aberdeen-music

NME Cool List 2006.

A.Pel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually condemning the NME for having a "cool" list.

To be fair if you had that kind of influence and sales you'd probably be doing the same thing as well whatever sort of music/style you were endorsing. People buy into charts by magazines or sources they're interested in, you're interested in the Fudge awards non? ^_^

Listen to the music and if you don't like the magazine don't read it. Seems mildly like needless anger to me.

uhhhh.....it's a fucking joke designed to provoke a reaction and it looks like a lot of you have fallen for it.

the horrors are in nme mainly because they are on a label run by one nme's writers.

spanisharmada's comment on the girl from the gossip was pretty predictable. ooooh she's fat! pssssh....she's also pretty kick ass!

yeah it's trashy having a cool list...that's the point! it's entertainment....music is meant to be entertaining and fun. you guys really need to lighten up.

1 Beth Ditto (The Gossip) - Not Cool

2 Faris Rotter (The Horrors) - Not cool

3 Lily Allen - Not cool

4 Jarvis Cocker - Cool

5 Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) - Cool

6 Kieren Webster (The View) - Not cool

7 Kate Jackson (The Long Blondes) - Kinda cool

8 Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) - Not cool

9 Thom Yorke (Radiohead) - Neither cool nor uncool

10 Lovefoxxx (CSS) - Kinda cool

11 Paul Simonon (The Good, The Bad & The Queen) - Was cool about 20 years ago

12 Liam Gallagher (Oasis) - Never cool

13 Jamie Reynolds (Klaxons) - Not cool

14 The House Of Lords (The Young Knives) - Kinda cool in chubby english country gent way

15 Tahita Bulmer (New Young Pony Club) - Wouldn't have the foggiest

16 Cee-Lo (Gnarls Barkley) - Kinda cool

17 Ryan Ross (Panic! At The Disco) - Not cool

18 Carl Barat (Dirty Pretty Things) - Not cool

19 Jack White (The White Stripes/The Raconteurs) - Not cool (cos he likes Led Zeppelin)

20 Jamie Frost (The Automatic) - Not cool

21 Serge Pizzorno (Kasabian) - Not cool and dense as the jungle

22 Eugene Hutz (Gogol Bordello) - Cool and a suprisingly good actor

23 Albert Hammond Jr (The Strokes) - Not cool, looks like a child extra from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

24 Meg White (The White Stripes) - Not cool

25 Jay-Z - Not cool

26 Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones) - Not (and never was) cool

27 Matt Bellamy (Muse) - Neither cool nor uncool

28 Pete Doherty (Babyshambles) - Not cool

29 Brandon Flowers (The Killers) - Not cool (Apart from the part of their new vid where he looks like Roy Orbison)

30 Statik - Wouldn't have the foggiest

31 Richard Hawley - Not cool (i'm sorry to say)

32 Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) - Not cool

33 Vincent Vincent (Vincent Vincent & The Villains) - Don't have the foggiest

34 Lupe Fiasco - Not cool

35 Alexis Taylor (Hot Chip) - Not cool

36 Mike Patton - Neither cool nor uncool

37 Jamie Williams (Tilly & The Wall) - Neither cool nor uncool

38 Bobby Gillespie (Primal Scream) - Not cool

39 Mike Skinner (The Streets) - Not cool

40 Ali Love - Not cool

41 Tunde Adebimpe (TV On The Radio) - Cool

42 Mince (The Fratellis) - Not cool

43 Devendra Banhart - Not cool

44 Sam Duckworth (Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly) - Not cool

45 Victoria Bergman (Ex-The Concretes) - Cool

46 Jackie McKeown (1990s) - Not cool

47 George Barnett (These New Puritans) - Neither cool nor uncool

48 Cat Power - Don't know about cool, but i wouldn't say no

49 Thorunn Antonia (Fields) - Same as above probably

50 Amy Winehouse - Not cool

And for having nothing better to do I am most certainly uncool. There are, at a push, 9 cool people on that list.

11 Paul Simonon (The Good, The Bad & The Queen) - Was cool about 20 years ago

19 Jack White (The White Stripes/The Raconteurs) - Not cool (cos he likes Led Zeppelin)

26 Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones) - Not (and never was) cool

I'm not sure about yr logic as to why these people are uncool...

And on the subject of the NME cool list, who cares? It's written by little wanks that think the libertines were some sort of messiah like band who changed the universe forever. And Kim Deal should have been at number one anyways...

Guest bluesxman

I saw The Gossip on Jonathan Ross the other week, who cares if she is fat, she fair belts out a tune. That list makes me sad if for no other reason that Paul Simonon is reduced to being listed for Allbran's new venture rather than as part of The Clash when he truly was cool.

The NME has been very Doherty/Borrell-centric over the last few years, and there's always going to be thatelement to it, as most of the writers are middle-class white males. At least some of the writers are paying attention to some of the underground indie bands that have gathered a great following from playing cool gigs and putting out great records, such as The Long Blondes, We Start Fires, The Sugars and The Gossip. Right now Kate Jackson and Beth Ditto are the coolest people I can think of - one is a charity shop princess obsessed with moviestar glamour, cool literature and old cars, the other a sexy, Reubenesque, John Waters loving trashqueen with a voice like Janis Joplin.

Guest DustyDeviada
Agreed. Quite frankly I'd love to carry a gun to shoot at any female in a school uniform who no longer attends the school in question.

Get a fucking brain and get a fucking personality.

Same goes for:

Nurses

Air Hostess

"Devils"

Cats

Bunnies

*deletes PM he had drafted asking Lester out* ;)

PS What are your views on latex?

Right now Kate Jackson and Beth Ditto are the coolest people I can think of - one is a charity shop princess obsessed with moviestar glamour, cool literature and old cars, the other a sexy, Reubenesque, John Waters loving trashqueen with a voice like Janis Joplin.

Kate Jackson is supremely cool, but I'm terrified NME will ruin her coolness by speaking about her non-stop until her look becomes sanitised and mass-marketed by Topshop and then everyone will look exactly like her.

I think NME and Topman are in cahoots to sabotage the inherent coolness of Rock and Roll. NME's 'best dressed' award is sponsored by Topman and Topman's 'latest look' is 'Goth Rock' (I assume due to the popularity of My Chemical Romance etc).

Guest DustyDeviada
As trent reznor said "someone give me a copy of nme i need something to wipe my arse with"

The old "newsprint" NME would surely be better for this purpose, the glossy NME of today wouldn't be much use at all. ;)

Kate Jackson is supremely cool, but I'm terrified NME will ruin her coolness by speaking about her non-stop until her look becomes sanitised and mass-marketed by Topshop and then everyone will look exactly like her.

I think NME and Topman are in cahoots to sabotage the inherent coolness of Rock and Roll. NME's 'best dressed' award is sponsored by Topman and Topman's 'latest look' is 'Goth Rock' (I assume due to the popularity of My Chemical Romance etc).

I love the Long Blondes but I think it’s important to remember that they haven't even had a top ten single or appeared on the front cover of the NME. The vast majority of people have never heard of the Long Blondes, Beth Gossip, Horrors or any other band currently being name checked by the magazine.

Kate Jackson is incredibly sexy and has a gorgeous fruity voice but I don't think that her dress code is particularly original. I don't know anything about fashion but I would be surprised if anybody thought the glam charity shop image is unique by any means. She does appear quite suave though and has not achieved all this critical acclaim by accident.

If they keep writing songs as good as Giddy Stratosphere, which is my single of the year then I can see remaining keeping their pouting glamour crown for a good while yet.

I love the Long Blondes but I think its important to remember that they haven't even had a top ten single or appeared on the front cover of the NME. The vast majority of people have never heard of the Long Blondes, Beth Gossip, Horrors or any other band currently being name checked by the magazine.

Kate Jackson is incredibly sexy and has a gorgeous fruity voice but I don't think that her dress code is particularly original. I don't know anything about fashion but I would be surprised if anybody thought the glam charity shop image is unique by any means. She does appear quite suave though and has not achieved all this critical acclaim by accident.

If they keep writing songs as good as Giddy Stratosphere, which is my single of the year then I can see remaining keeping their pouting glamour crown for a good while yet.

You're right about The Long Blondes popularity, their debut album has pretty much come and gone without any major reaction from NME, despite them giving it a good review. The Gossip could still creep in and become very big withing the fairly sheltered pages of the NME (they wouldn't have put Beth at number one if they weren't planning on giving them a serious push), the whole thing is planned out.

As for Kate Jackson's clothes, there's a lot of people wearing what she wears, but she does do it a lot better than most. The problem is, just about everything NME writes about them is about their image, people aren't going to realise they've written some of the best Indie Pop tunes for the last couple of years.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Meanwhile CSS's Lovefoxx says she feels coolest "When I get drunk, and then I feel really cool."

Holy shit, she's in the major-league now, rubbing shoulders with the likes of winos and 13 year olds hanging out in the park with a bottle of cider