aberdeen-music

Jonah Matranga

Guest MDP

peacock visual arts/under the hammer would be perfect for a gig of this nature

Bad call. It might be worthwhile for someone that simply is willing to come provided the cash is right, but why alienate people who might be interested in checking him out in a mainstream venue?

It's easy to put on gigs in places like that if someone else is paying, but if someone else isn't, then it's sheer stupidity in my opinion.

Bad call. It might be worthwhile for someone that simply is willing to come provided the cash is right, but why alienate people who might be interested in checking him out in a mainstream venue?

It's easy to put on gigs in places like that if someone else is paying, but if someone else isn't, then it's sheer stupidity in my opinion.

it's not stupididity if it's the right venue. peacock would be the perfect venue for this. i honestly can't imagine him selling out even the tunnels. i really don't see how booking him for the likes of peacock is 'alienating' anyone? it's a perfectly accessible venue and certainly isn't intimidating. as for under the hammer, it's the finest pub in aberdeen and has a better atmosphere than any mainstream boozer in town.

i think peacock is a better choice than under the hammer and would be just about full for this gig whereas any bigger venue will struggle to fill up.

it's a tough call but i think he'd struggle to pull in enough folk in a larger venue. of course, it depends on jonah's fee.

once again your lack of hands on knowledge makes you appear like a tool.

if people want to see jonah play and its promoted properly then does it really matter if it isnt in a noisy huge bar? i know most people would rather see a solo artist in a small venue as opoosed to an aircraft hangar with lots of tools ruining it if they had the choice. so not only is it better for the punter, its better for the performer.

how many gigs have you been to in peacocks??

intimate atmosphere please, im british.

edit

and, if anything, a nice venue like peacocks brings people to gigs who dont normally go. when we did chris leo there was around 80 people in on a rainy tuesday night in december. few people in aberdeen had ever heard of the lapse, native nod or the van pelt. many of the people at that show were new faces

it's not stupididity if it's the right venue. peacock would be the perfect venue for this. i honestly can't imagine him selling out even the tunnels. i really don't see how booking him for the likes of peacock is 'alienating' anyone? it's a perfectly accessible venue and certainly isn't intimidating. as for under the hammer, it's the finest pub in aberdeen and has a better atmosphere than any mainstream boozer in town.

Look at it through the eyes of someone who isn't clued up and savvy, though. I know I'd struggle to get any of my friends to go to a gig at either Peacock or Under the Hammer - even if I knew the gig would be amazing (and if they liked the music), they still most likely wouldn't go. I dare say a lot of people have similar attitudes - they know their safe, friendly music venues and won't explore other ones.

i think peacock is a better choice than under the hammer and would be just about full for this gig whereas any bigger venue will struggle to fill up.

it's a tough call but i think he'd struggle to pull in enough folk in a larger venue. of course, it depends on jonah's fee.

I'm not sure exactly what his fee is, but I've got a feeling that it may be unviable in Peacock for that reason alone.

once again your lack of hands on knowledge makes you appear like a tool.

Who needs hands on knowledge when other people have tried and failed at similar things?

if people want to see jonah play and its promoted properly then does it really matter if it isnt in a noisy huge bar? i know most people would rather see a solo artist in a small venue as opoosed to an aircraft hangar with lots of tools ruining it if they had the choice. so not only is it better for the punter, its better for the performer.

I like how you're stating that it's better for the performer, without considering that the performer may want to make as much money and play to as much people as possible. Just because some of the people you've dealt with have loved it, doesn't mean that everyone wants to do it.

As for the "tools ruining it", they might want to see the gig too, you know..

Someone mentioned the Chris TT gig at Drummonds a while back for having a great atmosphere - and I agree, it did. No reason why a similar effort here wouldn't reap results.

and, if anything, a nice venue like peacocks brings people to gigs who dont normally go. when we did chris leo there was around 80 people in on a rainy tuesday night in december. few people in aberdeen had ever heard of the lapse, native nod or the van pelt. many of the people at that show were new faces

Fair enough, it can work, but it's always easier when someone else is paying ;)

Ultimately though, it's unlikely that people who go to Peacock will be put off by a gig at Drummonds if they want to see the bands, so what's the point in running it there?

I know I'd struggle to get any of my friends to go to a gig at either Peacock or Under the Hammer - even if I knew the gig would be amazing (and if they liked the music), they still most likely wouldn't go.

Maybe your friends just don't want to go with you.

Most normal people don't give a crap about where the gig is, if they like the music or the artist you should be able to persuade them.

I honestly don't believe what you said above has any grounds in reality whatsoever.

What people care about when they go to a gig (based on what I think about and what my friends ask when I tell them about a gig):

Who's playing?

How much is it to get in?

How much is booze?

Is it in walking distance?

I'm not sure exactly what his fee is, but I've got a feeling that it may be unviable in Peacock for that reason alone.

i have a few friends in the uk who have put him on in small places, your pal del put him on in kingston a few times too.

having done further research, i have heard from a few sources, his fee is not really outrageous, and on occasions he doesnt stipulate a fee. it all depends on his travel arrangements. the fact that he books stuff himself with the help of friends in the know also kinda points towards this.

at the end of the day, you dictate ticket prices based on projected gig costs balanced with the value factor. if it is too much then you dont do it. simple.

we could argue till we are blue in the face, we could try to out-do each other with every post, its nto going to change much. i just hope that this gig goes ahead in aberdeen. then we will have facts

peacock visual arts centre would be a great venue. i went to see tom leonard do a poetry reading during the word festival, and even if you're right up the back it's still incredibly intimate. having never been to 'under the hammer', i wouldn't know what it's like as a venue...but if jonah played the east nuek bar i'd go, because it's fucking jonah.

peacocks would be a good venue for him i think, i saw chris murty in there and it was very cool.And maxi is right, his fee isn't RIDICULOUS but still not cheap. I am trying my hardest to get something arranged up here though, as i have been wanting to see jonah for a long time!

The only slight draw-back to Peacock Visuals is the lack of a bar, but thats easily remedied (as it was at the Audrey gig- though i dunno if the place has a license). The sound in their is nice, the atmosphere is warm and friendly. It's an interesting venue and very intimate. Perfect for acoustic/ambient/solo/strings etc.

Moshulu would be a terrible choice, Drummonds likewise, Tunnels would be too big (all of which has been said before i guess)

If someone doesn't book him i will, there, sorted. End of arguement.

the date isn't certain, but i am doing everything i can to arrange a show in aberdeen, there are a few possible dates around the end of april, so hopefully get something concrete soon people :D

usually there is a "donation" bar in place

Are they licenced for it?

Considering how badly you can get hammered for breaking licencing law, it hardly seems worthwhile even considering doing such a thing on the side.

This thread does go to show how badly a 100-ish capacity venue is needed though.

I find it amusing though that people aren't willing to understand that although Peacock's is fine for people "in the know", it's pretty useless for the average person. Isn't the goal, after all, to get the average person interested?

What I'll never understand is the desire to get acts into "small, intimate" surroundings. It might be cool for local bands doing something different, but for an international touring act? Maybe it's a matter of perspective, but I wouldn't be too keen on playing somewhere like Peacock's when a city had far better venues available.