aberdeen-music

Plasma TV advice...

Guest MDP

we're completley redoing out living room, and as part of it are planning to build a 40" (or thereabouts) plasma tv into the wall.

anyone got any advice of good ones to buy? looking at getting HD sky aswel to go along with it, and full surround sound+dvd...

cheers!

:up:

Guest DustyDeviada
Yup, plasma is very 2003. They use a silly amount of electricity as well. Look around on the net for independent suppliers, you'll find that some of them have better deals than the big chains.

You can get John Lewis to price match, check out avforums.com for some tips on the best deals.

Guest onlynik
aye if the badge on them says panasonic or pioneer then you have a case (and also are willing to pay panasonic/pioneer prices)

in general. nah mate. lcd's are the way to go at the moment! without a doubt

Except there are only 4 or 5 different OEM manufacturers of Plasma and LCD screens anyway, they are all rebadged

Depends on the size, and also whether you care about spending thousands of pounds on a telly that is only likely to work for a couple of years.

Indeed. I've skipped big plasmas costing tens of thousands that were utterly unwatchable after @2 years. The cost of replacing the matrix was invariably a bit more than getting the latest model. If you are going to build-in, look, for something with a better screen life.

As for projectors, forget it. Unless you wan't to put up with all the limitations needed to get an acceptable picture from them too. Or unless you don't actually care about what you are watching.

okay, i used to work in currys and was good at that shit so heres you're pro's and cons (and im not trying to sell you it so you'll get nae shite) :

plasma : Pro's - handles higher than standard def resolutions better on bigger screens,anything above say 32'. thats where it ends im afraid

cons, more likely to have images burned onto the screen, ,leccy bill will rocket, slightly deeper than lcd's so will need more space in the wall. (whcih reminds me, are you having it ON the wall or IN the wall, that makes all the difference).

also, a note on plasma tv's : they run on gas (dont ask) and over the years they leak this gas and must be charged again which costs half the cost of te telly again and only one man in the universe knows how to do it and he's in a coma on the moon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LCD pros: more cost effective (cheaper to buy and run) , they do that cool morphing thing when you touch the screen, they live a lot longer than plasma.

cons - i cant of anything.

most plasma tv manufacturers say their tv will last 8 years with 'average' use. if you go to their website (i think it was sony for example) it defines average use as 4 hours per day. which, lets face it.... most folks watch more tv than that

hope that helps.

edit: also, if its going to be used for next gen consoles... look at the contrast ratio as well as the resolution. 800:1 is excellent. 600:1 is acceptable. dont go any lower. (if not for gaming or hd tv then forget about contrast)

it's looking like LCD will be the tele of choise then, and zero... it will be going IN the wall, but the room is getting a TOTAL makeover involving removing all plasterboard and the roof and everything

Obviously not quite as fancy, but wouldn't it be a bit smarter to just get a flat LCD tv that can be attached to the wall? Building one into the wall poses a number of problems, such as upgrading in future (you'll need a telly that's exactly the same dimensions) and eventually selling the house (person buying would have to buy exactly the same telly, assuming you don't sell the setup with the house).

Sounds very flashy and all that, but surely it'd be more logical to get something less disfiguring to the room? The novelty of having a tv built into the wall will wear off in a couple of weeks anyway.

that really isnt a big problem for us... since we are ripping apart the whole place anyway building it into the wall isnt gunna be a problem, and if the house gets sold (which isnt gunna be happening very soon considering the extension we're building and stuff) then we will just put the wall back to normal...

Okay well since I work at John Lewis in the TVs department I might be able to help.

Our recommendation is generally go for a plasma. These days they arnt more expensive, and if you go into john lewis there is a plasma and an LCD hooked up to the same feed next to each other, and the quality difference is obvious, the plasma being far better. The myths about needing to refill with gas every few years is bollocks, and screen burn is becoming so rare, you would need to leave the same picture on for HOURS for it to happen. Same goes for longevity.. With a plasma you are looking at around 30, 000 hours, thats 3 years if you watch 24 hours a day, but 10-15 years in normals terms. Dont believe the myth, go to john lewis, ask for Colin or Derek who will give you even more advice on them.

And above all, dont buy a samsung LCD. Trust me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...