aberdeen-music

What makes Scotland yours?

Benji

What defines our differance to the rest of the British Isles and makes us who we are?

Scotland (Scottish Gaelic: Alba) is a nation in northwest Europe and one of the constituent countries[2] of the United Kingdom. It occupies the northern third of the island of Great Britain and shares a land border to the south with England. It is bounded by the North Sea to the east' date=' the Atlantic Ocean to the north and west, and the North Channel and Irish Sea to the southwest. Apart from the mainland, Scotland consists of over 790 islands.[3']

Edinburgh, the nation's capital and second largest city, is one of Europe's largest financial centres.[4] Scotland's largest city is Glasgow, which is the centre of the Greater Glasgow conurbation. Greater Glasgow is home to approximately 40% of Scotland's population. Scottish waters consist of a large sector[5] of the North Atlantic and the North Sea, containing the largest oil reserves in the European Union.

The Kingdom of Scotland was an independent state until 1 May 1707, when the Acts of Union resulted in a political union with the Kingdom of England to create the Kingdom of Great Britain. Scotland's legal system continues to be separate from those of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, therefore Scotland still constitutes a discrete jurisdiction in public and in private international law.[6] The continued independence of Scots law, the Scottish education system and the Church of Scotland have been three cornerstones contributing to the continuation of Scottish culture and Scottish national identity since the Union. However, Scotland is no longer a sovereign state and does not enjoy direct membership of either the United Nations or the European Union.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete and utter devotion and awareness of our countries numerous historical failures. I don't think anyone has more of a sense of humour about the state of their own country than the Scots.

The National Anthem should be "We're shite and we know we are".

That scene in Trainspotting where they discuss being Scottish should be used by the Tourist Board, it's everything you need to know about the country summed up in a couple of minutes.

"I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the fucking low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any fucking difference."

The National Anthem should be "We're shite and we know we are".

That scene in Trainspotting where they discuss being Scottish should be used by the Tourist Board, it's everything you need to know about the country summed up in a couple of minutes.

"I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the fucking low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any fucking difference."

Marvelous!

Every 'devoted Scot' I know can be described by Mr Welsh's choice words right there.

In no particular order:

Mogwai

Aereogramme

Arab Strap

Chemikal Underground

Tennents Lager

Single Malts

Old Firm Clashes

Seasonal Adjustment Disorder

Naked Video

Chewin' The Fat

Still Game

Some of the cast from Absolutely

Supporting any team that plays against England

Ian Banks

Ian Rankin

Christopher Brookmyre

Oor Wullie

The Broons

The Beano

Electric Soup

The MacBam Brothers

Deep-fried confectionery, pizzas, and other foods

Haggis, neeps and tatties

Skirlie

i don't get this attitude. that's like saying you shouldn't support/be a fan of anything. there's nothing wrong with national pride as long as you don't get ridiculous about it.

/x

tbh, that was perhaps a bit harsh, but it is the ones that do get ridiculous about it that I can't stand. I don't feel proud simply because I happened to be born in Scotland, nor do I feel proud of the achievements of anyone else just because they were born relatively close by. National pride is fine if it is pride in something that we as a nation have collectively done, or a collective attribute that we have, but I can't think of what that might be.

I feel pride in many of the things that I myself have done, but I don't see why I should feel pride if say Scotland beat somebody at football, because I had nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm weird.