aberdeen-music

Jonah Matranga

Guest MDP

Are they licenced for it?

Considering how badly you can get hammered for breaking licencing law, it hardly seems worthwhile even considering doing such a thing on the side.

This thread does go to show how badly a 100-ish capacity venue is needed though.

I find it amusing though that people aren't willing to understand that although Peacock's is fine for people "in the know", it's pretty useless for the average person. Isn't the goal, after all, to get the average person interested?

What I'll never understand is the desire to get acts into "small, intimate" surroundings. It might be cool for local bands doing something different, but for an international touring act? Maybe it's a matter of perspective, but I wouldn't be too keen on playing somewhere like Peacock's when a city had far better venues available.

Jesus christ. Please shut up Cloud :down:

I find it amusing though that people aren't willing to understand that although Peacock's is fine for people "in the know", it's pretty useless for the average person. Isn't the goal, after all, to get the average person interested?

But why is it useless for the average person? You just say it is, you don't say why it is.

I can only assume that you mean it's useless because they don't know where it is. Gigs at peacocks are always advertised stating that it's on the Castlegate. Some genius even managed to put a sign above the entrance saying Peacock Visual Arts, so people could find it once they were on the Castlegate. The gigs are usually cheap, the venue is lovely and is very well suited to acoustic acts.

It's no more useless for the average punter than the tunnels, or moshulu or any other venue that's not smack bang in the city centre and gets heaps of folk walking past it. In fact I'd say its harder for the "average" punter who doesn't go to gigs to find the tunnels is than to find where Peacocks is.

What I'll never understand is the desire to get acts into "small, intimate" surroundings. It might be cool for local bands doing something different, but for an international touring act? Maybe it's a matter of perspective, but I wouldn't be too keen on playing somewhere like Peacock's when a city had far better venues available.

far better venues? go name them? in general yes venues may technically be better but for this choice of show i dont think i can name a better venue. you put an artists like jonah in this enviroment because it is best for him as an artist. i know if i was doin a solo show id rather be put in a room with 80-100 people filling it rather than that same 80-100 people in a 3rd full tunnels.

seems like an obviosu concept to me

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd come and see what the crack with Jonah in this thread is.

I've pretty much got him confirmed for a gig in central London so we will see how that affects the Aberdeen date (I'm supposedly getting him on the 25th?! How is he going to travel?! The mentalist).

In my experience of Aberdeen venues, I'd say Drummond would be best for the gig. Jonah knows how to deal with crowds and the vast majority of people who would go and see him aren't of the "i'm a prick that talks during gigs" disposition.

Even with his stupidly high guarantee (which has got HIGHER since I put him on in November! sacre bleu!), I managed to put him on at a 90 capacity venue in my hometown just outside of London, and made a profit. The gig was ace. He's worth booking but make sure you get the right venue.

Lastly, if you do book him, can I support?

Safe-ting.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
thats nothing like what i'm paying, but never mind, YOU know best as always.

Didn't you delete your fucking account, dickhead? What the hell makes you think you can come back onto this site?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

In my experience of Aberdeen venues, I'd say Drummond would be best for the gig. Jonah knows how to deal with crowds and the vast majority of people who would go and see him aren't of the "i'm a prick that talks during gigs" disposition.

Yeah, and the vast majority of people who go to Drummonds aren't interested in seeing Jonah.