aberdeen-music

best amp for metal?

ChildofBodom

check for second hand mesas or look for ones in the USA. costs 60 to get em sorted for uk use

it really does pay to spend a bit more on your amp

what guitar do you use?

p.s. solid state amps are generally shite for metal and you will nto get the best out of your overdrive pedals

KKV, dimebag razor back, and a randy rhodes rr5.

Best gigging amp? Mesa Boogie Roadking I say. That will set you back the best part of 3,000 so maybe, a peavey amp with a few pedals, realisticly.

Failing that, concider ENGL Screamer 50 combo, JCM 800 head with distortion/overdrive pedal and reverb pedal. JCM900 combo doesn't sound bad but not as good as JCM800 head.

You would be pushing it to get a mesa boogie combo on ebay but it could be worth a try.

JCM900 combo doesn't sound bad

Yes it does.

As long as the combos not open backed I agree, the single recto is the way to go. I know the pods crap, but the single recto model on that thing sounded SO much better than the dual recto model that either someone messed up big time, or 50w amps really do sound better than 100w amps :)

I sold my Mesa Single Rectifier Rectoverb II combo for 500. You just need to be patient and look around and you'll probably find a bargain somewhere.

Powerball does it for me though. Try an ENGL if ya can. Pretty good stuff :up:

Good call on the ENGL.

Andi Watson recommended the ENGL Screamer as a good choice combo amp. They can be got from Thomann (Germany) for about 675.

Maybe selling a Deizel Herbert if anyone is interested, Great amp for metal.

Not sure yet as trying out a bogner ecstacy (not sure on spelling) in a few weeks.

If i like and buy the bogner am selling the herbert.

also in response to this thread, 5150 Head is good ( I have a really early one) but i think i would recommend the ENGL over it for sheer power

Guest inc18457
I would love a 5150!

5150 in action...

http://www.hevydevy.com/audio/mp3/syl_forcefed.mp3

quite apt that you chose that song title...from "mr-forcefeeds-everyone-devin-townsend-at-every-oppertunity"!

5150's are used on so many recordings. anything that andy sneap produces has at least one 5150 guitar track, possibly blended with something else, possibly not...

quite apt that you chose that song title...from "mr-forcefeeds-everyone-devin-townsend-at-every-oppertunity"!

5150's are used on so many recordings. anything that andy sneap produces has at least one 5150 guitar track, possibly blended with something else, possibly not...

Damn right.

"Opportunity"

Not sure - I'll email Andi and ask him.

is that andi watson who has one?

i really like what i have heard from demos and recordings but need to hear it in a room with just me and the amp.

If its the ecstacy ask him if he recommends it? I think it sounds really smooth

I do really like the herbert but its a bit too much if you know what i mean. Its really more for metal when i just want a smooth rock sound

is that andi watson who has one?

i really like what i have heard from demos and recordings but need to hear it in a room with just me and the amp.

If its the ecstacy ask him if he recommends it? I think it sounds really smooth

I do really like the herbert but its a bit too much if you know what i mean. Its really more for metal when i just want a smooth rock sound

Indeed it is the Talented Mr Watson and the amp is a Bogner Shiva head with an oversized 2x12 cab.

He recommends it highly.

How much are you looking for for the Herbert? I prefer them (from what I've heard of them) to the VH4. THe VH4 is an immense sounding piece of kit but the Herbert has a voicing I much prefer.

I've played through them both and preferred the VH4 - although to be honest, there is hardly anything in it. the vh4 has more channels, but no one uses channel 2 so that is irrelevant. The herbert has a more overly compressed sound, yet it is generally the 'metal' players that use the vh4, and rock players who opt for the herbert. Hetfield and Sambora being respective users of the different models, just as an example....