/feb tour.

lets face it though. if someone is against helping us out etc, it's your choice. we wont hold it against you.

if there was space for our backline, a PA etc and we managed to get a few pennies, we'd probably do it for a laugh.

i think though, it would be best kept to a local venue of the donatee's choice. :D:D

means you'll get maximum enjoyment

donatee's also will get in free (min you, that's up to ben or alex, lol)

(y)

"fund a tour!!!! please!

Hey u guys!! We're celebrating our 10,000 friends mark buy setting up an "fund a tour" campaign, if every one of our friends just donates just 1 to our cause we can buy a bigger bus and have a proper tour getting round to all of the venues you guys wanna see us at up and down the UK and even over in europe and the states!!

please send a 1 coin or a cheque for one pound to:

My mind's weapon

flat 4/2

200 elliot street

Glasgow

G3 8EX

It is a bit, but I'd do it too - so I can't comment haha

I wouldn't get too bothered by it. One of my mates left us a comment suggesting *JOKINGLY* to ask for donations, and our drummer Nick decided to go head and post a bulletin saying so. Whether he was being serious or not, I have no idea.. Reading it, it sounds like he is completely taking the piss. But on the off chance he was being serious, it certainly wasn't a planned thing by any of the rest of us.

Having said that, if anyone IS taking it seriously... you know where to send your cash :D

Or you could just buy one of our new tshirts....:

Skulls.jpg

Thrash.jpg