aberdeen-music

The John Gillan Weekender - songs and words of Ivor Cutler, Syd Barret & Arthur Lee

Jamie

The John Gillan Weekender

This year, weve decided to extend our usual fun-filled tribute event in memory of former Lemon Tree DJ and opinionated scenester John Gillan to two very different though strongly connected nights. We celebrate three iconic artists who passed away in 2006 - Ivor Cutler, Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett - all favourites of Johns and who embodied his love of eccentric and highly individual artists. John was instrumental in bringing Ivor Cutler to Aberdeen for two unforgettable performances in the mid '90s as part of the Alternative Festival while Arthur Lee played twice to a rapturous reception at The Lemon Tree in recent years. Like John, Ivor, Arthur and Syd will be sadly missed.

Interesting Music and The Lemon Tree present

Beautiful Cosmos:

The Words And Music Of Ivor Cutler

featuring

Alasdair Roberts

The Holy Folks

John Cavanagh

Tom Morton

Adrian Crowley

Kathryn Sawers

King Creosote

Michael Marra

and many more to be announced

Compered by Alan Davidson (Kitchen Cynics) and Mike Napier

Friday 12th January,

Doors Open 8pm/Onstage 9pm

10 (6.75 concessions and Regulars)

(or 15/12 for both shows)

A multitude of artists come together to pay homage to one of Scotlands greatest ever creative talents in song and spoken word and to celebrate his birthday (15th January)

A familiar and unforgettable voice on BBC TV and radio since the late 1950s, Ivor recorded more John Peel sessions than any other act except The Fall, and was cast by fans Lennon and McCartney as the busdriver Buster Bloodvessel in Magical Mystery Tour.

The evening will also be an ideal introduction to those unfamiliar with the great mans hilarious and touchingly idiosyncratic style.

www.ivorcutler.org

A Bad Year For Heroes:

A Tribute To Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett

featuring

The Kitchen Cynics

Delawair

The Jinx

Scream Thy Last Scream

Steven Milne

Mike Napier

Welfare Mothers

Phil Johnston

Phonefreak

Planeteers

Kharleong

Saturday 13th January

7.50 (5 concessions and Regulars)

Two of the most influential and distinctive songwriters of the 1960s, Arthur Lee and Syd Barrett were at the heart of the psychedelic movement as the creative forces behind The Pink Floyd and Love respectively. A huge cast of acolytes gather to celebrate the collective genius of these crazy diamonds in both acoustic and full-on rocking modes.

All ticket income from these shows goes directly to Roxburghe House hospice where John was cared for towards the end of his life

Friday 12th January,

10 (6.75 concessions and Regulars)

Saturday 13th January

7.50 (5 concessions and Regulars)

So, for regulars you'll be 12 for both nights but you'll only be 11.75 if you buy seperately?

Now, i'm not going to quibble over such a minor amount, but I think you should maybe review your "buy both, pay more" policy for future events.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys

could everyone involved in the arthur lee / syd barrett arrange for a meet up!

whens everyone free? i have to compile tech spec for everyone, check clashed songs and a running order!

email me : stevenmilne82@hotmail.com

OR PM ME for my mobile number

for those who have already been in touch, ill ring you all tomorrow day to discuss!

x

• 2 weeks later...

after last night & today, I haven't met anybody who attended who said that last night was less than "very good" & in some cases "wonderfull". I applaud the lady with the good taste

to give me a big hug saying Ivor Cutler was her hero & what happened last night

was the "best events she has ever attended".

footnote

i met a guy today from Glasgow, who was there last night & told me nobody in Glasgow

would have the nouse to put on such a quality event in Glagow (Ivor's home city) to celebrate the life of Ivor Cutler.

well done to all the comperes, the artists, Graeme, the listening audience & all the duty Lemon Tree staff for making last night a fitting quality event celebrating the life & work of Mr Cutler.

interesting music

:up: :up: :up:

Another one of those extremely special Interesting Music Nights........I always think they can never top the last great one, but somehow they manage!!!!!

Graeme (& Peter) managing to get the harmonium was the cream on the cake. The work which he, Mike, Jenny and Mark did was way above the call of duty (especially the injured Mark!!!).

Another one of those extremely special Interesting Music Nights........I always think they can never top the last great one, but somehow they manage!!!!!

Graeme (& Peter) managing to get the harmonium was the cream on the cake. The work which he, Mike, Jenny and Mark did was way above the call of duty (especially the injured Mark!!!).

You are too kind Alan, although I was in extreme pain on Saturday.

And not just because of the Dons game.

Alan, what delay pedal do you have. I want one badly!

Brilliant gig on Friday - absolutely bloody marvellous. I'm still raving about it.

I think I was using an Ibanez DL 5 for the delay, and feeding it into an Akai Headrush for the loops.

I sometimes use a wee blue Guyatone MD3, and had them both on Friday....I definitely used the Ibanez on Saturday, 'cos the Guyatone battery was done (which suggests it was that which I used on Friday!).

Syd 75% , Arthur 25%

I was at the Arthur and Syd night recently and must say how disappointed I was in the amount of Arthur's material covered. If I remember correctly the night kicked off shortly after 9, and it was about 11 by the first AL number. I expected the rest of the evening to be all Arthur Lee songs, but no, we still got several more of Syd's. It was all over by the back of 12. Don't get me wrong, I loved most of the stuff of Syd's the artist's performed, but surely it should have been roughly 50/50. I also noted that the loudest applause was consistently for Arthurs material, so surely others must have felt the same as me. Nevertheless, thanks for putting this gig on.

You're right about the imbalance. I feel guilty about only doing 1 song by Arthur and 3 by Syd. But, as you say, still a fine night.

My excuse is that my love of Syd's stuff is deep-rooted and longstanding (37 years?), and, although I like Love (and saw all Arthur's Lemon tree gigs) Syd connected more with me.