aberdeen-music

John Gillan Weekender 2 - A Bad Year For Heroes: Songs of Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett

Jamie

This year, weve decided to extend our usual fun-filled tribute event in memory of former Lemon Tree DJ and opinionated scenester John Gillan to two very different though strongly connected nights. We celebrate three iconic artists who passed away in 2006 - Ivor Cutler (part 1 of the weekender take place on Friday the 12th Jan - see separate posting), Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett - all favourites of Johns and who embodied his love of eccentric and highly individual artists. John was instrumental in bringing Ivor Cutler to Aberdeen for two unforgettable performances in the mid '90s as part of the Alternative Festival while Arthur Lee played twice to a rapturous reception at The Lemon Tree in recent years. Like John, Ivor, Arthur and Syd will be sadly missed.

Two of the most influential and distinctive songwriters of the 1960s, Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett were at the heart of the psychedelic movement as the creative forces behind The Pink Floyd and Love respectively. A huge cast of acolytes gather to celebrate the collective genius of these crazy diamonds in both acoustic and full-on rocking modes.

All ticket income from these shows goes directly to Roxburghe House hospice where John was cared for towards the end of his life.

• 1 month later...

The Welfare Mothers Effervescing Elephant was fab, as was the rest of the set!!!!!

I enjoyed the whole night loads...I was more relaxed, as I wasn't compering, so got more chance to see the acts....what a great mix of sounds!!!!!

Big hugs to Steven Milne, Mike Napier and all the Lemon Tree folk for making it such a fantastic night:up: